The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2018, 01:03 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Finally becoming reasonable?

Hi guys,

With time going by I have noticed that there are less and less watches I actually love enough to want to buy, a few years ago there were many watches I wanted to have, now almost none.

At the moment there are only 2 that I really want, the SS Pepsi and the 5740, and zero real interest to have others, sure there are some watches I would get if I were to make a lot of money, like a few RM for example, but at my present financial situation it makes zero sense to buy one as they are clearly overpriced for what they are.

Sure at some moments I have a very temporary desire to buy a watch, last one was the WG Daytona on rubber, but after a few days the desire just passes.

Basically I want to add these two which will make a 6 watch collection as I will have my current 3 Patek and my AP, by the way I am selling my Voutilainen, great watch, but it is too dressy so I don't wear it much, and to have 100k in a watch I rarely wear is insane to me, and apart from these two there is no watch I want to have at my present financial situation.

Were I to win the lottery and I would get a 5711P, 5650 and a few RM, but with my current revenues only the Rolex and PP are calling my name, I don't want to buy watches that I will get bored of after 6 months and want only watches I will keep, the Pepsi and the 5740 are clearly 2 watches that I will want to keep and that are going nowhere, I know my tastes now and these two are in every way perfect for me.

So will basically have 4 PP, 1 AP and 1 Rolex, which is a great number for me, more than 6 and some are rarely worn.

I am quite happy that I finally was able to become serious as I did have impulsive purchases for watches a few years ago, something which I am sure never happened to any of you I got 5 watches in a 2 month period at one point.

So there is hope for us watch junkies after all

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:15 PM   #2
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

My sincerest congratulations on coming to terms with this hellish addiction. I completely agree with your "cooling off" strategy. 90% of all infatuations pass rather quickly...
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:25 PM   #3
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

would u grace us with photos of ur current five?
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:25 PM   #4
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Solid plan Arnaud! Both are great pieces

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:35 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Good plan Arnaud. You already have a very balance collection. But did I recall you also have an independent? Kari Voutilaine if I am correct.

I impulse buy often which is why I end up with watches that perhaps I can do without in retrospect. My interest in any particular watch can also come and go. I may feel bored with it for a while but if I put it away for 3 to 6 months and wears it again, it feels fresh and I like it again. So hard to say.

Moving forward, I will probably keep my collection of watches at not more than 20 at any time ( Yeah, I know that's still a lot, but I love variety ). My taste is changing too and I am not sure where it takes me.

Right now, I am thinking of the Patek 5170P. Having tried it at the Salon, I cannot get it out of my head.
Old 22 July 2018, 01:59 PM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
My sincerest congratulations on coming to terms with this hellish addiction. I completely agree with your "cooling off" strategy. 90% of all infatuations pass rather quickly...
Yes after 3-4 days the desire passes, before the desire passed once I had purchased the watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
4 not five since I am selling the Voutilainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Solid plan Arnaud! Both are great pieces
Thanks buddy, and I know these two won't be going anywhere once I have them

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Good plan Arnaud. You already have a very balance collection. But did I recall you also have an independent? Kari Voutilaine if I am correct.

I impulse buy often which is why I end up with watches that perhaps I can do without in retrospect. My interest in any particular watch can also come and go. I may feel bored with it for a while but if I put it away for 3 to 6 months and wears it again, it feels fresh and I like it again. So hard to say.

Moving forward, I will probably keep my collection of watches at not more than 20 at any time ( Yeah, I know that's still a lot, but I love variety ). My taste is changing too and I am not sure where it takes me.

Right now, I am thinking of the Patek 5170P. Having tried it at the Salon, I cannot get it out of my head.
Thanks Ben, yes I have the Voutilainen, but it is on sale as I don't wear it often.

20 watches is great if you are able to rotate them, I know that I am incapable of rotating more than 6 watches, when I had 10 I was only wearing 5-6 and the others were in the safe and never worn, since I don't see the interest of having unworn watches I sold them, and I don't want to make the same mistakes, it will be perfect to rotate the 5 high end pieces and to use the Rolex as a beater and vacation watch, more than that is stupid for me, but I understand people who love having many watches even if they don't wear some, for me a watch is meant to be worn, it's great when you are capable of rotating 20 like you, but I am incapable of doing that

I must say I like to have different materials, when I have those 2 I will have 1 RG, 1 WG, 1 ceramic and 3 SS, of course all my watches will be Genta designs, or inspired like the Aquanaut and the ROO, but I really love those designs, I tried before to have more diverse styles, but always ended up wearing the ones I loved the most, apart from these the other design I really love is the RM tonneau shape, but there is no way I can justify the insane prices that they are selling for, when you see that a RM 035-02 which is time only and NTPT case, is selling for more than the 5740, which is WG, PC and moon phase, there is no way those prices are justified, they are just a result of great marketing and RM producing not enough watches to meet the demand, if they were at 40-50k, which is for me the value they should logically have, I would most certainly buy one, but at 120k it is just totally insane, for that price would prefer 100 times to get a 5650, even if it is probably not worth 120k it certainly has more reasons to be selling at those prices than the RM...
Old 22 July 2018, 02:02 PM   #7
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post

There they are, the Voutilainen is on sale but I put it anyways so you can see it

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2018, 02:13 PM   #8
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Wait didn’t you get a custom engraving on the Kari? Seems rough to let that one go. After meeting him earlier in the year I’ve been thinking about getting one.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 02:28 PM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Wait didn’t you get a custom engraving on the Kari? Seems rough to let that one go. After meeting him earlier in the year I’ve been thinking about getting one.
Yes, mine is a unique piece with engraving, of course but at the same time I don't want to have a watch which will sit in the bank and not worn, and having a more than 100k watch not being worn is impossible for me, it is a beautiful watch, but dressy watches are not for me, I like casual sporty models. Well if ever you are interested by mine let me know, they are great watches of course but not for me
Old 22 July 2018, 03:10 PM   #10
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this..

I too have gone through my crazy phase of having bought 4+ watches in 30 days.

Recently I have made a decision to only buy watches that I will give equal wrist time, and that fit my lifestyle. In my case sporty/summer-compatible/light-weight watches are what make sense for me. I'm a much happier with watches today. I know what I like, what I don't like, and what makes sense for me to buy.

Cheers to you!

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:45 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
100k for the KV? Wow I thought it was less. Hey that’s a shame after waiting so long but if it doesn’t appeal to you that’s that. Good luck with sale
Old 22 July 2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

There’s only one man you should sell that KV to - Paul!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 04:22 PM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It’s all part of the process.
Ebb and flow, you know what you want, It’s a great moment. Enjoy

I am surprised by the decision to sell the Kari.

Also find that as a result of my years of focus, my interests have become very specific with only a couple of pieces that appeal to me.... do you agree it’s nice to know exactly what you like?
Old 22 July 2018, 05:24 PM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
100k for the KV? Wow I thought it was less. Hey that’s a shame after waiting so long but if it doesn’t appeal to you that’s that. Good luck with sale
Well it is less if you get the normal 28, since this is a unique piece with officers case back and engraving that changes the price, which is pretty logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
There’s only one man you should sell that KV to - Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
It’s all part of the process.
Ebb and flow, you know what you want, It’s a great moment. Enjoy

I am surprised by the decision to sell the Kari.

Also find that as a result of my years of focus, my interests have become very specific with only a couple of pieces that appeal to me.... do you agree it’s nice to know exactly what you like?
Well like I said it's an amazing watch but really not one that fits my lifestyle, don't see the interest to keep it forever in a safe.

Yes it's great to know what you like and get only pieces that you love and won't be bored of after 6 months, I always loved the Pepsi design, just not enough to spend 30k on the WG so the SS Pepsi is perfect and is IMHO, the coolest Rolex on the market, the 5740 is a close to my perfect grail watch as possible for a bracelet watch, the only thing I would like more than a 5740 would be a 5740-5712 in platinum, followed by a 5711P though I like busy Nautilus dials so if for the same price I could get the 5711P or 5740G I would probably choose the 5740, love the dial and the 240QP movement, I was hesitating to get one, as I have already 2 Nautilus, but it's for me the coolest watch on bracelet, with a little luck they will make a 5712P for the 50th anniversary, that would definitely be a must for me, I would have 4 thin Nautilus, 2 SS 1 G and 1 P, , but I'll be a super happy camper if I just add the 5740, looks amazing in the flesh, for me it's much more desirable than a 5270P, but I just love thin Nautiluses, not a big fan of the very thick ones like 5980 and 5990, I prefer the 5726 to these 2
Old 22 July 2018, 10:37 PM   #15
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Your writeup is very interesting -- thanks for that. I remember reading your journey with the Voutilainen. What a personal watch! Sorry it didn't fit your lifestyle. I'm curious to know how the marketing of one of those goes. What you came up with is stunning! Given that and not having to wait a year or more to get in line, and then have it hand made, does that make it salable at a good price? Or is the process of helping design a Voutilainen a big part of the appeal and thus it is hard to sell one already designed for someone else's eye?

It's great to know what you love. I am not so far a "collector" although hanging around TRF certainly makes me admire more watches than I even knew existed a couple of years ago. You certainly have a thing for the "Genta look!"

Good luck with the sale and the collection!
Old 22 July 2018, 10:38 PM   #16
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Hi guys,

With time going by I have noticed that there are less and less watches I actually love enough to want to buy, a few years ago there were many watches I wanted to have, now almost none.

At the moment there are only 2 that I really want, the SS Pepsi and the 5740, and zero real interest to have others, sure there are some watches I would get if I were to make a lot of money, like a few RM for example, but at my present financial situation it makes zero sense to buy one as they are clearly overpriced for what they are.

Sure at some moments I have a very temporary desire to buy a watch, last one was the WG Daytona on rubber, but after a few days the desire just passes.

Basically I want to add these two which will make a 6 watch collection as I will have my current 3 Patek and my AP, by the way I am selling my Voutilainen, great watch, but it is too dressy so I don't wear it much, and to have 100k in a watch I rarely wear is insane to me, and apart from these two there is no watch I want to have at my present financial situation.

Were I to win the lottery and I would get a 5711P, 5650 and a few RM, but with my current revenues only the Rolex and PP are calling my name, I don't want to buy watches that I will get bored of after 6 months and want only watches I will keep, the Pepsi and the 5740 are clearly 2 watches that I will want to keep and that are going nowhere, I know my tastes now and these two are in every way perfect for me.

So will basically have 4 PP, 1 AP and 1 Rolex, which is a great number for me, more than 6 and some are rarely worn.

I am quite happy that I finally was able to become serious as I did have impulsive purchases for watches a few years ago, something which I am sure never happened to any of you I got 5 watches in a 2 month period at one point.

So there is hope for us watch junkies after all

Always good to get people’s thoughts on their collections and the reasons for pieces being moved on. Shame about the KV!

5711, 5712 and a 5740 is a lot of Naughty - maybe too much?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:39 PM   #17
tng11
"TRF" Member

Interesting thoughts Arnaud. I am going through the exact same phase right now where I am not actively looking to acquire anything, and very very few pieces are catching my eyes these days (possibly only the Lange Datograph.) My purchases moving forward will be much more calculated, as for a while I was impulse buying SS Rolexes.

This came after a crazy four week period in which I picked up a FPJ CB, 5990 and 5712.

It's a good feeling to have, being able to sit back and enjoy without having my eyes on another.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:46 PM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Shame to hear about the KV but I understand and it's one reason why I am in no hurry to buy a PP PCC which was my dress grail, altho maybe now it's been supplanted by the 5740.

The Zeitwerk and 5740 are watches that do tempt me at times, but after a few days the hunger goes away as you say, so it is the excitement of pursuing a new watch that I like as much as anything. Plus I'd have to sell something, my RG AP or PP to make it happen and I don't want to do that, I'm happy with where I am now and as my watches just get enough wrist time, once a week at least, I will not add any more without selling.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:50 PM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I am still unreasonable
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Plus as a born and bred Londoner I just cannot handle all this heat, so I can't even look at a leather watch right now. In the house I don't even wear a watch any more... or a t-shirt.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:03 PM   #21
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Plus as a born and bred Londoner I just cannot handle all this heat, so I can't even look at a leather watch right now. In the house I don't even wear a watch any more... or a t-shirt.
The 5740 has a WR of 60m. Just saying
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:34 PM   #22
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
There they are, the Voutilainen is on sale but I put it anyways so you can see it

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Love your collection
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:43 PM   #23
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
This makes sense Arnaud. I wish I could trim to that level but I can not. One thing is for sure, with the addition of the 5740 I am done adding any more Patek watches. At that point, it will be one in, then one must go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2018, 01:04 AM   #24
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I'm headed toward reasonableness, I hope. First one in the simplification plan already gone, son about to get another and a few more headed for sale. All part of the journey towards discovering the true keepers for me.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:46 AM   #25
Vipes
"TRF" Member

It took me awhile to get to this point where I know what type of watches work for me. All part of the watch journey and I think I’m at the same point as you; slowing down with watch purchases and enjoying the current pieces. Do you have 3 or 4 PPs?
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:04 AM   #26
soundserious
"TRF" Member

The more you know the less you need.
Old 23 July 2018, 03:01 AM   #27
SW1
Banned

I thought the Vouti was for yoyr dsughter you were handung down to. I would dump the 5167R and take the bath because the loss on the KV is going to be brutal
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 03:02 AM   #28
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
The more you know the less you need.
Could not have said it better! Best of luck with the sale Arnaud. Take the loss and move on as we all have been there.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:14 AM   #29
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Gone the opposite - finding leather much cooler so 5711 and Daytona not seeing any wrist time at the moment.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 04:42 AM   #30
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I am still unreasonable
Lol...as am I.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote