The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 April 2019, 01:30 AM   #91
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Lmao.

Whatever works.

It’s not PC for me. Just that I genuinely value my teammates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:37 AM   #92
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
if by "teammates" you're referring to employees i have a different viewpoint. i let them know right from the get-go that i regard them as beneath me. i treat them as cattle and nothing more. they are all replaceable and of little value to me otherwise. if i let on that they have value then they may mistakenly think they are on the same plane as myself, which would be preposterous!

So uh...how’s your employees beneath you turn over rate? Do they have to kneel and kiss your ring before each shift?

Old 20 April 2019, 01:56 AM   #93
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
So uh...how’s your employees beneath you turn over rate? Do they have to kneel and kiss your ring before each shift?
I think he's kidding. But I could be wrong lol.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:56 AM   #94
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Ha, some good ones here this morning. I will add my "rub the wrong way" issues:
People who have money and think they can treat everyone they think don't have as much as them like a degenerate. This makes me rage inside and rarely do I let it slide. On many occasions attending fund raisers and galas, when I hear or see a jackass like this who is very demeaning to staff or others will let me rip him or her. I guess I should let it slide, but I enjoy teaching a jackass a life lesson.

Treat EVERYONE the same, because, when I am cut I bleed, and when they are cut they bleed. We are all humans. Period.

I had this conversation with my fiancé, who is a flight attendant and she deals with tens of thousands of people a year, over the past 15 years. I value her opinion a lot, when it comes to the human condition.

Unfortunately, she sees this all the time. She can tell a lot about a person just by how they conduct themselves in the airplane. Before they take off, the cabin crew can generally tell who’s going to give them a problem. Usually, it’s the people you described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:16 AM   #95
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
thank you and i would also like to thank all the little people i had to step on to get to where i am today

Barf. I am All for being successful and making it clear who is boss, trust me I know. But this attitude is exactly what is wrong with this world. You, are exactly what I was referring to. Disgusting and obnoxious way to live. Now go outside and keep squashing people.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #96
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Barf. I am All for being successful and making it clear who is boss, trust me I know. But this attitude is exactly what is wrong with this world. You, are exactly what I was referring to. Disgusting and obnoxious way to live. Now go outside and keep squashing people.

Old 20 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #97
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Same. Well - I hope he is
Old 20 April 2019, 02:24 AM   #98
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Agreed. I think this was all tongue-in-cheek. Certainly hope so.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 02:44 AM   #99
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
if by "teammates" you're referring to employees i have a different viewpoint. i let them know right from the get-go that i regard them as beneath me. i treat them as cattle and nothing more. they are all replaceable and of little value to me otherwise. if i let on that they have value then they may mistakenly think they are on the same plane as myself, which would be preposterous!

Is janice the boss or fred?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #100
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I hope this person is kidding....

Years ago I had a small TEAM in Manila, and I can assure you the corporate culture there is significantly more demeaning. Needless to say the folks we employed were gracious and hard working people.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #101
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
For me, Toyota Prius owners who drive their car as if it is a Formula 1 racer.
I'll add pickup truck drivers that do the same thing....bezels that aren't aligned, and incorrect day and/or date set on a watch.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #102
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Irregardless
What do you mean, be pacific ?

For watches got to be date windows.
Old 20 April 2019, 03:15 AM   #103
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Agreed. I think this was all tongue-in-cheek. Certainly hope so.
Of course he's kidding. And really funny.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:36 AM   #104
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
What do you mean, be pacific ?

For watches got to be date windows.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:17 AM   #105
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
thank you and i would also like to thank all the little people i had to step on to get to where i am today
No way this is for real.

Funny as all heck. But no way. I don’t believe it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:51 AM   #106
SearChart
TechXpert

Well someone released their inner Führer, wtf??!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 06:06 AM   #107
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Yeah actually...I’m thinking of one now...it’s douche bag but I don’t hate the word; I’m more amused by it. I’m well aware of the difference between “slave” and “employee”. My 85 team members also don’t like being referred to employees either; my philosophy of creating a “team approach atmosphere” where it’s a group of individuals working together towards the same goal has earned our company the Best Places to Work award 5 years and counting. I’ll stick with my team members on this one.
The philosophy you've described isn't yours. It's a proven, time-tested one that other companies and endeavors that involve groups of people have used to succeed since time immamorial that you've also adopted. Employees operating as a team or creating a team approach atmosphere at work has been around forever in concept and application because it works. In my particular job creating a team approach atmosphere for the crew it's not merely conducive to productivity/efficiency but is essential for safety. There's a long string of smoking holes in the ground stretching back decades that are directly related and/or could have been avoided if not for a breakdown in teamwork, many of which were the result of an atmosphere-created that stifled or suppressed teamwork. CRM.. originally Cockpit Resource Management and training in response to those type of accidents begat Crew Resource Management training which begat Corporate/Company Resource Management tng and a large part of what is now the Human Factors Industry is based on this concept. Motivating, harnessing and channeling the power of many in one direction for the benefit of all is older than when some people in a long-forgotten village agreed to go out and dig the world's first irrigation ditch.

The philosophy and all of the above, however, is practically a given yet beside the point, which is: If you're aware of the glaring difference in definitions between "Employee" and "Slave" then why do you declare a hatred of the former due to your insistence it sounds like the latter when you know the two aren't the same thing at all?

Purposely pushing the erroneous notion that an (obviously) neutral word like "Employee" holds such an extremely negative connotation that it's use must be avoided and a substitution deemed necessary seems like a classic case of finding an answer ("Let's use "Team Member" because...) to a problem manufactured for the sole purpose of fitting it (...the word "Employee" is derogatory/Sounds like "Slavery!") in order to create the illusion of taking a progressive, great leap forward.

The entire Feelgood Corporate-speak Lexicon was written and gets re-written in much the same manner, for the same illusionary reason.

If you personally prefer the term "team member" because you believe it instills some sort of of Rah Rah, "We're all working together/you're all important to Success" Effect that you don't think the word "Employee" does in your work force, so be it. I suppose it's wonderful for the super-sensitive types that must be explicitly reminded of their worth to a company at every turn in order to get through the day and play well with others, but it's hardly necessary to try and re-write the dictionary, imagining and (mis)applying a definition that doesn't exist in order to do so. Just use "Team Member" because you think it's better without the accompanying BS of "Employee" suddenly being a dirty word.

Wondering: If "Employee" is a dirty word because it conjures up notions of Slavery, is the word "Work" considered too demeaning a term to use as well since slaves also had to work? If so, is "Work" beneath a Team Member due to it's Employee (therefore Slavery-esque) connotation so Team Members instead do something like "Freely engage in cooperative, mutually-beneficial group activities"?

Note: A quick look at at many Companies websites listed as "Best Places to Work" for many years running reveal that they term their employees "Employees".

SAS, for instance, the world's largest private software company, a longtime fixture on Best Places to Work lists (21+ years running on Fortune's, and counting), is considered a pioneer in workplace culture that many other companies large and small have emulated (Google, etc), has thousands upon thousands of employees around the world and still refers to them as "Employees" without anyone seeming too fussed (let alone "hating") about it.

Hmmm. Imagine that. Employees who know and work as a team towards common goals also knowing there's more to creating a team approach atmosphere than superficial labeling and invented definitions. Like SAS and others, I guess I'll just stick to the dictionary as written.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:08 AM   #108
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Even when you're obviously kidding that'll trigger a bunch who'll pretend not to know so as not to miss a chance for some virtue-signaling.
Old 20 April 2019, 07:35 AM   #109
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The philosophy you've described isn't yours. It's a proven, time-tested one that other companies and endeavors that involve groups of people have used to succeed since time immamorial that you've also adopted. Employees operating as a team or creating a team approach atmosphere at work has been around forever in concept and application because it works. In my particular job creating a team approach atmosphere for the crew it's not merely conducive to productivity/efficiency but is essential for safety. There's a long string of smoking holes in the ground stretching back decades that are directly related and/or could have been avoided if not for a breakdown in teamwork, many of which were the result of an atmosphere-created that stifled or suppressed teamwork. CRM.. originally Cockpit Resource Management and training in response to those type of accidents begat Crew Resource Management training which begat Corporate/Company Resource Management tng and a large part of what is now the Human Factors Industry is based on this concept. Motivating, harnessing and channeling the power of many in one direction for the benefit of all is older than when some people in a long-forgotten village agreed to go out and dig the world's first irrigation ditch.

The philosophy and all of the above, however, is practically a given yet beside the point, which is: If you're aware of the glaring difference in definitions between "Employee" and "Slave" then why do you declare a hatred of the former due to your insistence it sounds like the latter when you know the two aren't the same thing at all?

Purposely pushing the erroneous notion that an (obviously) neutral word like "Employee" holds such an extremely negative connotation that it's use must be avoided and a substitution deemed necessary seems like a classic case of finding an answer ("Let's use "Team Member" because...) to a problem manufactured for the sole purpose of fitting it (...the word "Employee" is derogatory/Sounds like "Slavery!") in order to create the illusion of taking a progressive, great leap forward.

The entire Feelgood Corporate-speak Lexicon was written and gets re-written in much the same manner, for the same illusionary reason.

If you personally prefer the term "team member" because you believe it instills some sort of of Rah Rah, "We're all working together/you're all important to Success" Effect that you don't think the word "Employee" does in your work force, so be it. I suppose it's wonderful for the super-sensitive types that must be explicitly reminded of their worth to a company at every turn in order to get through the day and play well with others, but it's hardly necessary to try and re-write the dictionary, imagining and (mis)applying a definition that doesn't exist in order to do so. Just use "Team Member" because you think it's better without the accompanying BS of "Employee" suddenly being a dirty word.

Wondering: If "Employee" is a dirty word because it conjures up notions of Slavery, is the word "Work" considered too demeaning a term to use as well since slaves also had to work? If so, is "Work" beneath a Team Member due to it's Employee (therefore Slavery-esque) connotation so Team Members instead do something like "Freely engage in cooperative, mutually-beneficial group activities"?

Note: A quick look at at many Companies websites listed as "Best Places to Work" for many years running reveal that they term their employees "Employees".

SAS, for instance, the world's largest private software company, a longtime fixture on Best Places to Work lists (21+ years running on Fortune's, and counting), is considered a pioneer in workplace culture that many other companies large and small have emulated (Google, etc), has thousands upon thousands of employees around the world and still refers to them as "Employees" without anyone seeming too fussed (let alone "hating") about it.

Hmmm. Imagine that. Employees who know and work as a team towards common goals also knowing there's more to creating a team approach atmosphere than superficial labeling and invented definitions. Like SAS and others, I guess I'll just stick to the dictionary as written.
Do you type all this up while bored senseless on long haul flights, or whilst gazing out the window of some foreign motel room waiting for your next turn at the yoke?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 08:11 AM   #110
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Do you type all this up while bored senseless on long haul flights, or whilst gazing out the window of some foreign motel room waiting for your next turn at the yoke?
I hate the word "Gazing". To me it sounds like someone is leering so I always substitute "Eyeballing" or "To Scope".

In answer, I first think it when I'm drinking bourbon which to me tastes like eating vinegar-coated razor blades, then write it down later.

Now I'm going to sleep, which to me sounds like being slowly squashed alive under Abrams tank treads so I use the term "Dream Healing" instead.
Old 20 April 2019, 09:03 AM   #111
swils8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post

Yes I was kidding...

Old 20 April 2019, 09:20 AM   #112
swils8610

Wow. What a thread. The OP asked what drives you nuts. I simply responded with the word employee. It’s a personal opinion of mine. I don’t like. So what. I also don’t like sushi. I don’t claim to have invented a philosophy. I do what I feel makes sense for me and the people that work around me. I believe in hiring the best people and then getting out of there way so they can do their job. I seek input from the team members...sorry if team members offend anyone. I’m 47 years old...I’m not a millennial, I’m not sensitive, I’m not a flower. I’m an old school goal driven curmudgeon. My team members know who is in charge. When democracy fails, dictatorship reigns. I want my team members to have fun at work...I believe they will be more productive. Its how I choose to run the business. It’s served me well for many years. We have low turnover and many happy team members. I can’t do the job all on my own...hence the team approach. People want to feel they are making a difference and working towards the same goal. I believe in karma...not good luck or bad luck. Whatever works for me may not work for others. So be it.

Old 20 April 2019, 10:27 AM   #113
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Even when you're obviously kidding that'll trigger a bunch who'll pretend not to know so as not to miss a chance for some virtue-signaling.
to quote an old quip by the legendary Don Rickles... "if i meant it then it wouldn't be funny".
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:21 AM   #114
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Wow. What a thread. The OP asked what drives you nuts. I simply responded with the word employee. It’s a personal opinion of mine. I don’t like. So what. I also don’t like sushi. I don’t claim to have invented a philosophy. I do what I feel makes sense for me and the people that work around me. I believe in hiring the best people and then getting out of there way so they can do their job. I seek input from the team members...sorry if team members offend anyone. I’m 47 years old...I’m not a millennial, I’m not sensitive, I’m not a flower. I’m an old school goal driven curmudgeon. My team members know who is in charge. When democracy fails, dictatorship reigns. I want my team members to have fun at work...I believe they will be more productive. Its how I choose to run the business. It’s served me well for many years. We have low turnover and many happy team members. I can’t do the job all on my own...hence the team approach. People want to feel they are making a difference and working towards the same goal. I believe in karma...not good luck or bad luck. Whatever works for me may not work for others. So be it.

i guess a few of us mistakenly thought the cute title of this thread in the "open discussion forum" was to encourage some fun tongue-in-cheek responses but thankfully there are a few like yourself who are willing to set the record straight on how they treat people around them, even though that is hardly a point of interest and mostly common-sense related. however it's this sort of taking one's self too seriously and pointless pontificating that makes for fantastic joke fodder.

now...gather your "teammates" 'round for a big group hug, remind them of how special they are, but first make sure you button up your shirt before your heart falls out.
Old 20 April 2019, 12:20 PM   #115
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:

and we have a winner! aside from letting everyone know your superior moral stance we have the added bonus for no extra charge of learning you're successful and the boss. we can trust you as you know. you even graced us with a fancy car in your icon just in case there is any confusion.

i'm what's wrong with this world, disgusting and obnoxious? well my friend it's going to be one or the other: either despite being a successful boss you are so gullible to have bought the bridge i was selling, or you just can't help yourself and must use any opportunity, however feeble, to sanctimoniously blow your own horn.

of course i'm also saying all this tongue-in-cheek
Old 20 April 2019, 12:32 PM   #116
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow. What a thread. The OP asked what drives you nuts. I simply responded with the word employee. It’s a personal opinion of mine. I don’t like. So what. I also don’t like sushi.
Unlike one's taste for sushi, facts aren't matters of opinion, they're looked-up. In this case, in a dictionary. So, if words were people you'd be found guilty of Libel and sent to Vocabulary Prison, not for hating "Employee" or substituting it with "Team Member" (which is your prerogative), but for the intentional, public defamation of it's character by willfully attributing to it connotations of Slavery of which there are none.

The honorable Word Judge would sentence you to sitting alone at a desk in a tiny cell to write "I will not try to re-write the Dictionary in order to unfairly attack innocent words." 500,000 times with the possibility of early release for good penmanship.

No worries though because meanwhile, as you serve your time in Detention and despite your Crime against Language, your business will carry-on due to the high level of teamwork exhibited by your employees.
Old 20 April 2019, 12:52 PM   #117
swils8610

What drives you nuts????,

janice&fred, perhaps you’re having an identity crisis...

CRM114...were you potty trained with threat of torture??

What drives me nuts?? Douche bags...

Old 20 April 2019, 01:06 PM   #118
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The curiosity why some long standing members are banned. I know its mods decision to not disclose but yeah not knowing truly drives me nuts!!

Since you asked in this thread.. posting my thoughts!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 01:14 PM   #119
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
janice&fred, perhaps you’re having an identity crisis...

CRM114...were you potty trained with threat of torture??

What drives me nuts?? Douche bags...

just having some light-hearted fun shannon. far be it for us to start throwing around nasty names.
Old 20 April 2019, 01:22 PM   #120
swils8610

Fair enough! My apologies..