The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 June 2020, 02:10 AM   #61
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
My issues is, if it's for exercise, why do you need the fastest bike and the sleekest clothes. You'd have to work harder with a slower bike and less wind resistant clothing. Hence, more exercise.

I like to think outside the boxes. And boxes.
I like to wear clothes that will help preserve my skin when I tip over toward the downhill side of the banked switchback turn. And I have about 12 pounds of pressure in my tires.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:14 AM   #62
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
There's little logic in bike riding.
I get it. Just busting their chops.

It's like when I ride a stationary bike do I set it to no resistance or lots of resistance.

Some of these guys have a bike so light they have to wear a weight belt to stop from being airborne.
Old 23 June 2020, 03:18 AM   #63
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
This was my Monday Mid Morning Weapon of choice as we had heavy severe thunderstorms at my normal 0415am riding time so had the ole junk beater carbondale out for once..

CDDD1F9F-6AF8-48A3-B44C-B32E3D433B44.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:21 AM   #64
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Wow.

Doing better than me. I'm at 2%.

I know what a bike is (I think) and what a tire is. Or thought I did.

My issues is, if it's for exercise, why do you need the fastest bike and the sleekest clothes. You'd have to work harder with a slower bike and less wind resistant clothing. Hence, more exercise.

I like to think outside the boxes. And boxes.

OUTSIDE THE BOX...HAH ! Well you can see I am finally starting to drag a few pieces of junk out to play with.. This Pinarella F10 has been setting in my bike room for about 2 years now along with the rest of the complete build..
Old 23 June 2020, 03:46 AM   #65
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
The exercise is just a byproduct of the fun.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:44 AM   #66
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
setting in my bike room for about 2 years now along with the rest of the complete build..
i was wondering about that, since etap no longer comes with the little USB dongle thing.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:51 AM   #67
wb55
"TRF" Member

Wow most of this thread went over my head. Reminds me that no matter how simple a subject can be from the outside it's all just an onion with many, many layers.

OP, out of curiosity are you not interested to drop the PSI down to 100 for a day or two just for the hell of it? See what all the fuss is about?
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 05:09 AM   #68
wb55
"TRF" Member

Shocker, I close Tapatalk to go onto the Google app and what's in the list of articles? This from one year ago under the Google heading of "in case you missed it" from a year ago.

"Shedding pounds of pressure: An attempt to settle a tire(d) debate - Canadian Cycling Magazine"
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...s-of-pressure/
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 06:29 AM   #69
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Shocker, I close Tapatalk to go onto the Google app and what's in the list of articles? This from one year ago under the Google heading of "in case you missed it" from a year ago.

"Shedding pounds of pressure: An attempt to settle a tire(d) debate - Canadian Cycling Magazine"
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...s-of-pressure/
Coincidence.
Old 23 June 2020, 07:11 AM   #70
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Coincidence.
“If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.” -FDR
Old 23 June 2020, 08:30 AM   #71
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
First of all, if you were 231 lbs. and 5’6”, I’d say....ride more. Otherwise, you’re good.

I’m with you on rim brakes on road bikes, especially staying away from Campy’s disc brakes. Nobody loves Campy more than me, but they missed the mark with those brakes. By no means a necessity, but if you ever have a chance to ride EPS, it’s nice. We await a pic when you get your new ride!
Attachment 1143003

Cheers Pickettt - May treat myself to EPS in 5 / 10 years when I retire or if a good deal comes out on the Chorus EPS Mechs and levers. I have made sure the titanium frame is Electronic compatible so I am future proofed. Am putting on a nice pair of 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro RiMs with Record Hubs which should be 12 speed compatible. Have put a picture of my Raleigh USA Pro Team Frame with the last of the 10 speed Record Titanium Groupsets on as well. Managed to get some new style 10 speed Centaur Carbon levers that I got debadged that give the multiple up shifts and down shifts. Definitely one of my all time favourite bikes. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 09:19 AM   #72
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
Cheers Pickettt - May treat myself to EPS in 5 / 10 years when I retire or if a good deal comes out on the Chorus EPS Mechs and levers. I have made sure the titanium frame is Electronic compatible so I am future proofed. Am putting on a nice pair of 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro RiMs with Record Hubs which should be 12 speed compatible. Have put a picture of my Raleigh USA Pro Team Frame with the last of the 10 speed Record Titanium Groupsets on as well. Managed to get some new style 10 speed Centaur Carbon levers that I got debadged that give the multiple up shifts and down shifts. Definitely one of my all time favourite bikes. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If those 10 speed levers’ G springs or carriers should ever break on you, let me know...I have a cache of repair parts for them. I believe I also have the bearing separator tool for Centaur cranks as well. And yes...being able to dump the entire range of cogs with one motion is awesome. That is actually a downside to EPS, you can hold the button down, but it takes longer than mechanical to descend the whole cog set.
Old 23 June 2020, 04:55 PM   #73
BreguetRolex
Banned

FASTER or just KEWL..?

4C434FA2-C3FB-4B93-9FDA-EC4D06D148B9_1_105_c.jpeg

C35F0AC3-13D2-454D-9144-A47870074AEA_1_105_c.jpeg

8618AD10-F355-44B9-BB21-785CE1175EA6_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 23 June 2020, 04:58 PM   #74
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I’ve been riding a bike since the age of five, including as a part-time job now, but I understand only about 10% of what’s been posted in this thread.
With you on that!
English is my first language, but I think I need to get a
little more fluent in 'bike'.

I ride for the excercise, the kit wouldn't make a lot of difference.
Maybe even less effort on a fancy pancy, sooper dooper posing machine.
.........maybe.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 09:30 PM   #75
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I love how BR is just having a conversation with himself now. To the others who have posted in this thread, I have learned something and thank you.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:09 PM   #76
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Just bought 100 of these, I won't ride 'em, just look at them occasionally, oh! And post pix on TRF.
......honest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.8 KB, 78 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:13 PM   #77
77T

Quote:
I’ve been riding a bike since the age of five, including as a part-time job now, but I understand only about 10% of what’s been posted in this thread.

Like many times on TRF one starts a “_________” thread and it quickly evolves into flex and minutiae on various aspects.

But educational value is high...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:17 PM   #78
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Just bought 100 of these, I won't ride 'em, just look at them occasionally, oh! And post pix on TRF.
......honest!
Not something that would catch my eye for sure but hope you enjoy them.. But I can say this, I bought 6 brand new in the box Trek Emonda SLR9's 3 years ago as that was the last year they were hand built;t in the USA.. Its this bike pictured down below X 6... I still have 2 never opened with the shipping bands uncut. The other 4 is built with 2 of them on the emerald isle... They were on close out to the trek dealers and since I am good friends with my trek dealer he gave me all 6 of them at his cost... Yes I did take him to Sri lanka for a nice vacation trip on my wife and I but these are USD$9000.00 retail bikes... I wished there was more to buy as I would have taken a couple more... Trek does not use this highest grade of OVC Carbon any more and been cheapening up the bikes to keep cost down..

27ED504B-D8D4-4BB2-BBB5-A8E424639A46_1_105_c.jpeg
Old 23 June 2020, 11:18 PM   #79
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Not something that would catch my eye for sure but hope you enjoy them.. But I can say this, I bought 6 brand new in the box Trek Emonda SLR9's 3 years ago as that was the last year they were hand built;t in the USA.. Its this bike pictured down below X 6... I still have 2 never opened with the shipping bands uncut. The other 4 is built with 2 of them on the emerald isle... They were on close out to the trek dealers and since I am good friends with my trek dealer he gave me all 6 of them at his cost... Yes I did take him to Sri lanka for a nice vacation trip on my wife and I but these are USD$9000.00 retail bikes... I wished there was more to buy as I would have taken a couple more... Trek does not use this highest grade of OVC Carbon any more and been cheapening up the bikes to keep cost down..

Attachment 1143511
NO they do not come with those wheels as you need to add an additional $5000.00 for them...
Old 23 June 2020, 11:23 PM   #80
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Attachment 1143511

Ummmmm.. Is that how you got the discount?

Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:26 PM   #81
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I love how BR is just having a conversation with himself now. To the others who have posted in this thread, I have learned something and thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
......honest!
The guy's proud of his stuff...no harm, let him have his fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Like many times on TRF one starts a “_________” thread and it quickly evolves into flex and minutiae on various aspects.

But educational value is high...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pretty sure this one started out as flex.
Old 23 June 2020, 11:31 PM   #82
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post

I'm pretty sure this one started out as flex.
Or a Treks.
Old 23 June 2020, 11:39 PM   #83
-dustin

Quote:
I was working with Specialized for their 2013 global product launch at Snowbird when they introduced their new line of tires, which coincided with Zipp's Super 9 clincher coming out party at the 2012 Tour de France. All eyes were on Tony Martin in the prologue - the big debut.

He flatted.

Stage 9 TT - we were eating breakfast, watching the Tour. Tony Martin - flatted. The room got really quiet. World Champ, National Champ, huge favorite...new tires. "The Germans" (aka most of the tire development team) quietly got up and left the room. That was an awkward moment.
Old 23 June 2020, 11:52 PM   #84
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
I was working with Specialized for their 2013 global product launch at Snowbird when they introduced their new line of tires, which coincided with Zipp's Super 9 clincher coming out party at the 2012 Tour de France. All eyes were on Tony Martin in the prologue - the big debut.

He flatted.

Stage 9 TT - we were eating breakfast, watching the Tour. Tony Martin - flatted. The room got really quiet. World Champ, National Champ, huge favorite...new tires. "The Germans" (aka most of the tire development team) quietly got up and left the room. That was an awkward moment.

Surprised he was not riding the $10,000.00 set of German Meilenstein Autobahns Schwarz Edition...
Old 23 June 2020, 11:57 PM   #85
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
i was wondering about that, since etap no longer comes with the little USB dongle thing.
I think the Etap I bought about 3 years ago is most likely outdated with a newer and better version for sure but since its just setting on the shelf along with the bike frame, its going to get built later on this week... Frame just has regular cantilever brakes too.. I will most likely pack it up and take it with me to Sri Lanka when we leave early fall...
Old 24 June 2020, 12:04 AM   #86
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
How do bikes equipped with these wheels ride in cross winds? I’d think they’d act like two big sails.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 12:07 AM   #87
-dustin

Quote:
Surprised he was not riding the $10,000.00 set of German Meilenstein Autobahns Schwarz Edition...
he rides what marketing directors tell him to ride. SRAM and Specialized had a very deep relationship that year, as that was also the year SRAM was debuting their hydro road brake and disc brake calipers. Specialized went all-in for that, and it came back to bite them in the ass.
Old 24 June 2020, 12:12 AM   #88
-dustin

Quote:
How do bikes equipped with these wheels ride in cross winds? I’d think they’d act like two big sails.
they do. however they do also transfer power more efficiently.

this particular wheel, under very limited conditions, actually produced negative drag.
Old 24 June 2020, 12:19 AM   #89
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's why you never see one on the front of the bike.
Old 24 June 2020, 12:23 AM   #90
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
did you see me riding in the Arabian Desert on one in Dubai..? I posted a link here. Even as crazy things I do, I surely would not ride the roads with a front disc wheel for sure.. Those RZR92's with a heavy cross wind would really jerk you around.. That wheel is usually only used for Time Trials but I always defy all odds and do what I want with something I buy no matter its intended use..:)