The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 April 2019, 04:42 AM   #1
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Did I break my ETA 2801-2 or did it break on its own?

I'm trying to figure out if something broke in my Hamilton Khaki field, or if I (due to lack of sleep and other factors) over wound it yesterday.

At one point yesterday morning before I put it on I wound it, as one does, and I'm usually careful but sometimes wind quickly at first because at this point I know it takes a bit from the previous morning's wind (though of course it's still running). All of a sudden, and again I admit I wasn't paying complete attention, it did this funny thing where something inside kind of went zzzzzip! and felt and sounded like it ... for lack of a better term, spun? It's really hard to describe, but it was definitely nothing I'd ever experienced before (I've only had this watch a few months). Usually I feel for the stop and that's that.

This feeling/noise caught me by surprise, and I swear I hadn't wound it all the way yet. So I stopped, thought about what was going on, saw it was running normally, and then carefully tried to see if the crown would turn some more, which it did, thinking ... I don't know what I was thinking at that point honestly. So I carefully would it some more, and then several turns later, the same thing happened again; same sound, same feeling, same everything. So I stopped everything and just wore it, but I was definitely confused and concerned.

Last night I noticed it wasn't running quite as accurately as it usually does (it's been super accurate). Thinking maybe things were indeed off, I went to sync it to time.gov, and when I pushed the crown back in, nothing happened! The second had didn't budge. I moved the crown in and out a few times, I may have adjusted the time a little as well, and eventually it started working again and seemed fine.

This morning I wake up, and it's dead. Based on the time, it lasted right at about 24 hours from the previous morning when all this began.

It's not a super expensive watch, and I got a great deal on it, but it sucks. Worse yet, I got it on eBay, and I thought it came with a warranty card (confused it with another listing), but no, I'm on my own, which is fine.

Mostly, I just want to understand what happened. When I wind my Speedmaster it has a clear stopping point, which I felt like the Hamilton didn't quite as much. So did it break on its own? Did I over wind it? Did I wind it too fast initially? Does this movement have some sort of overwind feature since it's related to the 2824?

Thanks for any insight. And thanks for reading my novel.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:45 AM   #2
the_natural
"TRF" Member

So I post the above, and then almost immediately I pick the watch up to inspect it. I gently shake it a little to see if I can hear anything loose, and suddenly it starts running again. I've held it up to my ear to see how it sounds and everything sounds normal (as unscientific as that is).

By the way, no impact or damage. It's still in mint condition.
Old 21 April 2019, 05:04 AM   #3
the_natural
"TRF" Member

I decided to try to wind it again, because I feel like why not at this point.

It winds as normal, and then it makes a click noise (which I can feel, and which I described differently in my original post); interestingly, it will still let me wind it more after that weird click happens. If I keep gently winding it, the cycle repeats again. At no point have I managed to get it to feel fully wound.
Old 21 April 2019, 06:02 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
It's a mainspring problem. I don't recommend winding it or using it until it's repaired. Forgive me not knowing the right terminology, but the mainspring is either no longer properly anchored in the barrel, or it's simply broken.

As for your original question: no, I don't think you broke your watch; I think something inside the mainspring barrel failed while you were using your watch in the way it's supposed to be used.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:08 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Classic broken mainspring problem, it will need to be repaired.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:00 PM   #6
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It's a mainspring problem. I don't recommend winding it or using it until it's repaired. Forgive me not knowing the right terminology, but the mainspring is either no longer properly anchored in the barrel, or it's simply broken.

As for your original question: no, I don't think you broke your watch; I think something inside the mainspring barrel failed while you were using your watch in the way it's supposed to be used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Classic broken mainspring problem, it will need to be repaired.
Thanks very much!