The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 January 2024, 03:36 PM   #121
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Paying over retail isn’t happening for me. Hard pass.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 05:41 PM   #122
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy it, period. Even at MSRP.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:40 PM   #123
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Would you overpay 10k for a celebration dial ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well today hype sells watches, now if it was hyped on so called social media then it would be a must have watch. Then most of todays younger age whose sole information cupboard is in so called social media, Instagram, Youtube etc instead of using there own brain. And many now do what ever social media dictates what to buy, as so called social media have taken over there lives and use of there own brain power.Plus today many buy the hype to wear it take the Daytona great movement yes, but it must have been the most hyped Rolex watch ever.And sure if it was not for the hype it would not be top of the list of must have Rolex watches today.
Do you know what social media is?

Since 2005 you made about 51660 posts on TRF. This watch forum is part of social media.

How about more respect for those you call the "younger age"?

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:41 PM   #124
SearChart
TechXpert

I never overpay.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:42 PM   #125
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Nope.
These times in general are over...
Old 7 January 2024, 09:07 PM   #126
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post

Since 2005 you made about 51660 posts on TRF. This watch forum is part of social media.

How about more respect for those you call the "younger age"
Do you realise you have made around 1500 plus posts on one subject,and have mocked me with your replies, so thought I would return with mine so you have a nice day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 09:42 PM   #127
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Yes, this term refers to Big Brother-style platforms on the Web2.0 internet that collect data and build profiles from the information of natural persons.

Accordingly, applying this noun to other media is incorrect, especially since many of them existed before the Internet became as widespread as it is today. For example, BBS systems around the world operated over a regular telephone line back when the personal computer age was just beginning.

So being able to comment and chat is not the definition of social media. Accordingly, TRF is NOT a social media platfrom. It is a forum, based on its engine, which does not collect more information, than you can see or know about.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 09:44 PM   #128
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Yes, this term refers to Big Brother-style platforms on the Web2.0 internet that collect data and build profiles from the information of natural persons.

Accordingly, this noun's application to any other medium is incorrect, and especially since many of these existed before the Internet was at all as widespread as it is today. In fact, for example the BBS systems worked over the world via a regular telephone line at a time when the age of personal computers was just began.

So being able to comment and chat is not the definition of social media. Accordingly, TRF is NOT a social media platfrom. It is a forum, based on its engine, which does not collect more information, than you can see or know about.
Exactly that.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 January 2024, 09:54 PM   #129
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I always overpay.

This one isn't worth it.

Wife wears the turquoise OP and when I showed her this I got a seriously wtf is that response.
Old 7 January 2024, 11:14 PM   #130
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
If we talked about the DayDate? Probably.
Old 7 January 2024, 11:21 PM   #131
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Accordingly, applying this noun to other media is incorrect, especially since many of them existed before the Internet became as widespread as it is today. For example, BBS systems around the world operated over a regular telephone line back when the personal computer age was just beginning.

Quote:
Exactly that.
It's OK that you want to think that way, but you simply made all that up. Just typing it doesn't make it so...not even if you use bold font.

TRF may be more multidimensional than X or Instagram or Facebook, but people flex here just like Instagram, they post their nonsensical thoughts with no real appetite for dialog, just like X. Some try to build an online persona and may sell a thing or two just like Facebook.

Just because the term "social media" is newish doesn't mean it only applies new things.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 11:49 PM   #132
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Seems some have lost the use of their brain power, or are possibly in denial, about TRF being part of “social media”. While the format may be different than other websites or applications, TRF is still very much by definition (Oxfords, Merriam-Webster, etc) a social media site.

And a useful one at that, filled with decades of informational content, pictures, relationships, opinions, disagreements, etc. and other benefits for this enthusiast community.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 11:57 PM   #133
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post
Seems some have lost the use of their brain power, or are possibly in denial, about TRF being part of “social media”. While the format may be different than other websites or applications, TRF is still very much by definition (Oxfords, Merriam-Webster, etc) a social media site.

And a useful one at that, filled with decades of informational content, pictures, relationships, opinions, disagreements, etc. and other benefits for this enthusiast community.
Speaking for myself I was speaking about so called social media like Facebook, Twitter,Tiktok,Whatsapp etc TRF is mainly a watch forum which is the only one I want to be a member of. .

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 8 January 2024, 12:05 AM   #134
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking for myself I was speaking about social media like Facebook, Twitter,Tiktok,Whatsapp etc TRF is mainly a watch forum .
Yes, it's a watch themed Social Media platfrom. That doesn't make it bad.

You spend a lot of energy reposting your laments that there is a lot of watch value discussion and not a lot of watch history or technical discussion. I believe there is plenty of technical discussion about modern references and the history was always a topic only interesting to a very small minority.

Rolex has allowed their suppy to fall far behind demand. You can't do that without increasing the value aspect of the discussion. Society evolves and Social Media follows.
Old 8 January 2024, 12:14 AM   #135
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
It's OK that you want to think that way, but you simply made all that up. Just typing it doesn't make it so...not even if you use bold font.
It is not a problem if you do not know the difference, it is always worth to learn. The social media is a place, where the silly people lives their REAL LIFE and where they are looking for a social community, friendship, in an easy term: LIFE.

Quote:
Just because the term "social media" is newish doesn't mean it only applies new things.
Acutally it is not new, but in contrary it was invented to divide the blogs, forums and so on mediums from the new ones. This was important, as all the rest forms are related to some kind of a TOPIC but not to the PERSONS. So, for example here we are talking about watches, mainly from Rolex. Sometimes people posts pictures of their watches, sometimes about their dinner, but none of us lives our life here, we are not here to gather friends, "likes" and success in the followers numbers - in contrary to the social networking, which acts exactly as we have seen in the MATRIX.

So no, it is NOT a semantical difference, but a huge one, here you can feel yourself good, can gather information, or sometimes help in a specific case, but this forum is not intended to replace your real life.

Live well: ban the social media.
Old 8 January 2024, 12:17 AM   #136
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is not a problem if you do not know the difference, it is always worth to learn. The social media is a place, where the silly people lives their REAL LIFE and where they are looking for a social community, friendship, in an easy term: LIFE.

Acutally it is not new, but in contrary it was invented to divide the blogs, forums and so on mediums from the new ones. This was important, as all the rest forms are related to some kind of a TOPIC but not to the PERSONS. So, for example here we are talking about watches, mainly from Rolex. Sometimes people posts pictures of their watches, sometimes about their dinner, but none of us lives our life here, we are not here to gather friends, "likes" and success in the followers numbers - in contrary to the social networking, which acts exactly as we have seen in the MATRIX.

So no, it is NOT a semantical difference, but a huge one, here you can feel yourself good, can gather information, or sometimes help in a specific case, but this forum is not intended to replace your real life.

Live well: ban the social media.
Did you read this on Reddit?

The term was used in the 1990s, when facebook was just what we called the college yearbook.

Obviously TRF is much different from TikToc but they are both unquestionably social and clearly both media.
Old 8 January 2024, 12:27 AM   #137
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
To overpay RRP shows one's willingness to pay to enjoy this watch. In another words, there is an economic cost and one is willing to sacrifice economically to enjoy the joy of owning this piece.

To me, it is just a watch. I am not willing to bear the extra economic cost to own A watch. In reality, I am not rich enough to overpay.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 12:31 AM   #138
Xky
"TRF" Member

OP would you overpay 10k for a celebration dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 12:35 AM   #139
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did you read this on Reddit?
No. You know somebody has good memory and own thoughts too. We are different Now you know something about me, what I did not shared yet.

FIY:
Old 8 January 2024, 01:05 AM   #140
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
... all the rest forms are related to some kind of a TOPIC but not to the PERSONS. So, for example here we are talking about watches ... we are not here to gather friends, "likes" and success in the followers numbers - in contrary to the social networking....
This is a very helpful distinction -- between topic-centered digital environments like TRF versus person-centered digital environments like IG, TikTok, FB, Twitter, etc.

Rightly or wrongly, I think of the latter but not the former as being "social media."
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 01:11 AM   #141
ons2101
"TRF" Member

Agree with most here about MSRP

If you like it and you have enough variety in your collection that you want to add it , then for sure.
To each his/her own !

It’s like the first time I joined here and realizing how much people paid for a PM version of the same watch…. Now are are talking the price of a watch is the price of a nice car ! But as a neighbor told me “it’s only money” - so whatever makes you feel comfortable

If I was me and I wanted one, I’d put $6100 in a high yield savings account and label it celebration and when you get the call from the AD hopefully it should cover tax as well….

I could agree to pay may 10% over MSRP to have it instantly and not play any of the AD games …. But 200+ % over no way !

ons2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 01:16 AM   #142
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. You know somebody has good memory and own thoughts too. We are different Now you know something about me, what I did not shared yet.

FIY:
I don't really see that as helping your case. TRF is neither static nor otherwise within your definition of web 1.0
Old 8 January 2024, 01:16 AM   #143
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I would have no interest in that watch at any price.
Old 8 January 2024, 01:30 AM   #144
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... Now you know something about me, what I did not shared yet.

FIY:
Well, that's what social media is all about now isn't it?
Old 8 January 2024, 01:33 AM   #145
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I don’t like the dial at all, so it’s a no even at MSRP for me.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 01:57 AM   #146
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
AD would need to pay me $10k to walk out with that monstrosity.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 02:43 AM   #147
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't really see that as helping your case. TRF is neither static nor otherwise within your definition of web 1.0
Pff... "over and out".
Old 8 January 2024, 03:27 AM   #148
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Absolutely a hard NO, Not even if I was paid just to wear it. Most hideous watch I have ever seen.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 03:42 AM   #149
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I love paying market price for the watch i want and dealing with absolutes.

You pose the question: would i overpay for a watch? I say, no such thing. There is retail price, and there is market price. Market price is a more realistic indicator of the value of the watch than retail -- good or bad.

So, OP -- would YOU pay market price for the Celebration? only you can decide. If i wanted it, I'd have already done it. Retail is meaningless unless you have the opportunity to buy at that price. Strangers on the internet getting offered at retail doesn't help you nor is it an indicator that you may do the same. YMMV.
Old 8 January 2024, 04:51 AM   #150
Patekfinder
Banned

Hell no. Literally taking $10,000 and lighting it on fire.

If people stopped paying these prices and the watches sat, the prices would come down. Stop contributing to the fake demand. This isn’t even real man.

Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote