The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2023, 10:18 PM   #1
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Protective Stickers on brand new watch

Hi all..... I've had a call come in from my AD saying a watch that I've been waiting on for a couple of years has come in with my name on it. This will be my first new Rolex in twelve years. Years ago, that AD permitted the customer to choose whether they took a new watch away with the factory protective stickers on it or for them to be taken off. For my last purchase, I kept the stickers on the watch for the first few months just in case I bumped or scratched it as I got used to the watch's size. When they got grubby, I then peeled them off. The AD is saying their new policy is all stickers have to be removed from the watch. Is this now common practice across all ADs or is something that Rolex insists on?
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 10:20 PM   #2
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Yep seems to be, they removed (most) of them from the last few I’ve had from the AD
GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 10:20 PM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Take the stickers off, enjoy the watch. Don’t read many of the replies that come afterwards…many here get riled up about stickers.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 10:22 PM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats!

A used watch is a used watch. Condition (within normal reasonable wear) won't affect future trade value should you part with it.

Enjoy it, it's yours!
Old 17 January 2023, 10:24 PM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That “ sticker removal“ policy is legit and has been for the last year or two. I enjoy the process of removing all stickers when I get a new Rolex but it’s not like this new policy will probably take all the stickers off so you may find a few hidden to remove. It’s fun in a WIS sort of way.

There is a few stickers they always miss.

Old 17 January 2023, 10:46 PM   #6
PhilK
"TRF" Member

To some degree, I find it frustrating if this is the policy. At the end of the day, the watch is mine and I, as the customer, ought to be able to choose whether or not I want the stickers taken off. I would be so frustrated if I get a scratch on the watch in the first few weeks which would otherwise have been protected by a sticker. It's a bit like a new car. It will always end up with some scratches / minor dings but you try and keep it unscathed for as long as possible!
Old 17 January 2023, 10:49 PM   #7
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
You won't even be allowed to hold the stickers after they have been removed. lol

It may frustrate you but resellers charge even more for watches still stickered, so I'm glad ADs do this.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 10:51 PM   #8
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Stickers are worth more than the watch in a parallel universe
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 10:56 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My AD takes off the stickers. They have always done this. The only exception occurred last December. I went in by arrangement to collect an Omega and they were unexpectedly behind and piled up with work and customers. I took the watch home unsized and fully stickered. It didn't stay that way for long.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:01 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally I like that they remove them.

I usually find one or two that they miss anyway …
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:03 PM   #11
Aman08
"TRF" Member

When I got to my AD last week they were all off except for one on the back of the clasp. Wear and enjoy congratulations!
Aman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:22 PM   #12
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I think they are implementing this to deter the flipping of brand new watches with stickers on.
Old 17 January 2023, 11:32 PM   #13
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Yes they remove as Rolex policy to deter flippers as much as possible

Just wear the the watch and enjoy

I always told AD to remove all the stickers on every Rolex I have purchased

Stickers are a breeding ground of bacteria, dead skin cells (gross), and accumulated dirt/grime
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:41 PM   #14
Emery
"TRF" Member

Mine was presented to me with stickers on, and after payment, when they brought it to the back for resizing, stickers were removed at the same time.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:07 AM   #15
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
My AD lets me take them all off but tells me the policy is not to let me leave with them in place.

Fine by me.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:24 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I understand ADs must now remove all stickers before the watch can be sold. A watch which turns up on the "used market" with stickers intact is a huge problem for that selling AD if Rolex buys the watch. Goodby to the Rolex line.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:27 AM   #17
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Protective Stickers on brand new watch

Please take off the protective plastic packing material before wearing your watch.

Pretty please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:35 AM   #18
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK View Post
To some degree, I find it frustrating if this is the policy. At the end of the day, the watch is mine and I, as the customer, ought to be able to choose whether or not I want the stickers taken off. I would be so frustrated if I get a scratch on the watch in the first few weeks which would otherwise have been protected by a sticker. It's a bit like a new car. It will always end up with some scratches / minor dings but you try and keep it unscathed for as long as possible!

I suggest you don't buy the watch then if it's a deal breaker. Greys will gladly sell you a stickered example for 3x MSRP .

I have no issues for the AD to remove stickers. I'm going to wear my watches for me, so why would I need a sticker to become grubby within two weeks to then peel them off?

Besides, it's Rolex policy (and AP for that matter) and should discourage SOME flipping. I'm all for it
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:37 AM   #19
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is party done to prevent watch flippers, but probably started as more of a convenience/service to the customers. Considering the current state of the Rolex market, customers are not necessarily in a position to demand anything when buying a model at MSRP. Further, while true that the watch is yours once purchased, Rolex does have the right to dictate the terms of the sale which currently involves removal of stickers.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:48 AM   #20
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Common practice
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 01:52 AM   #21
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
I like the thought of removing my own stickers, until you actually have to remove them all.
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:06 AM   #22
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Stickers

When I bought my Honda Accord I asked to keep the white plastic that all cars are shipped with on. I wanted to drive it like that for the first year in case I got a scratch. They looked at me funny and said no. I also keep plastic on my couches like my great grant parents did. Go figure.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:09 AM   #23
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
The worst is when people don't remove stickers...then over time dirt gets under the edges of the stickers and you just know it will be scratching the watch.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:11 AM   #24
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
When I bought my Honda Accord I asked to keep the white plastic that all cars are shipped with on. I wanted to drive it like that for the first year in case I got a scratch. They looked at me funny and said no. I also keep plastic on my couches like my great grant parents did. Go figure.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:23 AM   #25
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
I do understand the frustration (although I would never keep the stickers on and wear the watch personally). Its just one of the various tactics employed by all ADs now (I believe at the request of Rolex SA) to dissuade flipping.

Much like the bezel protector, the stickers are there to protect the watch from damage from completion of assembly through transport to the AD (and any any subsequent handling up to the point of sale) to ensure that when you leave the AD the watch is pristine. They are not there to prevent damage after purchase and although ADs used to leave them on if asked, they were supposed to remove them at purchase, much like a car dealership removes protective transport plastics before delivery.

The watch is mine argument doesn't really wash I'm afraid. The watch is only yours after you've paid for it, and if you wish to be given the opportunity to pay for it, the stickers must come off. Its a condition of sale in the crazy world where we are now made to feel privileged to be offered the opportunity to purchase a Rolex.

If you are worried about damage, there are various sticker kits available which are more fit for that purpose

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 03:10 AM   #26
"TRF" Member

Unless you're a flipper why would you want those stickers on it?
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 03:24 AM   #27
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
Unless you're a flipper why would you want those stickers on it?
I know some collectors that want NOS watches in their collection alongside watches they wear on a day to day basis. A bit like people who collect old whiskies but will never open the bottle or concours cars that are driven around on trailers. Defeats the original core purpose of having them in the first place but no different to wanting a NOS watch that's never been worn.
Old 18 January 2023, 03:37 AM   #28
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
It may frustrate you but resellers charge even more for watches still stickered, so I'm glad ADs do this.
Grey's charge more because it's become "rare" for a new watch to have stickers on it. If Rolex had left the stickers on every watch they sold then it wouldn't be so "rare" and there wouldn't be a premium
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 04:45 AM   #29
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's a bit like a new car. It will always end up with some scratches / minor dings but you try and keep it unscathed for as long as possible!

Poor analogy because there are SO MANY stickers/protective films that come on a new vehicle that are taken off before delivery.

Unless you take delivery of the vehicle right off the delivery truck from the factory, which I have done several times, you'll never see them.
Old 18 January 2023, 05:01 AM   #30
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
I don’t care, but I think it’s a silly policy and there are other measures they could easily take if they were really serious about minimizing the flippers.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote