The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

Advice on my inherited Explorer

I am the proud possessor of a Rolex Explorer 1 36mm which my father brought at sometime, I don’t know when, but suspect it was in Germany from the PX in the 1960’s, but it could have been earlier. I have no intention of ever parting with it and I am exploring, pardon the pun, service options. It is one of several of his watches I now have. The Rolex was the one he always wore sailing, fishing, and hunting.

It has an after market band on it right now that he put on it as the old band is floppy and stretched out. The original band found in his jewelry box is on its way to Rolliworks for rebuild.

The watch needs service, but I am not sure how far I want to go on it, in terms of parts replacement.

I would post a photo but I am too new to do so.

The watch, whose age I do not know as I do have the proper tools for band removal and can’t read the serial, has been serviced by the NY RSC at least once. I remember him getting it back. During that trip the dial got repainted with fluorescent. The paint job is a little sloppy when compared to a modern explorer dial face. The dial will glow bright after getting light by my surefire flashlight, but the Mercedes hands are pale and no glow at all. The dial is marked “OYSTER PERPETUAL EXPLORER” “OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED CHRONOMETER” The watch keeps great time only gaining about 3-4 seconds a day. Unfortunately when setting the stem was pulled out and the crown is no longer connected to set the time or wind it. I set it by waiting for The time where it stopped then shock it to get it going and got it set within 5 seconds of actual time. When it gets a minute ahead I let it sit for a day and after about 20 hours or so it stops. Is having the pulled stem a big deal or minor repair?

My gut is to replace the hands with new one’s that will glow, but not sure if I hurt the watch by changing them. What do you all think about changing the hands?

My Father had the option to change the dial and opted to have them paint the fluorescent as he wanted to leave as much alone. If I wanted a fresh dial what options are really there?

Am I correct that odds are with me it will out last me too ( I’m in my late fifties)?

I know I am looking at $1k or so for a service and I am not worried about price as much as during what is best for the watch. It has made me dig into learning about watches more and to pull out a manual wind Rolex I brought off of EBay years ago (It is now at a local watchmaker) and to look at getting another Oyster Perpetual off EBay.

Wearing The Suunto AMBIT3 does not do it for me these days.
Old Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sounds like a great heirloom that will, indeed, outlast you with proper care.

Anybody can post a picture as long as it fits the size requirement. You do need more time and posts for links.
Old 12 August 2020, 11:44 AM   #3
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
I look forward to seeing pictures! My take is leave it as original as you would like and update it however you please. This is a watch to be worn (as was the case with your father) and not be to kept as a museum piece. Replacing the seals would be a top order for me personally as I would want to wear it out. If you would like hands that glow to match the dial, you could always have that done, too. Again, pics will help a lot.
lhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:15 PM   #4
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
I too look forward to seeing some pictures. As far as servicing the watch leaving the watch as original as possible (dial, hands, etc.) is usually best. If you choose to to have Rolex New York or Dallas service the watch I suggest making it very clear that originality is a priority.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 12:55 PM   #5
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

I managed to get the band off. It is a Model 6610 the serial number is from 1957. I believe it has a 1030 movement. As for posting pictures I do not believe I am able to until I hit ten posts.

He must of purchased it as a Captain in battery command in the 2ACR in Amberg Germany. It must of been a great year for him as he brought his Browning Superposed the same year.. I hunt that gun still.
Old 12 August 2020, 01:05 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Colonel View Post
I managed to get the band off. It is a Model 6610 the serial number is from 1957. I believe it has a 1030 movement. As for posting pictures I do not believe I am able to until I hit ten posts.

He must of purchased it as a Captain in battery command in the 2ACR in Amberg Germany. It must of been a great year for him as he brought his Browning Superposed the same year.. I hunt that gun still.
As mentioned above, you can post photos now, but they have to be pretty small, and that's regardless of how many posts you have. Rolexforums only hosts small photos. Larger photos must be hosted elsewhere, such as Imgur, and you will need 10 posts before you can post a link to a large photo hosted on one of those sites.

Re-inserting the stem is not a big repair. But it sounds like your watch is due for a full service anyway, so that's probably what most people would recommend. Preventative maintenance now will potentially help you avoid major repairs requiring replacement parts in the future.

If you replace the hands or the dial, the value of the watch (and its desirability to collectors) will be decreased dramatically. Removing and replacing the luminous material in the existing hands will also hurt the value somewhat, but not as much. Another option would be to have an independent watchmaker replace the hands, but save the old ones and return them to you. That way, the original parts could always be restored in the future. If Rolex replaces parts, they won't return the old ones. That all for your information, but in the end it's your watch, so you can make whatever choice you want.
Old 12 August 2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

I am nervous about using an RSC vs a quality watchmaker known for Rolex work. My experience with a local watchmaker leave no doubt I need a guy with access to parts. But the RSC reputation for their way or the highway concerns me.
Old 12 August 2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
As mentioned above, you can post photos now, but they have to be pretty small, and that's regardless of how many posts you have. Rolexforums only hosts small photos. Larger photos must be hosted elsewhere, such as Imgur, and you will need 10 posts before you can post a link.

If you replace the hands or the dial, the value of the watch (and its desirability to collectors) will be decreased dramatically. Unless you can have it done by an independent watchmaker who will save the old parts and return them to you. If Rolex replaces parts, they won't return the old ones. That all for your information, but in the end it's your watch, so you can make whatever choice you want.
I understand how to post with a link, however I cannot seem to find a function that allows a small photo to paste into a post.

What am I missing?
Old 12 August 2020, 01:17 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand how to post with a link, however I cannot seem to find a function that allows a small photo to paste into a post.

What am I missing?
When you are typing your reply, scroll down and you will see a button that says manage attachments. Click on that, and you will have a window to help you upload files if they are small enough.

I edited my previous post and added some more comments BTW. Just trying to think what might be useful for you to know.
Old 12 August 2020, 02:12 PM   #10
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

Attachment 1156653Attached is a low quality Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9308EF04-FA6B-4EAC-B447-208689B7E1AA.jpeg (93.3 KB, 596 views)
Old 12 August 2020, 04:13 PM   #11
kip595
"TRF" Member

I can see why the hands and dial lume jar you, the lume being so different from being a re-work.

My advice would be to consider whether you want it as close to the way it was when your dad left it to you, or do you want to update/restore to your own tastes and be comfy in the knowledge that it was his and now yours? Provided there's nothing catastrophic, the movement can definitely be serviced by a solid maker - personally I'd go independent. If value isn't your concern, it kinda frees you up to go with what you like most.

No real 'wrong' way to answer that in my opinion.
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Contact one of the Ridleys. Either Phillip in Scottsdale or Bob, in Ft Worth. Just Google them. I'm sure most people here would strongly agree. They are, in my opinion and many others, the best independents out there.

COL, USA (Ret)
Gecko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:46 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Due to the state of the dial and hands, it would be better to have a presentable watch than worry about vintage value on a watch you’ll never sell.

A fine dial refinisher could do much to make yours look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:03 PM   #14
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Due to the state of the dial and hands, it would be better to have a presentable watch than worry about vintage value on a watch you’ll never sell.

Who is good at what you recommend?
Old 13 August 2020, 08:53 PM   #15
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly you’re not going to get much better than what you have. Not sure if RSC still services the 1030 movements or not but a service dial/hands would be ideal.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:59 AM   #16
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I am fully in this camp. Sound advice.

Go with one of the Ridleys you'll be in good hands.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:07 AM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Advice on my inherited Explorer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
I am fully in this camp. Sound advice.

Go with one of the Ridleys you'll be in good hands.

I concur that either of the Ridleys could do the job on movement and case. I am not familiar with their desire to have a dial refurbished vs refinished. Both of them have accounts on TRF and have posted examples of their work, too.

Bob, the Original Master: https://watchmakers.com

Philip, the Younger Master: https://ridleywatchmakers.com

I would not send it to the RSC for any of the work. They are great with modern references, but not a choice when parts are no longer stocked.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 01:13 PM   #18
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
+1 on getting the dial fixed. Could anyone out there relume with radium?
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 01:14 PM   #19
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
I would leave the hand also, and wouldn’t have the case polished... that’s my take. I’d try to bring it back to as close to original spec as possible and enjoy it :)
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 01:19 PM   #20
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

+4 for the Ridleys in this case. Either wall take great care of your heirloom and give you some sound restoration advise.
Old 19 August 2020, 07:08 AM   #21
Old Colonel
"TRF" Member

I have contacted Ridley in ft worth and it is going out to him. Roll iWorks has the original bracelet
Old 19 August 2020, 08:44 AM   #22
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have contacted Ridley in ft worth and it is going out to him. Roll iWorks has the original bracelet
Bravo! pic after please if Ridley doesn't post here.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 09:13 AM   #23
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Two very capable companies who will do you right