The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 08:13 PM   #1
hamachikanashiro
"TRF" Member

New BLNR waitlist

Hi new to this forum but hard lurked around for a while.

Understand the Old BLNR has been bid up to ridiculous levels US$15k+ on discontinuation...

But today i went into my local AD (Perth) where I am originally from to see if i can get onto a waiting list for the New BLNR - they said it will take "many years" to get a BLNR and were not even interested in putting me on a waitlist or taking a deposit.

Even the ADs here (where I live), say that the new BLNR has not arrived, but will probably sell at a premium.

What is driving this dynamic? I mean the New BLNR with Oyster is a totally new watch and it seems people have mixed opinions on the jubilee bracelet... so the question is - is the new BLNR selling at a temporary premium because (i) not a lot of stock is around at the moment
(ii) people are speculation and pricing it off the old BLNR?

I have an old datejust and thinking of upgrading. The BLNR looks beautiful and i personally dont mind a jubilee bracelet...
hamachikanashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:41 PM   #2
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

New BLNR isn’t out yet. And when it is it will be selling to VVIP customers only in the AD, and will be in the grey at 100% uplift or more. Basically unless you have spent a few hundred grand in your AD recently you will have 0.00001% chance of getting one at RRP from the AD
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:59 PM   #3
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Once the watch is released to the ADs no doubt the prices on the grey market will be over MSRP. You need to wait until things settle down, and after a few months the price will have stabilized and reflect the true market value.
Pre market activity on this one from what I understand is significantly less than last years Pepsi.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:26 PM   #4
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Yawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 April 2019, 11:31 PM   #5
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
New BLNR isn’t out yet. And when it is it will be selling to VVIP customers only in the AD, and will be in the grey at 100% uplift or more. Basically unless you have spent a few hundred grand in your AD recently you will have 0.00001% chance of getting one at RRP from the AD
This.

If you're not a grey reseller or a VIP, chances to be called are next to non-existent.

On the day the 126710 BLNR was announced (March 20th), just a few minutes after the announcement in fact, I paid a visit to 3 ADs as I was in the area. Two out of three refused to take my name and number for this new model, including one I had previous purchase history with (SD43). I can assure you I was the first person to inquire, sales assistants weren't even aware of the new Batman, only the managers.

One manager told me "there was no point in adding me to a fictitious list as they would be contacting their existing clients". He must personally know his top customers and instantly knew I wasn’t one of them. The other manager didn’t recognise me from my previous purchase, also refused and said "they will not take names for any hot sports steel models like Sub, Daytona, GMTs". I said I’d bought from them before and this was a brand new model, but it didn’t matter, he didn’t care, almost showed me the door. The third AD had mercy and took my name and number, but insisted on the fact they would prioritise their existing customers.

Mission impossible.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:33 AM   #6
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Most AD’s had a full list for the old BLNR. When that was discontinued, and the new BLNR was announced, most AD’s would have (rightly) contacted the waiting list for the old model, and offered to transfer them to the new model. Most people on the list would have said ‘yes please’.

In addition, the new model is a new model so will be attracting some good customers who like to have the new shiny thing, so that have probably also been added into the mix.

So, in summary, I suspect that lists and waiting times have just got longer.

And don’t buy into the negativity about the Jubilee, there are plenty of fans of this bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:01 AM   #7
samcarlos
"TRF" Member

You must build rapport with someone at the dealer. Either prior purchase or visit them quite frequently. I called my AD the day it was reveled and she placed a special order to Rolex. She sent me a copy of the receipt with reference number. Expected arrival is 6/30/19. I purchased the Hulk from them back in January, paid Cash for it. I do have a small sales history with them. Most AD's won't even bother ordering it or putting you on a fictitious list. My Advice, Keep trying different dealers and don't stop till you find one that will take the time to assist you. Or buy from Grey market. Those are your only two options.
samcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:19 AM   #8
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

There is nothing going on other than supply/demand imbalance.

3 choices:

1) You are a Rolex whale at your AD, on the new stock call list. Phone rings.
2) Pay close to double retail with Grey
3) Twiddle your thumbs for 3-5 years and on a fluke find one in the wild after
beating the bushes. What's your time worth again?

What Im curious to see is whether there will be a premium spread between the Old & the New issues. They will probably track closely at first but as "new" Old BLNR are no longer made will people pay up for used Oyster bracelets and less power reserve and one less dial Crown? For aesthetics?

If the old Oyster fits the new model (probably not) than old BLNR will probably trade at discount to the new.

Or maybe the purists will take over calling the new model Bruce Wayne as the jubilee is more suited to the boardroom than Gotham streets and so juice the premium.

It's crazy time in SS Rolex world.

Either way new BLNR will probably kick off in Grey 15k plus range.
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamachikanashiro View Post
Hi new to this forum but hard lurked around for a while.

Understand the Old BLNR has been bid up to ridiculous levels US$15k+ on discontinuation...

But today i went into my local AD (Perth) where I am originally from to see if i can get onto a waiting list for the New BLNR - they said it will take "many years" to get a BLNR and were not even interested in putting me on a waitlist or taking a deposit.

Even the ADs here (where I live), say that the new BLNR has not arrived, but will probably sell at a premium.

What is driving this dynamic? I mean the New BLNR with Oyster is a totally new watch and it seems people have mixed opinions on the jubilee bracelet... so the question is - is the new BLNR selling at a temporary premium because (i) not a lot of stock is around at the moment
(ii) people are speculation and pricing it off the old BLNR?

I have an old datejust and thinking of upgrading. The BLNR looks beautiful and i personally dont mind a jubilee bracelet...
I have trading history with two ADs and neither will put me “on the list”.
Australia is a smaller market thus smaller numbers available.
You have Buckley’s chance via an AD, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 25 April 2019, 06:57 AM   #10
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm View Post
Yawn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 06:59 AM   #11
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

sucks balls that this new model is going to hit the grey's before someone gets a chance to buy it to keep.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 07:00 AM   #12
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesHand View Post
There is nothing going on other than supply/demand imbalance.

3 choices:

1) You are a Rolex whale at your AD, on the new stock call list. Phone rings.
2) Pay close to double retail with Grey
3) Twiddle your thumbs for 3-5 years and on a fluke find one in the wild after
beating the bushes. What's your time worth again?

What Im curious to see is whether there will be a premium spread between the Old & the New issues. They will probably track closely at first but as "new" Old BLNR are no longer made will people pay up for used Oyster bracelets and less power reserve and one less dial Crown? For aesthetics?

If the old Oyster fits the new model (probably not) than old BLNR will probably trade at discount to the new.

Or maybe the purists will take over calling the new model Bruce Wayne as the jubilee is more suited to the boardroom than Gotham streets and so juice the premium.

It's crazy time in SS Rolex world.

Either way new BLNR will probably kick off in Grey 15k plus range.

I'll take option #2. I value my time.
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 10:04 AM   #13
hamachikanashiro
"TRF" Member

thanks for everyone's comments - think the only chance i can get one with an AD is to fluke it... or wait 3 -5 yrs.

the issue that i have also with paying for a grey piece is that you cant build a relationship with an AD... you build one with a scalper :)

oif 3-5yrs is the wait i may buy a submariner first whilst waiting... getting tired of my DJ

and yes its sad that it hits the greys first before going to end - users...
hamachikanashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:20 PM   #14
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
yup
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:28 PM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Major AD in NY said the number of calls/demand for the new BLNR vs. calls/demand for the BLRO last year is very different.

There was approximately 4 times more calls/demand for the BLRO over the new BLNR

Does that mean higher likelihood to get BLNR? No idea but food for thought.

My AD put my name down thinking I would want one, but since i already have the previous BLNR, i said take me off the list.

I'm aiming for other non-Rolex pieces this year either an AP Royal Oak (15450 blue dial) or Patek Aquanaut (5167) or both
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote