The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2024, 10:47 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I bought another watch that I didn't get

It was an Omega, which is why this is not in the main forum.

It was one of those "I'm kind of bored, let's go browse the forum" days and I found a link to a very nice example of a Seamaster chrono on eBay, I've always wanted one of those, I did a little research on the price and set my limit, bid on it and won.

Oh great, another watch. I need another watch, right? I've only got one left wrist, how many Swiss watches does a boy need? And I've already got a Speedmaster, so theoretically the Omega chrono itch has been scratched. But hey, it's only money.

So I paid for it, off it went to the eBay authenticator, and then two days later I got a refund from eBay. What? Did it fail authentication?

No, the poor seller was on his way to the post office, and his car got broken-into and the watch (and other stuff) was stolen. Wow. That sucks.

So I'm half sorry that I won't get this really nice example, and half happy that I've avoided another watch that I don't need.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has bought a watch on a whim and then wondered, "what was I thinking"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-02-14 074719.jpg (78.4 KB, 417 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 11:58 PM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Nice watch, maybe next time. And yes, I’ve had that feeling too
Old 15 February 2024, 01:45 AM   #3
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Unfortunate turn of events. The word need should be banned from this forum completely.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:47 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm so sorry to hear this, Michael. Thankfully these are easy to find on eBay or Chrono24 if you decide to do it again.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 05:26 AM   #5
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

I actually picked one up on a whim on WUS about 6 months ago and love mine! Its a really 'big' watch, but it really is a "go anywhere" type of watch, being water tight even with chrono buttons being pushed!

However, mine had a noisy rotor and hadn't been serviced yet, so it has been with a watchmaker for a few months now (apparently it has a slightly differently designed case around the chrono pushers that is making getting it water-tight again difficult, that he and Omega have been going back and forth trying to figure out!).
ErichKeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 09:54 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting story and sorry for the seller.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:21 AM   #7
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Congrats on the half incoming. You got the thrill of buying a watch, without paying a dime. A win in my eyes

What else is on your non-purchase list?
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:39 AM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You ever buy a watch that you didn't really want or need, but got it because it rounded out a collection of others you had? I sold a Milgauss to buy an Explorer a maybe a decade ago. The Explorer was with me for maybe two months. When I sold it I could have seriously listed it as "like new." There wasn't even a hairline scratch on the thing. I still regret selling that Milgauss because even though I loved it, I thought my collection "had too much orange in it" because I also owned an Explorer II. I got the Explorer to "round out" the Explorer/Explorer II duo.

I long learned to only buy things I really, really want regardless if their presence in the collection might be redundant in other ways. I've also learned to sit on a potential purchase for awhile. If I am still looking at IG pics and watching YouTube videos months later, then I'll look into getting it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:41 AM   #9
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear what happened. It is a great looking watch, though! I believe Adrian Barker did a youtube episode on this watch in the military. Maybe it will enter your collection some other day.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 03:56 AM   #10
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Dang it! Good things are coming your way.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 09:18 AM   #11
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Another reason to buy from a reputable dealer. Random seller on the forum gets robbed after you wire, and you are out your money
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote