The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2022, 07:23 AM   #1
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

WOS Rolex Allocation

Hi All, anyone have any insights into how watches of Switzerland in the UK allocate their watches? Is it done at their head office based on spend history and wait time? Or is it simply, if you know the SA or store manager, you’re more likely to get a watch. Does anyone have any actual insights? Maybe you know a SA at WOS and they mentioned it to you. No need to post assumptions..
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 07:31 AM   #2
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I was told in the Goldsmiths store (WOS owned) that it was about spend history and the watches were allocated in head office.
shammad10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 07:55 AM   #3
onlyonerolly
"TRF" Member

Yep, spend history. For context I used to buy one or two watches a year (Rolex/other brands) and for the last two years I can’t get anything (Rolex or popular Tudor) because that spend history clearly wasn’t deemed enough in comparison to others. I’m in a Goldsmiths and WOS only city too, so I’m out of the Rolex game for now as I can’t afford grey prices.
onlyonerolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 08:36 AM   #4
theparry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Spend history definitely helps but isn’t as much of a blocker as you may think. Picked up an Explorer from WoS yesterday after a six month wait and my spend history with them isn’t the best, a few Tudors over the last couple of years. I kept in contact with my rep who fought my corner and pushed sales directors/head for the allocation and the rest is history!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 08:40 AM   #5
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Head office will allocate but it helps to have a nice salesperson. Spend history and time on the wishlist are taken into account and their importance depends on the model you're after.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 08:59 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 09:01 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

“Sorting Hat”
£ for £

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 09:59 AM   #8
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
Depends on the store. My AD allocates locally based on spend history, how well they know you and trust you not to flip and how much they perceive you are worth to the business as a customer. The exception is peices like the platinum or meteorite modules and yellow gold/green dial Daytona which are head office allocations.
JC180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 04:27 PM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikee View Post
Hi All, anyone have any insights into how watches of Switzerland in the UK allocate their watches? Is it done at their head office based on spend history and wait time? Or is it simply, if you know the SA or store manager, you’re more likely to get a watch. Does anyone have any actual insights? Maybe you know a SA at WOS and they mentioned it to you. No need to post assumptions..
As a rule, you’ll struggle without spend history. Of course there are exceptions, but they have huge client bases that spend money.

(If you’re after a datejust you have better chance)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 05:57 PM   #10
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
As a rule, you’ll struggle without spend history. Of course there are exceptions, but they have huge client bases that spend money.

(If you’re after a datejust you have better chance)
I have some spend history, some jewellery and a Tudor. Not loads.. but not nothing either.

My main reason for asking is because if allocation is all down to head office, then why bother with all this getting to know the SA stuff. I’ve been waiting for 6 months, so not too bad. Happy to wait longer before going grey.

My SA is super nice, it’s just so difficult to tell if they get trained to say certain things…
Old 25 April 2022, 07:12 PM   #11
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I picked up my Op 36 Yellow 9 days ago after waiting less then 5 weeks mainly as I was out of the country, I was told allocated by head-office, with evidence of my spend and with feedback from my SA and the store manager who I know well by now.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 09:27 PM   #12
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Definitely worth getting to know the SA.
Less hot pieces are up to them to allocate but with the agreement of the store manager. If they don't put you forward to the store manager you won't get the watch.

Really hot pieces are allocated centrally but you still need the SA/store manager to put your case forward
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 10:35 PM   #13
dannyp
Banned

If it's head office, does that mean that WOS as a whole (at least within a given country) receives a single allocation and the head office chooses which stores get what and how much? Or does Rolex just send to each location as it will and head office decides what goes to whom from there?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 11:52 PM   #14
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

-Sorting hat touches top of my head-

“BLNR!”

Me- “yes!” LMAO this would be infinitely more fair than the current systems being used by most AD’s lol.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 11:55 PM   #15
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
If it's head office, does that mean that WOS as a whole (at least within a given country) receives a single allocation and the head office chooses which stores get what and how much? Or does Rolex just send to each location as it will and head office decides what goes to whom from there?

From my understanding this is how it is done. Distribution from the head office. At least for most of the models I’ve expressed interest

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 12:53 AM   #16
Crazycollector
"TRF" Member

Helps to have SA on your side pushing your case; told this by SA who was always on my side: Allocations come to store, SA has to pass all by manager, high demand pieces manager has to pass by head office.
My SA has now left…told me had to pass my account to colleague…who unfortunately undertakes a passive attitude : “if it happens it happens, nothing I can do”
Crazycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 10:31 AM   #17
Crazycollector
"TRF" Member

Oh….and if you are allocated a high demand piece then you are unlikely to be allocated another one for quite some time
Crazycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 02:05 AM   #18
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I’m doing all the right things just a waiting game now. I have myself down for an OP and Datejust as a first piece. Then the SA also put me down for a GMT, but did say that I wouldn’t be able to get the GMT as my first piece.
Old 27 April 2022, 02:55 AM   #19
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikee View Post
Purely spend based allocation and trust that your not a flipper.

The very top models require head office approval, but again that is down to the AD to put you forward and they will look at your spend over time/monthly spend.
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:32 AM   #20
gold&black
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonerolly View Post
Yep, spend history. For context I used to buy one or two watches a year (Rolex/other brands) and for the last two years I can’t get anything (Rolex or popular Tudor) because that spend history clearly wasn’t deemed enough in comparison to others. I’m in a Goldsmiths and WOS only city too, so I’m out of the Rolex game for now as I can’t afford grey prices.
Nice avatar onlyonerolly
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:36 AM   #21
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

It’s all such a load of rubbish in the UK - I went through this distasteful (slightly degrading) process with WOS for a few months, but there was no way I was going to buy anything I don’t want without any guarantee of getting what I do want. In the end, I got a date sub via a boutique in Switzerland with only a 5 week wait and no spend history and a true waitlist. However it required a family member who is both Swiss and a local resident in Switzerland to make the actual purchase as they prioritise locals. So in some places they clearly operate a fair first come first served system, which WOS could do rather then cynically exploiting the situation. I actually later bought a Cartier that was available online from WOS elsewhere as I didn’t want them to have my business. Btw I was told by multiple SA at WOS that spend history at WOS must be in actual Rolex not Jewellery etc. to count.
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:54 AM   #22
onlyonerolly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold&black View Post
Nice avatar onlyonerolly
Come on me babbies!
onlyonerolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 04:38 AM   #23
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewi777 View Post
Btw I was told by multiple SA at WOS that spend history at WOS must be in actual Rolex not Jewellery etc. to count.
I am sick of WoS game. If it is really what you said they only count on Rolex, the case is they never allocate one to me, how can I improve my spend history?

Honestly, as what other OP said, SA is quite important. I used to have a good one but she left. Replacing by the one who is very passive or may be i am a shxt to her I haven't got any from WoS for nearly 2 years.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 06:07 AM   #24
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Adding my experience.

Bought a Tudor from WOS a year ago and had other watches serviced through them. Yet to be allocated the sub / DJ I registered interest for. I drop past every couple months, seem to get along well with my SA, they’ve invited me to a few events. Haven’t been offered anything.

In the meantime I went to another AD, bought an engagement ring and got a sub 6 weeks later. Have since been offered a few different steel DJ variations.

I don’t bother wasting my time with WOS anymore.
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 06:08 AM   #25
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

Yep defo told same by multiple SAs in multiple WOS stores (at least 3). You have to start your Rolex “journey” (I kid you not, I was told this) with a DJ and you can work your way up to a sports model over time. Spend history has to be in actual Rolex to count towards place in queue (which is based on a combination of time in queue and spend history and allocated by head office supposedly - according to one SA that explained it all in detail - which of course differed from what other SAs said but he seemed the most believable). It’s all a ridiculous mugs game.
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 06:23 AM   #26
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep defo told same by multiple SAs in multiple WOS stores (at least 3). You have to start your Rolex “journey” (I kid you not, I was told this) with a DJ and you can work your way up to a sports model over time. Spend history has to be in actual Rolex to count towards place in queue (which is based on a combination of time in queue and spend history and allocated by head office supposedly - according to one SA that explained it all in detail - which of course differed from what other SAs said but he seemed the most believable). It’s all a ridiculous mugs game.
Rolex Boutiques in the US generally operate this way too. I don't see an issue with it. Start off with an OP/DJ, move on to a Sub and so forth. Certainly better than being asked to buy undesirable and overpriced jewelry.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 06:59 AM   #27
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I first bought my sub and Hulk in WoS in 2016 and YM etc in 2019 and 2020, the last one was DJ36 and then still got nothing. Well, may be I am after Pepsi and new green sub, they re too high demand.
Anyway I am also done with wos. Whatever they want and will move to another ADs. I won't buy anything there they get me one in my wishlist.
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 09:07 AM   #28
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Last SA I spoke to was very open about what it takes to get any SS Rolex
2 words
Buy Diamonds
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 10:28 AM   #29
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
It’s all such a load of rubbish in the UK - I went through this distasteful (slightly degrading) process with WOS for a few months, but there was no way I was going to buy anything I don’t want without any guarantee of getting what I do want. In the end, I got a date sub via a boutique in Switzerland with only a 5 week wait and no spend history and a true waitlist. However it required a family member who is both Swiss and a local resident in Switzerland to make the actual purchase as they prioritise locals. So in some places they clearly operate a fair first come first served system, which WOS could do rather then cynically exploiting the situation. I actually later bought a Cartier that was available online from WOS elsewhere as I didn’t want them to have my business. Btw I was told by multiple SA at WOS that spend history at WOS must be in actual Rolex not Jewellery etc. to count.

I’m not sure why you consider pulling strings to obtain to your watch less distasteful.

It’s all unfair to somebody else.

It’s less distasteful to you. Not that it’s less distasteful in itself.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 10:44 AM   #30
gerryb92
"TRF" Member

There is of course a solution which doesn't involve selling your soul and almost begging in exchange for a Rolex...

Buy grey
gerryb92 is offline   Reply With Quote