"TRF" Member

Big day today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:36 AM   #4052
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I bought a small position in HD in 1990.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGooberstein View Post
I was looking to add HD or LOW at some point but it looks like that might never happen given their trajectory... Earnings for both are August 18 and 19, respectively, maybe there will be an opportunity to get in then but my assumption is that earnings will be pretty strong as more people spend time at home and work on home improvement projects.

Actually looking at the numbers more closely HD seems like its overbought whereas LOW is within reason of buying.

HD:
P/E: 27
Forward P/E: 24
PEG: 5.85 (mega yikes)

LOW:
P/E:~26
Forward P/E:~20.5
PEG: ~1.3

Any thoughts?
Have not sold any. It is now worth a lot of money. The quarterly dividend exceeds my initial investment. I am a big fan of HD stock. To go to their store is of no interest to me.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:05 AM   #4053
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Big turn around in tech at 2 pm, markets moving higher in thin volume, AAPL, MSFT, AMZN, AMD, QCOM, NVDA all up nicely
Yessir. And I have 4 of those... if I didn't sell my microsoft recently then that would have been 5.

Also Tesla was up big today, but I sold/took profits when Apple made the announcement of the split and I used the cash to buy more Apple...Now Tesla's going to split. Oh well.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:04 PM   #4054
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 214270
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Tesla split? Glad I bought some in April!
Rwith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:50 PM   #4055
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwith22 View Post
Mostly to get more Robinhood folks to buy it at a more accessible price, but then again not sure how valuable that is given that fractional shares are becoming a thing. It moved headlines though!

Equity prices have diverged from fundamentals so much, especially Tesla imo. I'd avoid it because of the downside risk.
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:54 PM   #4056
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Splits create no value, they reprice shares and increase the number outstanding.

MMM reporting great sales in July

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...ds-q3-comeback

CSCO with disappointing guidance down 6%

https://seekingalpha.com/news/360479...-earnings-beat

I am sticking with CSCO and will add this morning

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...?sref=Hny5JH2p

I like this chart

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:47 PM   #4057
beshannon
"TRF" Member

I have been mildly cautious since July, although I cheer the rally.

Pragmatic instead of greedy I need to protect gains and capital as I near the next phase of my life.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/cram...ey-hurdle.html

I thought Tony Dwyer and his 3300 S&P call was wildly bullish, though now we could move to 3600.

This is technical analysis and although Carly Garner has a great track record I remain cautious. The two things keeping me invested is the fact that bearish sentiment is very high and cash is very high.

Everyone hates this rally and at the end of the day I tend to be a contrarian.

Stay sharp, these Summer days are rough, we wait jobless claims today.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 13 August 2020, 10:19 PM   #4058
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
As discussed nothing changes financially.

Thought is this split (like any) will help entice more regular investors. We know several brokerages allow fractional shares but much of the public seems to like whole shares. Also, some companies lower the price price through splits to get into news indices.

I do think we'll continue to see increased initial demand unless bad news hits. Then demand from folks who went “ga ga” just over the split will subside and we'll be back to following company news, earnings, products, etc...

Bottom line is if you believe in the company, ignore the split. Proceed as usual. Eventually, if Tesla announces a regular cash dividend, more shares for you to collect.

I currently own a small # of shares and will continue to watch with caution like any company. I like how Tesla is both a tech and auto company. Hoping Tesla can duplicate success like post-2010 popular splits (Netflix, Apple) and not many companies follow w/ more splits (especially in the tech sector). We'll see.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:00 AM   #4059
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Averaged down into CSCO at the open, I believe the long term story is still intact
Old 14 August 2020, 12:34 AM   #4060
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Anyone own SHOP or W? I have been in them, they appear overpriced, but keep going up.
Old 14 August 2020, 12:34 AM   #4061
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Everyone hates this rally.
We've been saying this since April and it's so true.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:45 AM   #4062
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Anyone own SHOP or W? I have been in them, they appear overpriced, but keep going up.
I do not own either one.

Online shopping is going to grow. I do not know anything about W and no one can justify the valuation of SHOP. That does not mean they cannot go higher, these are not my kind of investments.
Old 14 August 2020, 12:59 AM   #4063
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
SHOP is gaining marketshare. I don't like W.

And both SHOP and W appear insanely overpriced. That being said, some thought AMZN was overpriced at $1,800 or TSLA at $500. You never know.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:14 AM   #4064
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I do not own either one.

Online shopping is going to grow. I do not know anything about W and no one can justify the valuation of SHOP. That does not mean they cannot go higher, these are not my kind of investments.

I agree that online shopping will grow. That would suggest the corrugated box companies should do the same.

Many will battle on the front line; no matter who wins, it ships in a box or original packaging (also a box).

IP?

Maybe others?

They are poised to succeed then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:23 AM   #4065
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree that online shopping will grow. That would suggest the corrugated box companies should do the same.

Many will battle on the front line; no matter who wins, it ships in a box or original packaging (also a box).

IP?

Maybe others?

They are poised to succeed then.

I agree with this and I am long IP. However, there never seems to be enough margin to give them pricing power.
Old 14 August 2020, 02:36 AM   #4066
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree with this and I am long IP. However, there never seems to be enough margin to give them pricing power.

Yes - the I in IP is their Achilles heel. China’s packaging clout in EMEA limits IP - sort of a glass ceiling.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 04:25 AM   #4067
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Trying to scale into some new names for me

Added small positions in DXCM and TMO

These two have been performing through the entire year and show no signs of stopping, I would add and average down. I have a nephew that has nothing but great things to say about DXCM and TMO is on the forefront of hospital analytics.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:52 AM   #4068
Harvie
Banned

Watch: Yes
Why not play with the big boys, the full S&P at the CME?
always moving .......
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:41 AM   #4069
glenn_herwig
"TRF" Member

Closed SQQQ yesterday and booked a tiny gain. Bought some TQQQ today. Chased it a little higher where I sold last week but I dont want to miss a run up. I still remain long my core position via SPY.

Jaeger Le Coultre Grande Date 240.8.15

Instagram: @select.timepieces
glenn_herwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:09 AM   #4070
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_herwig View Post
Closed SQQQ yesterday and booked a tiny gain. Bought some TQQQ today. Chased it a little higher where I sold last week but I dont want to miss a run up. I still remain long my core position via SPY.
Different strokes for different folks, but the way you wrote that, it seems to imply you're holding these triple leveraged ETFs longer than a one day play. Super risky if that is the case IMO, be careful and best of luck!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #4071
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Some good insights from HSBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/hsbc...aboolainternal
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 11:09 AM   #4072
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Anyone into risk on travel stocks? Hotels, airlines, travel? Seems risky now, but if a vaccine comes out, they will rocket. OTOH, they could go bankrupt.
Old 14 August 2020, 11:54 AM   #4073
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 214270
Quote:
Anyone into risk on travel stocks? Hotels, airlines, travel? Seems risky now, but if a vaccine comes out, they will rocket. OTOH, they could go bankrupt.
I grabbed some airline stocks during the dip in April, Might be a little while before they go back up but even if they go back to where they were trading before the dip there is Still a lot of profit to be made
Rwith22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:04 PM   #4074
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i have norwegian shares and june 2021 calls. its risky but they have the liquidity to survive for over a year. have a bit of delta airlines that i bought in march but staying away from airlines otherwise
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:10 PM   #4075
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:

I bought a lot in early April but sold all I had in May as they will recovery latest. Not looking to get back in until there’s news of recovery or confirmed vaccine.

They WILL skyrocket as soon as news changes, but there will still be an opportunity.

I am just gonna do one of each if I get into any. I like MAR, UAL, RCL. But I’m also open to LUV, NCLH or CCL, depending on who “takes off” first. I’m in an out of DIS as well. They’re in the same neighborhood IMO, even if not on the same street as airlines, etc.

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:14 PM   #4076
-dustin
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone else watch the IGC then NTN melee over the past couple days? I’ve only been into the stocks thing for a week and those 2 provided some good entertainment. I managed to get into IGC early and came away with some lunch money.

What fuels those sorts of rapid escalations and plunges? Besides people like me stumbling across them and looking to make a quick buck.

And no, not a Robinhood user.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:19 PM   #4077
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
I have a position in Marriott, otherwise no travel stocks and no plans to initiate any new positions there. I think airlines will eventually come back, but smaller and leaner and that recovery will likely take longer than many anticipate.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:59 PM   #4078
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
As far as cyclicals go, I'm only in LEAPS, with expirations in January 2020.

Tech-heavy at the moment until things change.

Having been watching the market too closely while on vacation but should be back in the game here next Tuesday. Hope everyone is well!
Old 14 August 2020, 01:00 PM   #4079
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
I bought a lot in early April but sold all I had in May as they will recovery latest. Not looking to get back in until there’s news of recovery or confirmed vaccine.

They WILL skyrocket as soon as news changes, but there will still be an opportunity.

I am just gonna do one of each if I get into any. I like MAR, UAL, RCL. But I’m also open to LUV, NCLH or CCL, depending on who “takes off” first. I’m in an out of DIS as well. They’re in the same neighborhood IMO, even if not on the same street as airlines, etc.

disney has basically recovered to precorona values. it's not really in the same place as travel stocks which are still down 50% or more
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:04 PM   #4080
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Talking Stocks 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
disney has basically recovered to precorona values. it's not really in the same place as travel stocks which are still down 50% or more

I’m speaking less in terms of valuation and more in terms of a portion of their portfolio being involved in leisure activities, and those in which involve travel. They’ve made it almost back to pre-COVID levels, but if their parks were all open and operating at full capacity, they’d be well above those pre COVID levels IMO. Therefore, their growth has been hindered a bit. Once people start traveling more and aren’t worried about large gatherings, they’re very likely to jump much higher.

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote