The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 April 2019, 01:58 PM   #1
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Can we talk about IWC Perpetual Calendars?

I have always liked the IWC brand although never pull the trigger on any one of them. The big pilot and Portuguese etc all beautiful elegant pieces. I even like a lot of their vintage pieces or military watches. Couple years ago I started focus on the Rose gold PC. I have been tracking the Portuguese P Calendar watch for some time. Seems like they typically sits and don’t sell well on the used market. What’s everyone’s experience with these watches? At 44 mm it’s very large. Did anyone own one and regret after? Service cost is probably crazy expensive like any P.C. Really hoping owners can chime in on their experience, the brand and over all thoughts. Thank you.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:55 AM   #2
Zyxheart
"TRF" Member

Love the Portugieser PC. They are wonderful but I own none as I prefer a smaller one.
Zyxheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:42 AM   #3
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
It’s an awkward place to sit in the market. I think there are 2 potential buyers for the watch. The person who is really sold out to the IWC brand, or the person looking for a “budget” PC. Once someone starts thinking PC, I think they’re also looking up market (Patek, Lange, AP, VC, etc).
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 06:25 AM   #4
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
IWC make some lovely watches. If the watch catches your fancy then go for it. Lots of options in the second hand market as well.

The PC movement on the Portuguese is by Kurt Klaus which also has the full year 4 digit read out.

New models include new dial colour options.

Depending on wrist size the watch will sit very well or horribly oversized.

If you are not looking at the trinity for PCs then I would also recommend considering the Glashutte Original PC, Ulysse Nardin PC or the JLC MUT PC which has a similar layout in a more wearable size and has a thinner profile.

Keep us posted on what you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 07:13 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
It’s an awkward place to sit in the market. I think there are 2 potential buyers for the watch. The person who is really sold out to the IWC brand, or the person looking for a “budget” PC. Once someone starts thinking PC, I think they’re also looking up market (Patek, Lange, AP, VC, etc).
I like the pre-Richemont IWC design language quite a lot and prefer their 1990s and early 2000s SS and titanium tool watches over the more recent and mostly oversized dress watches.

If I was looking for a PC I would indeed get a Patek, possibly a 3940, a wearable classic and likely much better value than an IWC PC as well. If pre-owned is not an option the 39mm JLC MUT PC may be a good alternative to the 44mm IWC. If I was looking for a minute repeater, however, I'd go IWC instead of Patek for budget reasons.

IWC service is cost-effective and fast in my experience. Service cost for a three-hand w date IWC is around EUR 400-500 or 1/3 to 1/5 of a comparable three-hand w date Patek. I wouldn't expect the service cost for an IWC PC to be over the top either.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like the looks of the watch and it's very legible, albeit large. If you have a large wrist and like the watch, they are an excellent value on the used market.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Lo0o0o0n
"TRF" Member

I own an IW503302 which i bought pre-owned. Definitely love the functionality of the Kurt Klaus PC and the design as well. Size wise, you have to know it will never wear as a subtle true dressy piece like any Patek but has its own charms. There has never been (and maybe never will be) another "over-sized" dressy piece that somehow looks so right IMO.
Lo0o0o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:43 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
IWC service is cost-effective and fast in my experience. Service cost for a three-hand w date IWC is around EUR 400-500 or 1/3 to 1/5 of a comparable three-hand w date Patek. I wouldn't expect the service cost for an IWC PC to be over the top either.
Correction - I meant to say "Service cost for a three-hand w date IWC is around EUR 400-500 or 1/3 to 1/2 of a comparable three-hand w date Patek"...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:20 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

I have a few contacts at Richemont who work on IWC, they are fine watches and the service is generally pretty good.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 02:59 AM   #10
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I think they're great looking and quality watches.. a friend of mine has only owned IWC watches and loves them.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 07:03 AM   #11
raywoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5513 (1986)
I have a couple of IWC's and appreciate the brand's innovation to bring complications in "affordable" packages. One of my IWC's is the 3750, Da Vinci Perpetual Calendar, which was the original Kurt Klaus PC complication. I looked at the Portuguese PC, but the size was a deterrent for me. Also, it seems kind of strange that they did not include a chronograph module on it (i assume to save in thickness). For some reason, when i think of the modern Portugese line, I see the chronograph in the 3712 or 3714, and it's design and symmetry.
raywoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:47 PM   #12
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
the early 2000’s 3756 from the GST line was one of my grail watches, 43mm with industrial styling, it was the aesthetic opposite of just about every other perpetual calendar out there, with a chrono and all for around $10k on the used market, it was an incredible amount of watch for the money....