The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Patek 2016 5980 ????

Was checking out this video by Mr Stern and noticed this interesting piece at the end ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fJG2PzaFPBI

A black or blue date wheel sure would have tied this together... What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.1 KB, 1043 views)
Old 13 April 2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Patekish
"TRF" Member

Isn't it a 5980R?
Patekish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2016, 03:43 PM   #3
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
This is the 5980/1AR-001 in Stainless Steel and Rose Gold.
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2016, 05:04 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekish View Post
Isn't it a 5980R?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom007 View Post
This is the 5980/1AR-001 in Stainless Steel and Rose Gold.
Looks like SS to me with a two tone chrono and it is being shown in discussion on the 2016 collection?
Old 13 April 2016, 06:33 PM   #5
kol
"TRF" Member

I checked the video. To me it looks like steel with two-tone blue dial. Did you notice that the date window is framed. Perhaps white gold or platinum...
It could be a 40th Anniversary watch.

Best, Kari
kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Vipes
"TRF" Member

It looks like the existing two-tone 5980.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 12:48 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
It looks like the existing two-tone 5980.
I don't see it as two tone although anything is possible but curious iit would be shown with a 2016 group of watches?
Old 14 April 2016, 01:06 AM   #8
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I don't see it as two tone although anything is possible but curious iit would be shown with a 2016 group of watches?
Looks like 2 tone to me as well. No new nautilus were shown at Basel, so pretty sure it's nothing new. I think it's just the lighting that makes it look different.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 01:39 AM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it's the lighting. You can see the yellow hue of the center links, bezel and pushers. If they make a 5980 with this color dial and white gold then
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 05:19 AM   #10
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:

I agree with Gus. It looks like SS to me with a two tone dial. Interesting.
Old 14 April 2016, 06:06 AM   #11
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
Sure looks like the two tone to me.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 06:12 AM   #12
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Looks like 2 tone to me also.
GarageBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 06:13 AM   #13
el1125
Banned

[QUOTE=Vipes;6620313]It looks like the existing two-tone 5980.[/Q

agree correct
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 07:57 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's the TT's dial but case does look more SS, actually looks like WG with the warm hue, and yet the bracelet is SS and as Gus says it's in a 2016 vid so could be prophetic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 07:59 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

looking at image on home monitor i will agree it appears to be two tone…

the color on the dial appears silver to me but i have to conclude it is just the lighting…

thanks for playing along :)

platinum 5980 would be a nice way to celebrate 40 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 5.35.54 PM.jpg (72.2 KB, 838 views)
File Type: png 5980_1AR_001.png (159.8 KB, 833 views)
Old 14 April 2016, 08:50 AM   #16
de66
"TRF" Member

I can confirm it is definitely the TT, I saw it displayed that way at Baselworld.

Despite this attempt at showing off their case finishing by displaying most watches without straps/bracelets, they displayed their various bracelets the same way as shown on the pics in this thread. The goal also to show off the excellent workmanship and finishing of the bracelets.
Personally I found the impression of the Baselworld display a bit sullen with such a limited number of straps and bracelets.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 08:52 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
I can confirm it is definitely the TT, I saw it displayed that way at Baselworld.

Despite this attempt at showing off their case finishing by displaying most watches without straps/bracelets, they displayed their various bracelets the same way as shown on the pics in this thread. The goal also to show off the excellent workmanship and finishing of the bracelets.
Personally I found the impression of the Baselworld display a bit sullen with such a limited number of straps and bracelets.
thanks for the confirmation.

agree the concept of not adding the strap seems incomplete
Old 14 April 2016, 12:41 PM   #18
epic
"TRF" Member

All in all I think this dial would look way tops for either on a full S/S or full rose gold 5980

Hope we see it in the new Nautilus range..

Cheers
epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 03:49 PM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I agree with Gus. It looks like SS to me with a two tone dial. Interesting.
It clearly is a White metal with a blue dial and black or dark'blue crono dial, seems obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
Sure looks like the two tone to me.
And how do you explain the 2 colors in the dial? The 2 tone has a almost uniform'color dial, here the dial is lighter and the sub dial is darker, nothing to do with this one, for me this is a never seen before Nautilus, I think it will have a huge success, I have no need for a chrono but this is the most stunning one I have ever seen, it kills all the previous ones style wise, just amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post

My friend it seems to me you are wrong, there is much more contrast in the dial than on the TT, and I never saw any pic where 2 different metals look the same color, and when I look at what should be RG and what is SS for me they are both exactly the same color, I've never seen any kind of lighting do that, when you look on the Patek site there is NO SS 5980 in production, do you think it is normal that Patek doesn't make a nautilus chrono in SS at all? It is like if AP stopped the ROC line, so maybe I am wrong but for me this is clearly an unseen before 5980, only time will tell of course

Really for me it seems obvious that this is a totally new model, same metal color, the blue seems much totally different than any kind of blue ever seen before in a Nautilus, and especially the sub dial seems black or almost, maybe very dark blue, in any case the contrast between the 2 colors on the dial is much more pronounced than on the TT, and if it is being shown as part of the 2016 discussion shouldn't that ring huge bells?
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 04:53 PM   #20
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
It clearly is a White metal with a blue dial and black or dark'blue crono dial, seems obvious

And how do you explain the 2 colors in the dial? The 2 tone has a almost uniform'color dial, here the dial is lighter and the sub dial is darker, nothing to do with this one, for me this is a never seen before Nautilus, I think it will have a huge success, I have no need for a chrono but this is the most stunning one I have ever seen, it kills all the previous ones style wise, just amazing

My friend it seems to me you are wrong, there is much more contrast in the dial than on the TT, and I never saw any pic where 2 different metals look the same color, and when I look at what should be RG and what is SS for me they are both exactly the same color, I've never seen any kind of lighting do that, when you look on the Patek site there is NO SS 5980 in production, do you think it is normal that Patek doesn't make a nautilus chrono in SS at all? It is like if AP stopped the ROC line, so maybe I am wrong but for me this is clearly an unseen before 5980, only time will tell of course

Really for me it seems obvious that this is a totally new model, same metal color, the blue seems much totally different than any kind of blue ever seen before in a Nautilus, and especially the sub dial seems black or almost, maybe very dark blue, in any case the contrast between the 2 colors on the dial is much more pronounced than on the TT, and if it is being shown as part of the 2016 discussion shouldn't that ring huge bells?

You are completely wrong. Look closer or look to upgrade your glasses. This image above is the existing TT model.
Old 15 April 2016, 02:05 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
You are completely wrong. Look closer or look to upgrade your glasses. This image above is the existing TT model.
at 44 I have excellent eyesight, did a huge zoom on the picture, and I never saw any lighting which turns RG into white metal, it could make a small part of the RG look white I suppose but not ALL of it, and if it did I would expect there would still be a tone difference between the RG parts and the SS parts, here it is NOT the case, plus the contrast of color is much stronger between the 2 dials of this one than on the TT, anyways we will see in a few months who is right about this one, makes me think in this sub forum or the AP, don't remember, about a discussion about the watch that a celebrity was wearing, 4 confirmed members had given wrong answers, good eyesight was needed, much more than here, I saw on the spot what it was and was right, I can't imagine how this watch here can be mistaken for the TT, showed it to my wife just now it made her laugh that it could be the same watch. For me since it is a Patek made video it is clearly a "clin d'oeil" why is it in a video about the 2016 new models, is the TT 5980 a new 2016 model, not to my knowledge, and why is it the last piece shown? Really in pic and in the video for me there is not even the slightest doubt that this is not the two tone, result in a few months, but here is a zoom with the "RG" bezel and pusher and the SS case, oh yeah that is definitely 2 different metals, too bad it came out small here, on my screen it is huge...

image.jpeg
Old 15 April 2016, 02:37 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Looks like 2 tone to me as well. No new nautilus were shown at Basel, so pretty sure it's nothing new. I think it's just the lighting that makes it look different.
The video is made by Patek, you don't think being the 40th anniversary they could slip in a new model to make a buzz, there is nothing proving that the whole video was taken at Basel...
Old 15 April 2016, 02:39 AM   #23
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
at 44 I have excellent eyesight, did a huge zoom on the picture, and I never saw any lighting which turns RG into white metal, it could make a small part of the RG look white I suppose but not ALL of it, and if it did I would expect there would still be a tone difference between the RG parts and the SS parts, here it is NOT the case, anyways we will see in a few months who is right about this one, makes me think in this sub forum or the QaP, don't remember, about a discussion about the watch that a celebrity was wearing, 4 confirmed members had given wrong answers, good eyesight was needed, much more than here, I saw on the spot what it was and was right, I can't imagine how this watch here can be mistaken for the TT, showed it to my wife just now it made her laugh that it could be the same watch. For me since it is a Patek made video it is clearly a "clin d'oeil" why is it in a video about the 2016 new models, is the TT 5980 a new 2016 model, not to my knowledge, and why is it the last piece shown? Really in pic and in the video for me there is not even the slightest doubt that this is not the two tone, result in a few months
You are completely wrong and your wife is wrong. Did you watch the video of Thierry Stern being asked about the 40th anniversary release of the Nautilus? He did not give the slightest hint of what it would be, in fact he didn't even say there was going to be a 40th piece so why would he display something like that.
Sorry, your eyes may be working fine but your brain isn't.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 04:17 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
You are completely wrong and your wife is wrong. Did you watch the video of Thierry Stern being asked about the 40th anniversary release of the Nautilus? He did not give the slightest hint of what it would be, in fact he didn't even say there was going to be a 40th piece so why would he display something like that.
Sorry, your eyes may be working fine but your brain isn't.
Lol, who says Patek need to be like always and keep a total secrecy, why is the TT, according to you, in a Patek made video, about new 2016 models, he didn't give the slightest hint but this is the hint, not everything needs to be said, and if this is a new Nautilus doing it like this is quite clever, much more than giving a hint and not showing this, anyways for me my eyes and brain are doing quite well, and you think yours are, so no need discussing for hours as we will get nowhere, you won't change your mind as won't I, so the releases will put this straight, if I am wrong I will apologize for my defective eyes and brain, hoping reciprocity on the subject

Old 15 April 2016, 05:57 AM   #25
blakeegan
Banned

Watch: 5905P, 5711
Seriously? It's CLEARLY the TT 5980. The dial always often looks like two different colors in real photos, photoshopped website pics are rarely accurate:

http://zigsow.jp/img.php?w=480&h=480...1378131231.jpg

http://ml.watchprosite.com/img/watch...ge.3304823.jpg

Just a couple examples of the lighting changing the dial colors in real photos of the watch.
blakeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 01:04 PM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeegan View Post
Seriously? It's CLEARLY the TT 5980. The dial always often looks like two different colors in real photos, photoshopped website pics are rarely accurate:

Just a couple examples of the lighting changing the dial colors in real photos of the watch.
Great, you got any where the RG bezel, pushers, markers, well the whole watch in fact, gets exactly like SS because of lighting? That's the most important here didn't say I was right, jus said that for me it is not the TT...
By the way, I saw it in real and the dial was clearly one color, something just doesn't add up here, of course since again it is a Patek video they could have modified how the watch looks, also a possibility...
Old 15 April 2016, 01:39 PM   #27
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Great, you got any where the RG bezel, pushers, markers, well the whole watch in fact, gets exactly like SS because of lighting? That's the most important here didn't say I was right, jus said that for me it is not the TT...
By the way, I saw it in real and the dial was clearly one color, something just doesn't add up here, of course since again it is a Patek video they could have modified how the watch looks, also a possibility...
Yes it's a Patek conspiracy..lol...
Old 15 April 2016, 01:57 PM   #28
martinr
"TRF" Member

Just a guess but I think the 5980 is done. All the new Patek automatic chronos are only 60 minute counters, the 5990, the 5905, the new world time chrono also. They've already done TT, RG on strap and RG on bracelet 5980. Thierry Stern said that Patek will never make a lot of steel watches, it isn't who they are. So why after discontinuing all the steel 5980's in three dial colors would they come out with something as simple as a color change on a new watch thats been discontinued. He also said that if they introduce a new steel Nautilus one would have to go and the least popular is the 5726 so my guess is that it will be discontinued and something new and different will be introduced for the 40th. A skeleton 5711? That would be awesome.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 07:10 PM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Just a guess but I think the 5980 is done. All the new Patek automatic chronos are only 60 minute counters, the 5990, the 5905, the new world time chrono also. They've already done TT, RG on strap and RG on bracelet 5980. Thierry Stern said that Patek will never make a lot of steel watches, it isn't who they are. So why after discontinuing all the steel 5980's in three dial colors would they come out with something as simple as a color change on a new watch thats been discontinued. He also said that if they introduce a new steel Nautilus one would have to go and the least popular is the 5726 so my guess is that it will be discontinued and something new and different will be introduced for the 40th. A skeleton 5711? That would be awesome.
Skeleton would be nice, but they will probably do some kind of SS chrono sooner or later, a "sport watch" line without one is a little strange, or maybe they consider that since they have the 5990 it is enough, but not having a simple chrono is odd... But they also can make a WG 5980, PT would weigh a ton, Rolex has one why not them, in some countries many people don't like gold except WG
Old 16 April 2016, 12:27 AM   #30
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Its the tt 5980
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote