The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2020, 11:17 AM   #1
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Trade Speedmaster for Aqua Terra??

Would I be crazy? I find I don’t wear my Speedmaster too often, it’s actually my second one after selling the first a couple of years ago. I’ve had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra with grey dial on a black leather strap (speedy is currently on leather, I like the idea of one piece on leather). My other watches are a no date Submariner 114060 and a 214270 Explorer. I’m also feeling that too many black dials just bores me. What do you think?
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:46 AM   #2
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
Would I be crazy? I find I don’t wear my Speedmaster too often, it’s actually my second one after selling the first a couple of years ago. I’ve had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra with grey dial on a black leather strap (speedy is currently on leather, I like the idea of one piece on leather). My other watches are a no date Submariner 114060 and a 214270 Explorer. I’m also feeling that too many black dials just bores me. What do you think?

The aqua terra is a sensational watch ... and to be honest, the speedy does nothing for me. So, for me, I’d take an AT in a heartbeat over a speedy.

I too enjoy having a”strap watch” — mine is a Monaco. I have red, black, blue, and brown quick release straps that I LOVE switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:24 PM   #3
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Speedy is an icon, full stop. The aqua terra is a well made watch that will see many variations in its life. Every model, even the sub has changed, the speedy is virtually the same watch it was in 1969. It defies trends, fads, etc and remains steadfast. There is something cool about getting a watch and not worrying about its style. No lug changes, no ceramics, no increases in size.

That said, you have to tease out of you are bored in general and want to trade to have something new, or you really like the aqua terra. My advice, sit on the decesion 3/4 months and of you still feel the same, trade it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:34 PM   #4
cup8
Banned

Both watches are awesome but I don’t think I would trade my speedy for an Aquaracer.
cup8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:16 PM   #5
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
My vote is for an AT but get one of the newer models.... I love my Aqua Terra, got the 38 mm in white/silver

There's really great anti-reflective coating on the sapphire crystal so you get this amazing view of the three-dimensionality of the hour markers, hand, and applied Omega logo. It's absolutely stunning. I like the date window at 6 o'clock and I like the change in design to the horizontal stripes. I think this is a better representation of Omega's design cue, more in line with the laser-etched wave scheme of their SMP series, which I also like. It adds some texture and brings something to the background of the dial, perfectly balanced with the minimalistic use of lettering / words on the dial.

Bought it preowned on the steel bracelet which is SUPERB. The bracelet is really easy to adjust because it provides two 2/3rd links and not 1/2 links, so you are able to incrementally adjust the bracelet by 1/3rd of a link. Should be able to get a great fit. Extremely comfortable and well-executed, even though I typically dislike butterfly deployants... this one is exceptional. If it had tool-less microadjustment, then this would be the perfect watch, would be 10 out of 10 if it could incorporate an EZ-link system.

Due to the summer heat and humidity I wound up forking over $700 to get the factory rubber and deployant. I'll put it back on the steel bracelet in the fall/winter. The rubber strap is very comfortable too, fit and feel is awesome. Best folding-clasp deployant I've ever seen or handled. Love that the excess strap gets tucked away neatly underneath. Very thoughtfully designed and perfectly incorporated into the lugs.

There are factory leather straps offered by Omega which also look great and I think could elevate this watch to a dressy piece. They're compatible with the same deployant.

Anyway, I think the Aqua Terra is one of the best luxury sports watches out there and it's often under-rated, a true hidden gem. I picked this easily over the DateJust and OP39. No regrets. The white dial variant in particular is incredible... I think I could be happy with this as my only white-dial watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AT_rubber.jpg (287.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 13 August 2020, 04:19 PM   #6
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i think aquaterra is nice but not nearly equal to the speedmaster. if youre looking for color the smp300 has so many options
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:47 PM   #7
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
My vote is for an AT but get one of the newer models.... I love my Aqua Terra, got the 38 mm in white/silver

There's really great anti-reflective coating on the sapphire crystal so you get this amazing view of the three-dimensionality of the hour markers, hand, and applied Omega logo. It's absolutely stunning. I like the date window at 6 o'clock and I like the change in design to the horizontal stripes. I think this is a better representation of Omega's design cue, more in line with the laser-etched wave scheme of their SMP series, which I also like. It adds some texture and brings something to the background of the dial, perfectly balanced with the minimalistic use of lettering / words on the dial.

Bought it preowned on the steel bracelet which is SUPERB. The bracelet is really easy to adjust because it provides two 2/3rd links and not 1/2 links, so you are able to incrementally adjust the bracelet by 1/3rd of a link. Should be able to get a great fit. Extremely comfortable and well-executed, even though I typically dislike butterfly deployants... this one is exceptional. If it had tool-less microadjustment, then this would be the perfect watch, would be 10 out of 10 if it could incorporate an EZ-link system.

Due to the summer heat and humidity I wound up forking over $700 to get the factory rubber and deployant. I'll put it back on the steel bracelet in the fall/winter. The rubber strap is very comfortable too, fit and feel is awesome. Best folding-clasp deployant I've ever seen or handled. Love that the excess strap gets tucked away neatly underneath. Very thoughtfully designed and perfectly incorporated into the lugs.

There are factory leather straps offered by Omega which also look great and I think could elevate this watch to a dressy piece. They're compatible with the same deployant.

Anyway, I think the Aqua Terra is one of the best luxury sports watches out there and it's often under-rated, a true hidden gem. I picked this easily over the DateJust and OP39. No regrets. The white dial variant in particular is incredible... I think I could be happy with this as my only white-dial watch.
My favorite Aqua Terra.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:09 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
See if you can add the AT without sacrificing the Speedy. Wear both for several months and then see. With the changes coming in the Speedmaster the prices will bounce up and they will be harder to find.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:10 PM   #9
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

They are very different watches, but both are very good. It comes down to preference and I would never trade a Speedy for the AT, but you may feel differently. That you are asking tells me that you want todo go for it!
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:12 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
There are other gray dial’s I’d consider in addition to the aqua ... DJ, and GS are two also worth looking at.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:14 AM   #11
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
The aqua terra is a sensational watch ... and to be honest, the speedy does nothing for me. So, for me, I’d take an AT in a heartbeat over a speedy.

I too enjoy having a”strap watch” — mine is a Monaco. I have red, black, blue, and brown quick release straps that I LOVE switching.

Can you share where you got those straps? Love them for my Monacos as well.

Thanks!
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #12
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post
Can you share where you got those straps? Love them for my Monacos as well.

Thanks!

Yes, I’m happy to ...

Strapsco.com

Unfortunately, the straps are not quick release any more. But the quality is excellent for the price. Also, google coupon code (normally you can get 15% off).

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:44 AM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
By the time a member posts the "Should I trade..." question here, the watch is already bound to be traded.

The question, then, is what would be the right replacement.

The Aqua Terra is a dynamite watch. If you want to wear one on a strap then I recommend looking at something like this:

For a watch that works beautifully on a strap, I recommend looking at the IWC Portugieser collection. There's a new 40mm Automatic that's really nice, and the Portugieser Chronograph and the Portugieser Automatic with the 7-day movement are great watches, too.

I wear this one now:

[
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote