The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2019, 01:55 PM   #1
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Disappointed with AP Leather Strap Quality --- How You Guys Manage to Handle it?

Been admiring my ROO Chrono Safari since day I purchased it BNIB 4 years ago.....the craftsmanship is just top class...and the finishing is second to none....

However, very disappointed with the leather strap quality....in the 2n year it began to show signs of damage already....I brought it to APSC, they said cannot be repair, must purchase the new one, and the price is USD 900....

Then decided to take it to local leather shoe repair store. They managed to do some cosmetic repair....It can last until the 4th year....and it begins to show some damages in other sections (screw holes).....

How you Guys manage to deal with this problem? Do you purchase new leather strap every 3-4 years? 900 bucks every 3 years is not small amount of money.....

Regards,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Burlington
"TRF" Member

4 years is already a good length of time for a leather strap.

Especially where you live with the climate.

Why not switch for rubber ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:17 PM   #3
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
this is a problem for me. i cannot have a watch on a leather strap. it very quickly becomes fairly gross to how much i sweat. i think bracelet or rubber would work better for you OP and yes i agree $900 every couple years is alot of money but more than that who wants the obligation? thats not fun.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:07 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Leather straps are considered a consumable item, their durability being a combination of how much you perspire, the local climate, how often it is worn and cleaned.
Your complaint is akin to that of a Porsche/McLaren/etc owner complaining about the cost of the annual service or tyres.
You have an expensive luxury watch, it has associated costs which, if too much for you, means you should consider sticking with brands that charge ~$200 for theirs instead.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:16 PM   #5
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

I’m surprised your strap has lasted so long! I would have thought a new strap every year in high humidity countries would be normal?
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:21 PM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syahriltaher View Post

How you Guys manage to deal with this problem? Do you purchase new leather strap every 3-4 years? 900 bucks every 3 years is not small amount of money.....

Regards,
Buy a rubber diver strap
Old 13 April 2019, 08:35 PM   #7
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Leather straps are considered a consumable item, their durability being a combination of how much you perspire, the local climate, how often it is worn and cleaned.
Your complaint is akin to that of a Porsche/McLaren/etc owner complaining about the cost of the annual service or tyres.
You have an expensive luxury watch, it has associated costs which, if too much for you, means you should consider sticking with brands that charge ~$200 for theirs instead.

Blunt...and to the point.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:04 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Leather is best for lightweight dress watches, the awkward lugs put a lot of pressure on AP straps so this wear is common, I only wear their rubber straps now, much more solid.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:21 PM   #9
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’m not a huge fan of leather on big watches like the ROO series. Never the less, heat and humidity are the enemy of leather straps regardless of the watch or brand.

2 years seems reasonable to me if this is a watch getting a lot of wear in your environment.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:55 PM   #10
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Leather is best for lightweight dress watches, the awkward lugs put a lot of pressure on AP straps so this wear is common, I only wear their rubber straps now, much more solid.
I agree, I'd go rubber! $900 does seem steep, I must say. Personally I dislike leather straps as I wash my watches regularly. That said, I do have a leather GP strap on my RG44, but that's a lot more robust than the croc ones etc.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 12:08 AM   #11
simbal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
LOL, and right to the point!
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 12:48 AM   #12
Cryten
"TRF" Member

4 years on one leather strap is actually pretty good, especially in the tropics.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 02:05 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Do you wear the watch everyday? If yes, 4 years is about there. If it bothers you a lot to pay for AP straps, get something with a bracelet.
Old 14 April 2019, 04:17 AM   #14
pain888
"TRF" Member

Buy Rubber Strap from AP.

"LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST"
pain888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 11:55 PM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I've had the leather come apart near the screw holes on a leather strap within 2 months of ownership of my 26022 ROC. I was able to fix it with some superglue, but it seems like a trouble spot since it isn't the only leather strap I have that had the problem. I prefer to wear my watch on a bracelet or rubber during warm weather and leather when it is colder. I agree with the suggestions of trying a rubber strap or maybe even a bracelet (I think the Safari looks great on all three options).
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 02:33 AM   #16
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

While it's nice to have an OEM strap, you're undoubtedly paying extra just for that. Plenty of excellent and respected custom strap-makers can make a very high-quality product that fits your watch (and is made to your exact preferences) for much less than the OEM strap costs. At these prices, I think going custom is a no-brainer unless the OEM strap is exactly what you want.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:58 PM   #17
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

Do any forum members know of any alternative strap makers to AP for a 1990's AP RO 14800st.

I have struggled (failed) to find one....

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:32 PM   #18
tristanstarre
"TRF" Member

Bespoke watch straps

Truly agree that the OEM watchstraps do not last very well. I found a strap maker (instagram : hide_sg) who makes watch straps from scratch. Perhaps the handmade straps last a longer time and are more comfortable? Anyone tried?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 92E91842-FBDE-481C-BAFF-A384A0722F82.jpeg (65.5 KB, 337 views)
tristanstarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:50 PM   #19
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. View Post

Blunt...and to the point.
hahahahahahahaha
Old 7 September 2019, 07:49 PM   #20
luant
"TRF" Member

Why not buy rubberb strap, they have leather strap with rubber base..
luant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #21
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by syahriltaher View Post
Been admiring my ROO Chrono Safari since day I purchased it BNIB 4 years ago.....the craftsmanship is just top class...and the finishing is second to none....

However, very disappointed with the leather strap quality....in the 2n year it began to show signs of damage already....I brought it to APSC, they said cannot be repair, must purchase the new one, and the price is USD 900....

Then decided to take it to local leather shoe repair store. They managed to do some cosmetic repair....It can last until the 4th year....and it begins to show some damages in other sections (screw holes).....

Regards,

Leather is a disposable item.

If you wear your leather strap often, especially in hot climates, it will only last a few years. Less if your sweating a lot and wearing it hard. So I don't think this is so unusual.

Maybe this time around get a new leather and a rubber option, then the combo will last you a much longer time. Hope that helps!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 03:07 AM   #22
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Leather straps will wear down based on heat, strain, sweat, climate etc. Generally I expect a life of 2 years - I've had OEM leather straps survive less than half that with usual wear. I tend to prefer the boutique custom producers - Jean Rousseau and Camille Fournet specifically - as their quality is as good or better than most brands (they produce for some, though no manufacturer will ever tell you that), and they have greater choice of hides and customisation. In their boutiques you can often choose your actual section from a whole hide, selecting the exact scales that will make up your strap. To top it off, they are often substantially cheaper. If you want the absolute longest life, you can have your leather strap backed with rubber...

I also like Lange tang buckles as they have an extra bar that relieves pressure on the strap meaning that you don't get the crease, and the straps themselves last longer...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 03:12 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As ever, use a rubber.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote