The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 November 2022, 02:03 AM   #1
absurd
"TRF" Member

Thoughts: Watch Winders

Been reading for a while about them, some are outrageously priced but leaving logic + affordability aside, what are your thoughts on Watch Winders?

PS: Does anyone know how to post a Poll? :) The FAQ refers to some option during post creation which strangely is missing on my creation page! Thanks
absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:14 AM   #2
Blueteg
"TRF" Member

Depends on what kind of watches you would be storing in the winder.
If the complication has lots of stuff to set (date+day/moonphase/calendar/etc), I think there is a nice convenience factor for them.

But for a collection with watches that are comprised of just time + date, I'd rather just set the watch when I wear it that day/week vs. keeping the movement constantly working/wound all the time.
116234 Bullseye
214270 Explorer
Blueteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:21 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd View Post
Been reading for a while about them, some are outrageously priced but leaving logic + affordability aside, what are your thoughts on Watch Winders?

PS: Does anyone know how to post a Poll? :) The FAQ refers to some option during post creation which strangely is missing on my creation page! Thanks
You already have two of the finest winders in the world attached to your arms called wrists, and what the watch was designed for, and not sat of one of these machine winder things. All Rolex automatic movements wind in both directions and for any non perpetual calendar watch or watches that just have a date or day date complication, a watch winder is totally unnecessary. If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand must take all of 30 seconds to do .If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time on the wrist?. Many watch winders today are high priced to match the nice looking outside, but hosting very cheap mass produced stuff inside.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:25 AM   #4
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
If you leave logic and affordability aside, what’s the point of discussing??

For me, I have no need for a winder, my watches have no more than a date complication.
Old 4 November 2022, 02:34 AM   #5
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

The wear and tear aspect of winders puts me off and I don't use them. In fact, part of the hobby is messing around setting them before you wear them.

However, I can sort of see the point for specific use-cases. For example, you wear the watch Mon-Fri for work but not the weekend, and the power reserve doesn't quite get you through to Monday morning.

I agree that watches with a large compliment of complications can benefit, but these sorts of watches are expensive in the long-run to put a lot of unnecessary wear and tear onto.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:40 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum

I wind my watches when I want to wear them
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:51 AM   #7
espressojoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
I have acquired a decent collection over the years and have a few Orbita multiple-watch winders across different locations. I can't wear all of the watches and I don't like to keep them stagnant over a long period of time. I turn on the winders for a few days and shut them off periodically. I've found that I have more issues with watches keeping proper time when they sit too long.

That's just my experience, but I understand the pro's and con's for them. The winders are also cool to watch run.
espressojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:06 AM   #8
RFA
"TRF" Member

They can be useful if you switch watches regularly. Not for all your watches but your top 2 or 3 at the moment. Check out Benson. I have a Wolf 3 watch winder I got for 60% off sale last year. It was one of their holiday sales. Didn’t have it this year though.
RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:12 AM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Usually when this topic comes up, there is at least 1 banning. Let's see what happens. LOL!
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:16 AM   #10
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Don't let forum elitists get to you. Do whatever you need. I normally keep 2 watches at home and switch it up every few days. I like to keep a single winder available as needed. I normally take the time to set my watches to the master clock so its not a 5 second thing to get up and running.

On the flipside I do also find small joy in the engagement of winding and setting a watch.
Old 4 November 2022, 03:26 AM   #11
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
I had a 3-watch winder for a few years, but it gave up. I just wind and set the time for any watch I decide to wear that day.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:28 AM   #12
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Winders are great!

I managed to score a Wolf winder last year during a Black Friday sale and it's been a nice addition to my watch storage arrangement. I have a vintage Sinn with a Lemania 5100 movement that feels awfully wonky to hand-wind and the crown doesn't lend itself to an easy wind, so it lives on that winder.

I also have some manner of Amazon 4-piece winder for my GMT watches. It works relatively well though not nearly as silent as my Wolf.

If you like a winder and find use in it; send it. Don't let the grumps tell you otherwise.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:37 AM   #13
bblewis
"TRF" Member

An AD I work with is also an Authorized Service Center. I asked them directly about keeping my Rolex on a watch winder and they said it's not a problem at all. I have a Wolf 3-watch winder which is fantastic. It looks nice, it's silent, and I can rotate timepieces regularly.

Watch for sales, as I scored mine about 50% off.
bblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:43 AM   #14
prw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060, PP5015
I have 3 mechanical watches but only put one on a winder (Boxy) which is kind of cool as you can stack them on top of each other with only 1 cord. The one that goes on the winder is a dress watch which i only wear occasionally but also has a moon phase which is a real pain to set. For the others like my 14060 - no date sub it takes like 10 seconds to reset it so it never goes on there. I think winders are only really useful for watches with complications. Even just a date complication isn't really worth putting on a winder.
prw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:49 AM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblewis View Post
An AD I work with is also an Authorized Service Center. I asked them directly about keeping my Rolex on a watch winder and they said it's not a problem at all. I have a Wolf 3-watch winder which is fantastic. It looks nice, it's silent, and I can rotate timepieces regularly.

Watch for sales, as I scored mine about 50% off.
Yes, definitely not a problem. These watches are designed to be worn every day by active individuals.

With that said, I don't have a watch winder. Maybe some day, but I just let my watches run out when I don't wear them.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:56 AM   #16
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Usually I’m in the padi camp of two built in watch winders, but…the exception I make is if you have perpetual calendars that are a pain to reset, best to have them on winders.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 06:48 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I use Swiss KubiK Masterbox winders. Compact, beautifully built and will run for years on batteries. Sometimes I even remember to switch them on.

The arguments for and against are anecdotal and it comes down to personal preference. If a movement will become prematurely knackered because it is kept in a winder, it's a pretty rubbish movement to start with. Given that we're talking Rolex, this is a moot point.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 07:06 AM   #18
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Welcome to the forum

I wind my watches when I want to wear them
I am in the same camp as Brian, I wind and set a watch when I plan to wear it and lately, I don't even bother setting the watch. I just pick it, put it on, and go. The time is everywhere.

Years ago, I had 3 Orbita Monaco 6's sitting on a credenza full of watches all cranking away for months and when I would go to wear one the date was off and it was running either fast or slow, so the time wasn't exact. What a waste of money!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 07:16 AM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I used them years ago and imo, they sped up the need for service on my watches! Never again...
Old 4 November 2022, 07:53 AM   #20
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I have a four watch model and it's a godsend for certain watches. I have a 1601 DJ and a Vostok Amphibia, both of which I like to wear with some frequency and neither has quick set date.

My Daytona, on the other hand, I tend to wear for an entire week once a month or so and it stays in it's original box when not in use, because it's super easy to wind and set quickly.

Interestingly, my 1601 and Amphibia do great on the winder, and even run pretty accurately on it. However, I also have a Tudor Date-Day that runs within chronometer specs if I put a full wind into it and wear it daily, but will eventually stop and start when on the winder. I'm guessing it must not have the winding efficiency of the others.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 08:06 AM   #21
Driftwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't waste your money-
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #22
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
I am in the same camp as Brian, I wind and set a watch when I plan to wear it and lately, I don't even bother setting the watch. I just pick it, put it on, and go. The time is everywhere.

Years ago, I had 3 Orbita Monaco 6's sitting on a credenza full of watches all cranking away for months and when I would go to wear one the date was off and it was running either fast or slow, so the time wasn't exact. What a waste of money!
Started writing some questions on this one and now understand why this topic gets people banned. I’ll just sit quietly and listen. Lol.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 08:56 AM   #23
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Do you have a perpetual calendar?
If you answered yes to this question: get the winder!
If you answered no: do not buy winder
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 09:21 AM   #24
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I do use a winder for perpetual calendar watches. I agree with what Peter said, after having a number of winders and taking them apart - most are pure crap inside. I use the SwissKubiK which is expensive but flawless.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 09:23 AM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I see no reason to use on unless the watch is a PIA to set. That would for me mean for a GMT or a SkyD. Otherwise, I see them only has a potentially damaging device (accelerated need for servicing).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 10:26 AM   #26
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Setting the correct time and date on a dead watch is foreplay to wearing it!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote