The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2018, 03:48 AM   #1
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

I suffered a devastating loss on Monday while traveling. On Monday, November 19 between 12:20pm and 1pm, I lost my 15400ST. It happened at San Francisco Airport Terminal 2 (Alaska) at some point between arriving at the terminal curbside and walking to the TSA line. It was inside a soft Casio watch case (shaped like a new era baseball cap) inside of the knapsack I was wearing. As I got ready to go through security, I took my bag off and noticed the zipper was open and my watch was missing.

I never took the bag off and I don't have any recollection of unzipping my bag. I am certain I packed it and I know I should have secured it inside of an interior zipper pocket or at the bottom of my bag under some of my other items (I decided last minute to take it with me on my trip and placed it at the top of my bag.)

As soon as I realized it was missing, I quickly retraced my steps but to no avail. No one has returned it to the lost and found, I've filed a report with the police and am hoping that they'll be able to review the security camera footage and find the exact moment when I lost it and who may have picked it up and where they went - either getting into a car and tracking the license plate or tracking their movements in the airport. Given the current state of security at airports, I have to assume this is possible.

In either case, it's a devastating loss for me, especially considering that I was scammed on a Daytona on this forum just last month. I just got this watch 3 weeks ago and had only worn it 3 times. It still had some stickers on it. It's a K serial. It was not insured. I am sick to my stomach.

I'm asking if folks in this community could please keep an eye out for any 15400ST that pops up here or anywhere else in like-new condition without box and papers. It still has the sticker on the inside of the clasp. Please PM if you spot one that matches this description.

I would also welcome any additional suggestions or guidance on steps I can take - other forums I should check outside of this one, ebay, etc. The average Joe isn't likely to know what they found but with some quick research will realize it's value - I don't know if they'll keep it or try to sell it and if so, where they might turn. Unless they're WIS, they probably won't look to flip it on a site like this. If they are, they know better than to try. I've already set up alerts on eBay. Is there a way I can notify AP and have them keep a record of this in their system in the event the watch is brought in for service or a boutique for authentication? I've never been in this position before and have never lost a watch.

Thanks in advance for any help and please refrain from lecturing or admonishing me for being careless - this has been a very difficult couple of months for me.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:52 AM   #2
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Have you obtained your watch recently? If so, have you paid with a CC that covers recent theft? Do you have insurance policy on your watch? These are best bets now.

That airport ate my precious suit and a few other items with it. Would count only on a kindness of a random stranger who will properly report the find to the police. BTW, miracles do happen. And terribly sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 22 November 2018, 04:06 AM   #3
r8t3d_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me ;)
I'm sorry to hear about this. Really hope you get your watch back.
r8t3d_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:07 AM   #4
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Wow, this is terrible.

Two immediate thoughts:
1. A valuable watch on your wrist is 100x safer than a watch in your unsecured backpack.
2. The piece of mind of having insurance on a luxury watch is worth a few hundred dollars a year.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:23 AM   #5
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Have you obtained your watch recently? If so, have you paid with a CC that covers recent theft? Do you have insurance policy on your watch? These are best bets now.

That airport ate my precious suit and a few other items with it. Would count only on a kindness of a random stranger who will properly report the find to the police. BTW, miracles do happen. And terribly sorry to hear about your situation.
I am contacting my Chase Sapphire Reserve card now - thank you for this tip!
Old 22 November 2018, 04:27 AM   #6
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Wow, this is terrible.

Two immediate thoughts:
1. A valuable watch on your wrist is 100x safer than a watch in your unsecured backpack.
2. The piece of mind of having insurance on a luxury watch is worth a few hundred dollars a year.
1. I was actually wearing it then decided at the last minute to wear my Omega Deep Black GMT instead since I was traveling and wanted the dual time function.

2. I will absolutely be getting insurance moving forward - no question about this.
Old 22 November 2018, 04:30 AM   #7
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
I am contacting my Chase Sapphire Reserve card now - thank you for this tip!
I hope they come through for you. Really sorry to hear about this.
Old 22 November 2018, 04:39 AM   #8
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I hope they come through for you. Really sorry to hear about this.
I'm only covered up to $10K for each individual claim - which is better than nothing...now I have to go thru the process of submitting the claim and dealing with the investigators. Wish me luck!
Old 22 November 2018, 04:52 AM   #9
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Well that sucks. Hope you get lucky.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:52 AM   #10
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
If you're going through w Chase, make sure you understand _every_ single line item and every deadline. They will do ANYTHING they can to stop you from collecting on that policy. Make sure you understand what happens if the watch is found: Who will be the rightful owner? I've dealt w Chase and Amex a few times and one of my first claims got rejected due to a small technicality. Be careful and good luck!
Old 22 November 2018, 05:13 AM   #11
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
If you're going through w Chase, make sure you understand _every_ single line item and every deadline. They will do ANYTHING they can to stop you from collecting on that policy. Make sure you understand what happens if the watch is found: Who will be the rightful owner? I've dealt w Chase and Amex a few times and one of my first claims got rejected due to a small technicality. Be careful and good luck!
Thanks for the pro-tip on this. I've never had to use this policy before so am navigating carefully. I will be sure to get the answers to all of these questions - especially if the watch is recovered.
Old 22 November 2018, 05:15 AM   #12
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
So sorry to hear this. Best wishes in getting it back!
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:21 AM   #13
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Good luck with Chase. I’m a Chase Sapphire holder, too, so let us know how it goes!
Old 22 November 2018, 06:18 AM   #14
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Im so sorry to hear this! I really hope they find your watch.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:21 AM   #15
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that, did anyone see you take off the watch and put it in the case?
I fly from SFO often and don’t think there are pickpockets just loitering around given the security measures, sounds targeted.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:43 AM   #16
goldencolt
"TRF" Member

Feel sorry for you and hope that you either get partially refunded or even recover the watch!
goldencolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:57 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That’s terrible. Good luck I hope they find it for you.
Old 22 November 2018, 07:05 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I hope you are above board. I was just looking at that epic Daytona thread of yours a couple of months ago, either you are very unlucky or you are not.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:39 AM   #19
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I hope you are above board. I was just looking at that epic Daytona thread of yours a couple of months ago, either you are very unlucky or you are not.
Are you implying that I am a fabricating these stories? I'm not sure what you mean by "above board." I was reluctant to even post this thread here because of how foolish I felt after what happened to me with the Daytona - but if it might help me in the smallest way to raise a flag that might help me find the watch, then it's worth it for me.

I have been having a very unlucky Q4...I'll spare the details but I've suffered variety of significant misfortunes in the last 3 months which makes this loss so hard to swallow as this hobby brings me such joy. This season has been one unprecedented bad fortune and personal/financial loss.

Now I just feel completely defeated and am going to take a big step back from the hobby so I can focus my resources and energy on other, more important areas of my life.

All I can do is pray for a miracle and either recover the watch or recoup partially for my CC. I won't be buying anymore watches for a long time after all of this.
Old 22 November 2018, 08:44 AM   #20
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Sorry to hear that, did anyone see you take off the watch and put it in the case?
I fly from SFO often and don’t think there are pickpockets just loitering around given the security measures, sounds targeted.
I never removed the watch at the airport - I packed it in my backpack at home. At some point, the zipper on my back came undone or wasn't closed properly and fell out between me getting out of the car and going to TSA.
Old 22 November 2018, 09:12 AM   #21
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

do u want to post the serial#?
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:17 AM   #22
Rags2Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND/GMT II SS
Ouch..SOrry for your loss, Great advice so far from other posts, When Traveling I rarely carry any valuable watches with me, sounds like you have multiple expensive watches on the trip, huge no no for me personally. Also, Id insure the watch same day or next morning on any luxury time piece, the piece of mind is priceless. I think you need a good travel watch that's under 3K that is insured. Good Luck.
Rags2Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:30 AM   #23
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I would contact AP and let them know it's lost and give them the serial number. The airport should have cameras everywhere outside from the moment you arrive and inside which should help track it down if it just fell out of your bag. That really sucks hopefully you can get you AP back.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #24
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rolex View Post
Also, Id insure the watch same day or next morning on any luxury time piece, the piece of mind is priceless.

I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF. I have mine on my policy literally hours, if not immediately, within acquisition. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:18 AM   #25
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
So sorry to hear this.. I really do hate stories like this and I have also had my share of stolen watches so I always insure almost immediately now. Hope you somehow find your watch.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:20 AM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There's really no need for comments like this.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:49 PM   #27
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF. I have mine on my policy literally hours, if not immediately, within acquisition. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It’s neither as I am not wealthy by any means nor an idiot. I’m relatively new to watches at this price point, have never experienced anything like this before and insuring the watch wasn’t something that came immediately to mind for me. After this experience, it’s a lesson learned and it most certainly will in the future.

But thanks for your contribution - it was really helpful. Have a wonderful holiday.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:52 PM   #28
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
I would contact AP and let them know it's lost and give them the serial number. The airport should have cameras everywhere outside from the moment you arrive and inside which should help track it down if it just fell out of your bag. That really sucks hopefully you can get you AP back.
I’ve already contacted AP so they can flag the serial in their system. I am hoping the cameras will have caught it, too. Unfortunately, i need to wait until a detective is assigned to my case before the footage is reviewed - by the time this happens, god knows where my watch will be.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:54 PM   #29
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rolex View Post
Ouch..SOrry for your loss, Great advice so far from other posts, When Traveling I rarely carry any valuable watches with me, sounds like you have multiple expensive watches on the trip, huge no no for me personally. Also, Id insure the watch same day or next morning on any luxury time piece, the piece of mind is priceless. I think you need a good travel watch that's under 3K that is insured. Good Luck.
Fair points - but I’ve been traveling with my watches for years - sometimes 2-3 depending on where i am traveling. In this case, I was headed home and thought the AP would be nice for a family night out this holiday week. I’ve always traveled with my watches on my person and have never had a single issue. That this would happen for the first time with the crown jewel of my collection a mere 3 weeks after acquiring it from the boutique is just beyond my comprehension.
Old 22 November 2018, 01:03 PM   #30
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
It’s neither as I am not wealthy by any means nor an idiot. I’m relatively new to watches at this price point, have never experienced anything like this before and insuring the watch wasn’t something that came immediately to mind for me.

I don’t think V25V is calling you an idiot, but I think your last sentence could actually translate to “more money than brains”. I’m sorry these two recent watch incidents happened to you, but you did make mistakes that most people spending this kind of money would instinctively avoid. It is probably best that you follow your plan to take a break from luxury watches.