The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 April 2019, 11:08 PM   #1
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
To run or not to run

A question for the watchmakers here and I know it has been asked before but I've not seen a definitive answer:

When a watch is not in service for a significant period (several weeks, months) is it better to keep it running with a winder or to put it aside (or to wind at intervals)?

I have two analogies which are puzzling:

First, many motors (esp. diesel engines) and other rotating equipment (pumps, turbines etc.) last longer between maintenance intervals if kept in service. Of course they usually have sealed bearings.

On the other hand, firearms after lubrication and being put away for storage often show lubricant deterioration and gumminess after a long period of time, even with modern lubricants and greases.

Which if either analogy is correct? Help needed.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #2
lguevara91
"TRF" Member

If you use that same analogy with your car... You just bought brand new 2019 with 0 miles but have it running all day and night for months until you decide to take it out on a joy ride. You're going to have a car that has 0 signs of cosmetic wear but under the hood it will have as much wear as you would if you would have been wearing it all along...

I dont know if i'm right but my safe queens are kept off a winder and i manually wind them once every month or so just to keep them running for a bit.

Old 11 April 2019, 01:01 AM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

Watch winder increases wear, and leaving it static is not great for the oils. Neither problem should be a concern if the watch is serviced at the recommended intervals - these days approx. 10 years.

There is nothing you can do to avoid the need for servicing so my advice is to do what works for you
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 06:00 AM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Thank you. I was not questioning or trying to extend the service interval but hoping to get comments on observed wear to the mechanism in watches used each way.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 01:01 PM   #5
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Watch winder increases wear, and leaving it static is not great for the oils. Neither problem should be a concern if the watch is serviced at the recommended intervals - these days approx. 10 years.

There is nothing you can do to avoid the need for servicing so my advice is to do what works for you
Yup
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote