The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 01:36 AM   #61
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Honestly, is all of this commotion worth it? It's been talked about ad nauseam, ADs sell to greys. ADs hoard hot pieces in safes, only to bring them out to clients who spend inordinate amounts of money each year on jewelry and PM watches. This is all clear as day.

There are two sides to every coin in a free market. AD flip to greys, who in turn relieve the AD of hard to move models. It behooves ADs to have stock of hot models to keep extremely wealthy customers happy. Generally, they are small businesses that are trying to stay afloat. I'm not going to begrudge them for doing what they can.

Everyone likes to feel important. The hard truth of the matter is, ADs don't care about losing the business of someone who buys one SS Rolex a year. The person who saves up and buys a GMT to mark their promotion. It's sad, but true. They care about losing the business of the person spending hundreds of thousands on jewelry and Patek PCs.

If you don't meet that criteria....move on. Stop mulling over these obvious facts. Stop lamenting this environment. If it reverts back to how things used to be, then so be it. In the meantime, use this time to explore other, more readily available, models and brands. You won't regret it.
And while you're at it, you might want to think about another hobby.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #62
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepchasing View Post
I understand people wanting to 'name and shame'. Problem is, how do we know they are telling the truth?

Could be a disgruntled customer that received horrible service once, along with countless other reasons.

True, I would probably speak to my local Rolex head office if I had the same experience but I would get details of the ‘deal’ in writing first.

I had a conversation recently with my AD about a Daytona that I’ve been on the list for years for. Apparently it’s all handled by AD head office now, no movement.

I casually mentioned at the end of the visit that it was a shame as my parents were both looking at PM day date watches but not to worry.....huge silence and I said goodbye and went on my way. The salespersons facial expression was worth more than the Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:45 AM   #63
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

If the ROLEX MSRP on the SS BLRO was $17,900 and you could buy one right now from an AD for that price, would you?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:46 AM   #64
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
If the ROLEX MSRP on the SS BLRO was $17,900 and you could buy one right now from an AD for that price, would you?

Depends on how much having your name on the card is worth. That is the delta right? Aside from removing a few links and getting some Rolex swag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:05 AM   #65
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:09 AM   #66
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
No.
Agreed, Rolex is playing the game the right way
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:11 AM   #67
Watchnerd8270
"TRF" Member

They are absolutely in a position to do it, but the problem is legally they cannot. Rolex is set up as a NPO which means they cannot sell their own products and have to use AD's. their way around it is approaching their high profile ones, like Wempe in NYC and have them open up Boutique's on Rolex's behalf, so even still the Rolex Boutique in NYC is technically not owned by them. Definitely sucks though, it has become impossible to get ANYTHING
Watchnerd8270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:23 AM   #68
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Some Rolex ADs may sell their watches on line through a third party and split the profits but I still do not believe this happens often. It is grounds for lost of the Rolex brand and is simply too big a risk for an AD. Lose Rolex and you might as well close up shop. All the other stuff is nothing compared to Rolex and the traffic it brings into the store. On-line sellers get their Rolex inventory from flippers. If your name is not on the card, your watch was flipped by someone who could not resist the quick profit. An AD can make big bucks selling the hard to get pieces to their VIP clients in repeat sales, far more money than a split on a shady risky transaction.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:25 AM   #69
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay M3 View Post
I've tried to avoid talking about this for a little while but I want to hear what others have to say. In a recent conversation with an AD, I was explaining what watch I was looking for and they stated that it's simply not possible to get. After going back and forth for a bit she asked if there was anything that my wife was interested in buying, I told her possibly, she then said to let her know what model and she would then call the owner to see if he was willing to make the deal happen. I let this person know today that my wife was not interested but I would be willing to buy a Tudor and she then called me and said it will have to be a PM piece and that it could not be SS.

This is the same dealer that offered to pull a BLRO out of the safe about 7 months ago if I were to buy a PP of their choosing. This stuff is getting ridiculous. I also recently got confirmation from a grey that they have AD's that source them watches without issue. While the grey dealers source is not in the same area as the AD I'm dealing with it seems like buying from an AD as a regular customer is never going to happen.

With this, my new strategy is to start trying to find that one AD in the middle of nowhere that has yet to start dealing with a grey. An alternative is to just buy a Speedmaster for now and hope that it can hold me over until the market goes back to normal. A large part of me wonders who is feeding the GD's, to me the person that is willing to spend 10k on a watch (most are not on these forums) has no idea that grey's even exist or want to deal with them. If I walk into Louis Vuitton to buy my wife a bag and they don't have it, believe me I'm calling other AD's to find it assuming if I go online I'm about to get ripped off. The members here are only willing to shop from grey's because they know who they can trust, the average consumer I am willing to be does not.

What if Rolex decided to take a page from Apple and start opening their own boutiques and yank the contracts from the current AD's? I actually think they are in a strong enough position to do it. At that point they would have ultimate control over the entire process.
Maybe grey is your best route
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:28 AM   #70
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
The retail price of popular SS Rolex models has gone up 80%. Dealers sell to some of their “best customers” at a dramatic discount. That’s the reality.

Everyone can get the watch they want, for the most part. Are you willing to pay the new price, try to get in good with an AD to get the “best customer” discount, or move on?
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:28 AM   #71
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Have to buy the PM ? OK,just ask if you can have the ss sportie now .If you can,it means they have it in stock ...and that's why the consumer protection act is there .So,why not use it ??
The end of unfair,deceptive and fraudulent business practice in the Rolex world .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #72
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
By selling you a hot model for MRSP the AD is effectively giving you several thousands for free.

Why should he do that ?

Obviously any AD will sell the hot models only to return customers with a spending history.
Trusted sellers are perhaps the number one customers of the AD and they will get all the sought after models because they also buy the slow movers. Makes sense.

Just buy a PM model and you are eligible for a SS. You have to pay to play.

If you agree with this and think it is right you sir are part of the problem. One of the dumbest comments I have read on this forum to date
Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:32 AM   #73
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

I would like to pose a question for you.

If you were running a AD and you had to deal with the realities of the current supply and demand, what would you do differently for your best customers and for your business?
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:34 AM   #74
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroya View Post
If you agree with this and think it is right you sir are part of the problem. One of the dumbest comments I have read on this forum to date
not saying what rolex is doing is right or wrong, but this has been around for a long time with other brands...look at the hermes birkin. good luck buying one before spending tons of money first. whatever rolex is doing is working and they know it
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:35 AM   #75
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Enhance your purchase history the words from a new suited and booted sales guy at the AD , I really wanted to invite him to a white collar boxing match
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:39 AM   #76
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are more factors at play than just price.

To some, if not many, paying almost double MSRP is objectionable, regardless if we are talking a Rolex or a $10 bottle of Fiji. This holds true even if the grey market price is a fair price for the item, and the MSRP is low. Optics matter.

Also, from a fairness perspective, some people object to paying a premium when others don't.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #77
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post

If you were running a AD and you had to deal with the realities of the current supply and demand, what would you do differently for your best customers and for your business?
This is a concept that escapes a lot of people on this forum as of late.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:49 AM   #78
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post

Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:49 AM   #79
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Also, from a fairness perspective, some people object to paying a premium when others don't.
Usually, the people who scream and whine that it’s not fair when they don’t get what they want are called children. Hopefully they mature and grow out of it. Some don’t.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #80
jaroush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalvo View Post
Find a nice Omega dealer and be happy. The watches are stellar and readily available.

Don't sweat it. In the end, it's just a watch. I have all kinds of brands, and I never pay above retail. Rolex makes a great watch, but so do alot of companies. Broaden your horizons and you will likely be happier in the end.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Or look into IWC. Excellent watches and great company. Rolex has some great products but working with grey’s is not the answer. Even the best are questionable. The same ones that get praised here have been dishonest to me.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:02 AM   #81
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
One of the contributor to this dilemma is people supporting grey market. I don’t believe that there’s a shortage on SS. It’s just that most AD rather sell it to grey market. And we all the reason behind that.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:31 AM   #82
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Some Rolex ADs may sell their watches on line through a third party and split the profits but I still do not believe this happens often. It is grounds for lost of the Rolex brand and is simply too big a risk for an AD. Lose Rolex and you might as well close up shop. All the other stuff is nothing compared to Rolex and the traffic it brings into the store. On-line sellers get their Rolex inventory from flippers. If your name is not on the card, your watch was flipped by someone who could not resist the quick profit. An AD can make big bucks selling the hard to get pieces to their VIP clients in repeat sales, far more money than a split on a shady risky transaction.
Agreed that the online sellers get some of their product from the 'flippers'. But, I've recently purchased three BNIB pieces from a TS and my name is on all three warranty cards. So they either originated from a 'flipper' who somehow walked out of the AD with a blank card, or they were acquired by the TS from an AD and the TS filled in the card, or somebody has a stack of blank cards.

Sure, I'd rather pay MSRP. But, just like some refuse to pay over MSRP I refuse to play the AD games.

Last edited by Littletommy; 24 April 2019 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Improper use of 'post' button.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:43 AM   #83
T.Mas
"TRF" Member

“We are selling more units at higher price points and more quickly than we ever have before. Hurry and change something!”

Sounds silly, doesn’t?
T.Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #84
Brikev
"TRF" Member

There are some ADs who play by Rolex rules. I'm wating for a black SkyD. I'm allegedly first on the list for Black (many waiting for the blue face). No deposit, no bundling, no discount- on any
rolex watch. Just a clean deal for a watch at MSRP- which to me is how it should be. I was told it may take a year which is ok with me. I just shifted my business from an AD (that I had a relationship with) becasue they wanted 50% down (cash or check only- no credit card). I might have done that if they could tell me when I was going to get the watch- but if course they couldn't. My 2 cents- Rolex is gonna clean this up and those ADs that don't play by their rules will lose thier Rolex relationship. It's gonna take some time, but they are well on the way to gettting it done.
Brikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:20 AM   #85
peterpl
Banned

I'm surprised there is no legal ramifications on this. I'm sure many of us here work for retailers selling items to end customers.

If I tried to sell something to a customer on the promise of a SS piece 12 months down I'm sure that would fall under some kind of deceptive and illegal practice in some countries. Consumer protection laws should address this - I remember reading and doing a e-learn course about this kind of behavior and how it needs to be avoided.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:24 AM   #86
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
the only answer is to not participate. That means either don't buy any watches or buy from another manufacturer that is better able to meet their supply requirements. Remember it is only a watch. And lots of nice watches are made by lots of fine companies.
+1
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:56 AM   #87
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
I agree, why the rush to get any watch? this market wouldn't be sustainable if people quit playing the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
It is only a watch.
You like the watch and you like the price buy it from AD or trusted gray. I love to get a BLRO.but the max i’m Willing to pay is $11k. It will be great if it comes from my AD, or wait for gray to go down in price. It will take years but what is the rush, it is just a watch.
I’m planning to buy a simple Patek Thai year, no waiting list for this model. It is an opportunity to combine with a BLRO or other hot model. Will see how it goes
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:14 AM   #88
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

The solution is to stop buying from gray dealers
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:19 AM   #89
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay M3 View Post
I wonder if walking in with 15% tip in cash would help the cause. Hell, I'd feel better doing that.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:33 AM   #90
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Yep I dont see the problem with publically naming the AD.

Sure I understand that selling to you at MSRP is just like giving away a few grand but all these other combining with other pieces or jewellry to buy a $10k watch is ludacris.

You need to spend $50k in order for them to "LET" you buy a $10k SS watch. LOL - that is stupid thing to do.

+1. Well said.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote