The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2019, 11:54 PM   #151
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Sure, if you can be without work for a while. Even then, most won't without some sort of prospect on the horizon, or a real special skill set that has would-be slave drivers and their headhunter minions knocking down your door.

In either case, I'm glad for you and your friends. I enjoy your input here and now know how you have the time for us.
Im just saying. Its okay to leave without a job...im sure there are a lot of opinions on this.

The lessons ive learned in life around works is
1) there is no loyalty in corporate america either way...employees or employers
2) run from the places that try to make you feel that you should be lucky to have that job.
3) know your worth.
4) getting fired or leaving a job is not failure...its an opportunity for a fresh start and re-assess. (It would be nice to have some rainy day funds).

One of my companies Use to say to their employees...

‘Our assets are the people that Walk out the door every day’. This is the type of place one should look Try to find a job.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:58 PM   #152
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterBracelet View Post
I'm sure your nearest McDonalds will be hiring.
That’s your input, eh?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:01 AM   #153
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Im just saying. Its okay to leave without a job...im sure there are a lot of opinions on this.

Not if your family is going to starve

The lessons ive learned in life around works is
1) there is no loyalty in corporate america either way...employees or employers
2) run from the places that try to make you feel that you should be lucky to have that job.
3) know your worth.
4) getting fired or leaving a job is not failure...its an opportunity for a fresh start and re-assess. (It would be nice to have some rainy day funds).

I agree with each of these.
One of my companies Use to say to their employees...

‘Out assets are the people that Walk out the door every day’. This is the type of place one should look Try to find a job.

Nice to hear too
And still, most of the real world needs to work to put food on the table.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:24 AM   #154
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
And still, most of the real world needs to work to put food on the table.
I agree with the not starving part... but probably recommend not buying a rolex, if finances are that close to the line.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:38 AM   #155
OysterBracelet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s your input, eh?
OP is about to be fired/resign. It keeps food on the table at least.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:56 AM   #156
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:

Charming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 03:22 AM   #157
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Really, that’s your response? I hope that was your attempt at a failed joke. Not very funny. I would expect that comment from a teenager, but not an adult and or at least an educated one.

To the OP. I can understand the uneasiness you must be feeling. Unfortunately wether or not you were happy leading up to this or not with your employer, I wonder. I guess it doesn’t matter whatever led up to this change of employment. I guess you just wanted change, but only a year and then your jumping at another offer. Maybe you were set up as your loyalty was in question here?
I don’t know, I just hope it works out for you.

Good Luck

John

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:44 PM   #158
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Luckily I've never been put into this type of situation but at the same time I thought it was illegal to call unless it's to HR to verify employment only. Anything else is actually against the law (I believe) in California. Hmm... I would not resign until you are offered the new job. If you still want it. Strange there isn't some sort of decorum around something like this.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:25 AM   #159
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Hey OP, any update on this?
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:06 PM   #160
nick800
"TRF" Member

No real update. Still at current employer. Prospective employer says I have to meet with CEO prior to an offer, but that I'm really the only viable candidate.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:07 PM   #161
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Best of luck with the situation. Cheers, Tim
chieftd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #162
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
No real update. Still at current employer. Prospective employer says I have to meet with CEO prior to an offer, but that I'm really the only viable candidate.
Stand fast.

Stay the course. But imho, you should also be looking elsewhere. Get a recruiter ASAP and check your options.

Don’t leave unless forced.

But given the situation, the fact that the CEO has not made it a point to meet with you, that’s extremely concerning. If it was a mistake before, it’s not now. And his lack of expediency is the biggest red flag so far.

Old 24 April 2019, 11:05 PM   #163
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Like I said - I've been doing this for over 20 years.
I could tell stories that would make everyone's heads shake, but even this is a new one.
I agree with one sentiment though.
If the CEO of the perspective company didn't drop EVERYTHING to make this right including getting you in front of him/her and scrambling to make you happy....I would be questioning the ethics involved in the entire organization.
Old saying....fish rots from the head down and I've found it to be pretty accurate.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:22 PM   #164
nick800
"TRF" Member

The CEO is traveling, which I knew prior to this.

I do have other interviews going on. I think the biggest overall mistake companies make in hiring is dragging the process on forever. Oh, and most people in HR are incompetent.
Old 24 April 2019, 11:26 PM   #165
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
I think the biggest overall mistake companies make in hiring is dragging the process on forever.
Indeed.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:51 PM   #166
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
The clients that get the best people are the ones that can knock out the entire hiring process in a couple or 3 weeks. Time kills deals...always.
Dragging your heals loses all the excitement and momentum and inevitably leads to people thinking....how badly do they really want me? If it's this hard to get things organized now, how bad will it be if I start working there?
Travelling or not....phones, skype...man even a facetime call would be in order to make up for this huge clusterf+_# that one of his people created.
I know it would bother me if one of my people made a mistake that big and I'd be bending over backwards to make it right.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:08 AM   #167
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
The clients that get the best people are the ones that can knock out the entire hiring process in a couple or 3 weeks. Time kills deals...always.
Dragging your heals loses all the excitement and momentum and inevitably leads to people thinking....how badly do they really want me? If it's this hard to get things organized now, how bad will it be if I start working there?
Travelling or not....phones, skype...man even a facetime call would be in order to make up for this huge clusterf+_# that one of his people created.
I know it would bother me if one of my people made a mistake that big and I'd be bending over backwards to make it right.
Who knows if he is even aware? That would take someone admitting to the mistake.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:27 AM   #168
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I do have other interviews going on. I think the biggest overall mistake companies make in hiring is dragging the process on forever. Oh, and most people in HR are incompetent.
Extenuating circumstances.

This demands some kind of alternate solution. There is always a way.

Old 25 April 2019, 01:00 AM   #169
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think the biggest overall mistake companies make in hiring is dragging the process on forever. Oh, and most people in HR are incompetent.
Couldn't agree more. Hang in there.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:06 AM   #170
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Who knows if he is even aware? That would take someone admitting to the mistake.
That would be a red flag for me at your level. Bad news doesn’t get better with time, and the organization hiding a FU like this from the boss would say a lot about the character of the leadership there. If he does know, and hasn’t reached out, that says a lot as well.

Do you want to leave the current position so badly that you’re willing to roll the dice on the sh1t show at the prospective company?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 01:11 AM   #171
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Extenuating circumstances.

This demands some kind of alternate solution. There is always a way.
Like I said. Who knows if he even knows. Someone would have to inform him of a major screw up. Perhaps even breaking some law. They may just be trying to cover their own ass.
Old 25 April 2019, 01:12 AM   #172
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
That would be a red flag for me at your level. Bad news doesn’t get better with time, and the organization hiding a FU like this from the boss would say a lot about the character of the leadership there. If he does know, and hasn’t reached out, that says a lot as well.

Do you want to leave the current position so badly that you’re willing to roll the dice on the sh1t show at the prospective company?
I’m going to go to the CEO interview, but will be paying attention to see what it seems like is going on.
Old 25 April 2019, 01:35 AM   #173
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Like I said. Who knows if he even knows. Someone would have to inform him of a major screw up. Perhaps even breaking some law. They may just be trying to cover their own ass.
Fair enough.

Tough spot you are in.

But I honestly think, based on what I have seen, you need to take action. Bull by the balls type of deal. This is your life.

Action is needed. Find him on LinkedIn. Send an email. Make him aware.

Old 25 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #174
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough.

Tough spot you are in.

But I honestly think, based on what I have seen, you need to take action. Bull by the balls type of deal. This is your life.

Action is needed. Find him on LinkedIn. Send an email. Make him aware.

This is actually a pretty good strategy if you don’t hear anything by COP tomorrow:

Scenario 1: The new CEO knows. This then forces him to act and do something. Possibly he let’s on that he knew. OP then seriously considers why he was getting the silent treatment until now.

Scenario 2: CEO doesn’t know. And of course wants to make things right.

I would just avoid any obvious finger pointing in the contact to him. That’s never a good look from someone joining an organisation.

Hoping this all works out well for you. Can imagine it’s a stressful spot right now, so keep your chin up.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #175
nick800
"TRF" Member

That’s a tough one. Going around HR, and other points of contact, to the CEO. If he doesn’t know, then some folks would get in deep shit. Then if I did get the job, I’d be hated by some from day one.

I think I’ll just see what happens during the planned meeting. If he acknowledges the situation, that says something. If he doesn’t, that says something too.
Old 25 April 2019, 04:55 AM   #176
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Why is the CEO personally involved unless it’s a very senior role? If it is a very senior role and I have one highly desirable candidate, I’d drop what I was doing to at least apologize and schedule a conversation ASAP. “Traveling” is a poor excuse. Business still has to get done on the road.

There is zero chance I wouldn’t know about this, as my head of HR would have let me know what the idiot hiring manager did, and proposed a plan of action.

I don’t see a scenario where this is a healthy organization. CEO is either micro-managing hiring at a level too low. He has a staff that is too incompetent or CYA or afraid of him to engage a problem like this head-on. Or he is appropriately involved, knows what happened, and doesn’t care - or isn’t excited about you as a potential candidate.

Hoping for the best, but your decision to keep interviewing and potentially talk to some recruiters is a good one.

Good luck.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 05:23 AM   #177
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

A couple of points from someone who has lived for a while.

1. Do a good job at the job you currently have BUT keep your eyes on your career. If you aren't advancing and trying to advance, the years pass you by and your overall career will suffer. If staying at the same company offers good advancement great, BUT usually advancement only comes from changing companies.

2. Never apologize for trying to advance your career in a positive way. You should ALWAYS be "looking".

Any boss or CEO who isn't also looking to advance THEIR careers are either lying or lazy.

Good luck in the outcome of this.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 04:51 AM   #178
LarsFS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'll be alright, man. With 300 employees, it may well be that the CEO was not aware of what ended up transpiring. In any case, you'll get a good read of them when you have your meeting, and it'll be easier for you to work out whether this rogue employee's behavior is characteristic of the firm, or them as an individual.

I'd try to stay calm, breathe - like someone else suggested - and know that you'll be alright, in this next job or the one you'll take instead.

Best of luck - the universe tends to unfold as it should :)
LarsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:12 AM   #179
JohnnyBoots
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Huge mistake! I also think that says a lot about the hiring company not being able to make efficient decisions. I took another gig years back after going through a 4 month process with another company. They were shocked when I pulled out. The other candidate should have sent me a bottle of whisky.
JohnnyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 08:07 AM   #180
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote