The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 01:52 AM   #61
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Stayed loyal to them back when grey dealers were undercutting them and offering big discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:11 AM   #62
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

2014: Bought the wife a DJ31 and myself a Tag
Last November: TT CHNR (just asked for it)
Late January: Black Daytona C
Early February: D-Blue Deepsea

All from the same AD local to me. I'd browse around but would only buy here regardless of stock that I see from other AD's.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:28 AM   #63
Gmtiilover
"TRF" Member

When I decided on my first Rolex (BLNR) in 2016, I made a few calls to local ADs. Six months here, impossible there. Then I called a local AD who told me it was in stock and available. I jumped in my car and arrived at the AD to find another customer trying on and purchasing the watch. I got back on my phone and broadened my search, calling more ADs until I found one in Manhattan that had just received a new shipment with a BLNR that had my name on it if I came that day. I purchased the watch with no history at the AD. This all happened in one day.
Fast forward to this month, when I decided to add an Air King to my small collection. I walked into my local AD with no history and was told that an Air King was a reasonable request and that I would be put on a waitlist. A few days later I happened to pass a different AD in the area that had one in the case. I was told that it had just arrived and I bought it on the spot.

Gmtiilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:05 AM   #64
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtiilover View Post
When I decided on my first Rolex (BLNR) in 2016, I made a few calls to local ADs. Six months here, impossible there. Then I called a local AD who told me it was in stock and available. I jumped in my car and arrived at the AD to find another customer trying on and purchasing the watch. I got back on my phone and broadened my search, calling more ADs until I found one in Manhattan that had just received a new shipment with a BLNR that had my name on it if I came that day. I purchased the watch with no history at the AD. This all happened in one day.
Fast forward to this month, when I decided to add an Air King to my small collection. I walked into my local AD with no history and was told that an Air King was a reasonable request and that I would be put on a waitlist. A few days later I happened to pass a different AD in the area that had one in the case. I was told that it had just arrived and I bought it on the spot.

You had almost no emotion when talking about the customer that tried on and bought the watch that was available after driving down. Yes, it wasn't technically reserved, but that's one heck of a coincidence, isn't it?

I would have been slightly pissed, but I guess that's just me. Good on you for continuing to search out the watch at other AD's, regardless of purchase history. It's great to hear that strategy actually works.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:44 AM   #65
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Did nothing for a SD43 but wait after contacting the AD.
Same here walked in put down a 20% deposit on the SD43 and it came in 5 weeks later. Incidentally, someone ordered a DSSD Blue that came in the same day they didn't want that was offered to me as well. I tried it but it was too big for my wrist, SD43 just fit better.
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:45 AM   #66
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just the money to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:41 AM   #67
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
One guy on this form sent his wife into the AD. I'm not sure what activity or things she did with the Rolex manager.... she was able to leave with a stainless steel Rolex. Read into that as you choose. It does make me think about hiring a ______ to visit my FL AD sales guy Nick.
Now there's a guy who thinks outside the box. I like that.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:50 AM   #68
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
So I thought it would be interesting for everyone who has purchased a hard to source stainless sports model to give a little bit of background on how they were able to “convince” their AD to sell them a specific watch (I.e Daytona’s, skydweller, green sub, gmt’s). How many pieces did you have to buy before you got the call? or how much did you have to spend? (If that question is not allowed please ignore it lol). Which watch did you end up with? And how long did you wait?

According to my AD I am next in line for a couple. However I am not holding my breath. If I end up receiving the call, I’ll come back and answer my own questions. Until then I will keep my mouth shut , so that I don’t jinx myself.

My 16610 was bought in 1999, however a U series so was apparently sitting around for a while before I picked it up. Different times. My Daytona took me much longer and several watches bought at the same AD to establish the relationship. Then one day, they had one “in the safe”. Funny how that happens.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:52 AM   #69
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Walked into random ADs a couple years ago and walked out with the watches I wanted at big discounts. Ahh the good ole days..

If an AD demands loyalty, tell them to adopt a dog.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:52 AM   #70
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
All I had to do was call and ask for a Submariner date - they said.. 'Hold on (I hear him ask another guy in the store) Do we have a Submariner in the back?' (comes back to me) I think we may have one in the back.. oh, no sorry.. but I think we can get one for you pretty soon though'.

A week later they called me in..
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:27 PM   #71
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
I think one day, somebody is going to report that they took a wrinkly 75 year old AD sales assistant called Edna away for the weekend and emerged looking pale but wearing a blue sky dweller.
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:51 PM   #72
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Purchased my 216570 Polar about a year ago from Ben Bridge Seattle. I think the shortage was only a few months old at the time, got lucky in that the one I wanted wasn't as in demand. In the case that day was a Subc with date (don't know my references) which they told me was the only 1 in Ben Bridge's nationwide stock. They also had a black 216570, a couple different Yachtmasters, Air King, perhaps an Explorer and if memory serves correct a Steel and Yellow Gold two tone GMTii.
RBradleigh is online now   Reply With Quote