The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2019, 12:58 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
First, don’t quit. They want that because it protects them from a lawsuit, and they know the relationship is done and so is the trust, even though it’s just business. We also don’t know WHO told you on your side? Was it HR, boss, Jim in the mail room etc... this matters.

Second, we have NO idea what industry you’re in, what your agreement states, and what the local laws are. Or if you’re even a W2 or 1099 or whatever with/out an NDA. ETC.

Third, pay the $500 and get the best legal consultation you can and wait for their move. You could potentially sue both parties for being clusterducks.

(4th, Change LinkedIn setting to Looking).

It’ll work out!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:14 AM   #32
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
Well...current employer said they think I should resign today.
I’m sorry you are going through this hard time. Especially since you’ve done nothing wrong. It seems like talking to a lawyer would be a good idea. Just remember the legal system is so very slow. Just have confidence in yourself and know that things will turn out better for you.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:35 AM   #33
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
One of my first real jobs 40 years ago my boss/owner would let guys go if they were slow and you asked for days off to interview at Larger companies or if the Company called and asked questions like your potential new employer did. We were not paid well and had little to no benefits so it was natural to want to improve your situation.

My Boss was decent with me and in the 4 years I was there I put in 100% and did what I could to always help out. My boss moved me up at a pretty good pace so when I had the opportunity to interview at a better job I told him about it and that I needed a specific day off rather than calling in sick like everyone else did and going behind his back. This usually got me in the dog house and I was then on weekends and nights for 6+ months afterwards but things would eventually get better again.

When I finally got the chance to make the jump and get a life and not live on a beeper I also gave him 2 weeks notice. Nobody ever did that because you would most likely be let go and if you were counting on those 2 weeks pay you didnt get it. Well he ended up keeping me on the next 2 weeks because he liked me and I did a good job for him. Plus he had to train my replacement which wasnt easy.

So sometimes its hard to be honest and do the right things in either direction for fear of retribution. Sucks what happened to you but may be more motivation for you to jump ship sooner rather than later. Your obviously not happy where your at now.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:39 AM   #34
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
Well...current employer said they think I should resign today.
Well, you were looking for a new job anyway.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:54 AM   #35
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Absolutely terrible situation to be in. I’ve never heard of something like this. Reaching out to your current employer is an incredibly careless move. I mean, are they intentionally trying to F— you?

Honestly, I would be very hesitant to work for a company that does things like this. And like you said, now you’re in a bad spot with your current employer. Was it your boss who asked you to resign or somebody else? Have you had a heart to heart yet? You have nothing to lose at this point. Id at least try to spin this situation in such a way that your boss will be understanding of why you are looking at another company.

Sorry about all of this. Such a crappy situation...
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:03 AM   #36
Thug
"TRF" Member

If your being asked to resign because you’re looking elsewhere, I’m not sure I would want to work for your current employer...
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:09 AM   #37
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Don’t resign.

Speak to a lawyer ASAP, then follow his advice.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:11 AM   #38
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Very unethical. Seems intentional. You may have upset someone during the process. Still shouldn’t warrant behavior like this. Very unfortunate.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:35 AM   #39
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Very unprofessional of your prospective employer. I would also question their integrity as well, although I'm interested in their intentions.

Did you follow-up with them about it?
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:42 AM   #40
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. Totally unacceptable. I would not resign. It’s not a crime to seek other opportunities for employment. The new company is way out of line. Maybe they did it intentionally so they’d be sure to be able to hire you. I’d sit tight. I’d also consult an attorney. Def do not resign. If your current employer gave the prospective employer any negative feedback about you, that is also not legal. When we get requests for references on past employees, we simply will confirm the dates they worked for us. Sit tight. Don’t do anything. Let it play out. Also, if you filled out an application, it could be in the fine print giving the perspective employer permission to contact your current employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:54 AM   #41
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
What a dick move.

Not only does it make things seriously awkward at your current place with a hornet's nest of potential headaches, but it calls into question whether or not you would want to work in a new place that does this sort of stuff.

Sort of like Axe Capital douching on Taylor's new firm.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #42
nick800
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments.

My boss is who told me to resign today. It was my boss that received the inquiry from the potential new company by the first person I interviewed with, who is not in HR.

I don't think I pissed anyone off during the interview process, as I have a plane ticket paid for by them to go meet with the CEO in a few days.

I"m not sure the industry matters. I've basically been a senior exec across multiple industries my entire career. This is a move from one industry to a totally different one.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #43
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I’d still say don’t resign and continue pursuing the new job in the mean time. I’d also not mention it to your perspective new employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:19 AM   #44
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nothing unusual about any of this.

A prospective employer would be remiss if he/she did not get input from a current employer; nobody wants to hire somebody, especially an executive, blind. You guys who think otherwise have never had the responsibility of hiring quality staff.

The current employer is showing poor form in asking for a resignation just because an employee is interested in advancement. If the employee is valuable then negotiations, in-house, are in order. Not sure that this is a good boss to have.
Old 19 April 2019, 03:24 AM   #45
Star Ferry
Banned

I would say don't resign. Then you have a gap. If they could fire you immediately, they already would have. I'd also bring this issue to the prospective employer's attention (not the request for resignation, but the general issue of their email) and call an employment lawyer today
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:29 AM   #46
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

A prospective employer would be remiss if he/she did not get input from a current employer; nobody wants to hire somebody, especially an executive, blind. You guys who think otherwise have never had the responsibility of hiring quality staff.

The current employer is showing poor form in asking for a resignation just because an employee is interested in advancement. If the employee is valuable then negotiations, in-house, are in order. Not sure that this is a good boss to have.
I think right now, in 2019 and our increasingly litigious society, the email is unusual. Big corporations rarely even comment on previous employees anymore. they refer the inquiror to HR who will say "No comment" or at most verify the dates of employment. and inquiries are to prior not current, employers
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 03:49 AM   #47
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Quote:

I've placed hundreds of executives in the last 20 years and never...and I mean NEVER...has a potential employer reached out to a current one without the candidate's knowledge. Often times they can be friends with their boss who will help out knowing they're leaving but never ever without consent.
Often times offers of employment can be stipulated with a reference check at the current employer after resignation but that's as far as I've seen it.
Someone tried to do you some harm (first person you interviewed with might not want the competition and didn't want you there) or just flat out irresponsible.
Either way - tough spot.
Don't resign. It's not against the law or your contract to want to look elsewhere.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:22 AM   #48
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

This situation is very unusual. Nobody chats with the current employer anymore, unless they happen to already know each other (common in the defense industry). You get answers about the candidate from his references and his background investigation, not from his current employer. The references will be skewed favorable, but the current employer is a total wild card - the candidate is leaving for a reason.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:38 AM   #49
nick800
"TRF" Member

I called the HR contact at the prospective employer. She was horrified and apologized profusely (remember, it was not HR that contacted my current employer). I just politely explained the predicament I am now in, and asked if she had any ideas.

They have a process, which I understand, that included meeting with the CEO. Naturally. She is trying to see if there is an early opportunity to meet in person, but he is currently traveling. Which I knew prior to this event.

So...we'll just see what happens. I'm not going to resign. If they want to fire me, then oh well. Most of this is out of my control now.

What I really wanted to say was: Given that I am being told to resign today, you need to figure out how to make me an offer by end of day. I know my references came back impeccable. It is possible for your CEO to get on the phone this afternoon, or your risk losing your top candidate (as stated by you). He'll know within 5 minutes if I'm a fit or not. So let's get on with it because now I'm in a bad situation from one of your rogue employees.

But, I find it is usually better to lead people down the path to making the right decision rather than telling them what the answer is.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:43 AM   #50
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Talk about painting you into a corner. That sucks.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:46 AM   #51
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
My take if I were the CEO of the prospective employer is why is the current employer not trying to get you to stay? I would not have shared (and if you have not do not) the fact that the current employer asked you to resign. That conveys more than I think you intend to convey.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 04:49 AM   #52
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
*delete - hadn't read entire thread
Old 19 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #53
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Do keep us updated. Never heard of this type of thing happening so openly.

Sit tight. No rash moves. See how things play out, then act accordingly.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:02 AM   #54
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
It’s a crappy situation, but hope this works out better for you in the end. I’d never push out a good team member I found was looking. I think your decision to look elsewhere was wise.

Best wishes.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:04 AM   #55
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Do keep us updated. Never heard of this type of thing happening so openly.

Sit tight. No rash moves. See how things play out, then act accordingly.

This. Take a deep breath - and be in control of everything you can control. Rest will work out itself.
Old 19 April 2019, 05:08 AM   #56
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
good luck op, will continue to follow thread.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:53 AM   #57
artschool
"TRF" Member

you should do the honourable thing and resign with what's left of your integrity intact.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:55 AM   #58
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
you should do the honourable thing and resign with what's left of your integrity intact.
Not sure what he did wrong that would jeopardize his integrity.
He was looking for a new job.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 05:56 AM   #59
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
Not sure what he did wrong that would jeopardize his integrity.
He was looking for a new job.
why would his current employer wish to retain him when he has no loyalty?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:14 AM   #60
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
why would his current employer wish to retain him when he has no loyalty?
True. Probably more to this than we know. We are only getting one side of the story and am afraid it is all we will get.

Crappy predicament to be in for sure.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote