The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 November 2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Randy Marsh
Banned

How is a Rolex magnetized ???

Somebody posted about his Rolex being left near his cellphone for the night and the next day the watch was crazy....
What other factors or conditions can magnetize a Rolex ???
Randy Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:31 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
A nice chick for starters!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:33 AM   #3
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
If you ask JJ he will tell you by his outgoing brilliant personality.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:37 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
If you ask JJ he will tell you by his outgoing brilliant personality.
I wonder if Randy will ever get a serious reply to his question after you and I have finished with this thread!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 14 November 2008, 04:38 AM   #5
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
A little history if you are willing to read...

Recently my watch began reading time in a most bizarre way. Someone told me it might be magnetized. What does this mean and how could it have happened?

Oscar Peterson, Oxford, England

Answer by Professor J.C. Nicolet

A bit of history

The phenomenon of magnetism was first observed by the Greeks about 600 B.C. The natural magnet Fe3O4 (a black ferrous oxide), called magnetite was found in the province of Magnesia in Turkey. Around the 3rd Century A.D., the Chinese used magnetic material found in nature to make their compasses so necessary in navigating the high seas. In 1600, William Gilbert, physician to England's Queen Elizabeth I, published a treatise called "De Magnete" which theorized that the earth was one gigantic magnet, thus explaining variations in the movement of needles that had been magnetized.

Artificial magnetism

Magnetic fields produced by natural magnets are too weak to disturb the operation of a watch. The same is not true, however, of man-made magnetic fields. In the early 19th Century, when scientists discovered how to produce very large electric currents, strong magnetic fields appeared by electromagnetic inductance. This important physical phenomenon was discovered in 1831 by Faraday, and began the development of important practical applications of electricity, i.e. electric motors, current generators, telegraph, telephone, radios, etc. In 1872, Siemens produced the first really efficient electric motors, and over the next 30 years, these new inventions quickly found their way into small workshops wherever electricity was available.

By the end of the 19th Century, the widespread use of electric motors brought with it the widespread magnetization of pocket watches. The first "victims" of this artificial magnetism were people employed in factories using electricity. The early current generators caused the formation of strong magnetic fields which had a negative effect on any watches worn in the workplace.

A solution to this problem arrived in the form of an apparatus composed of a horseshoe-shaped magnet that could be turned by means of a crank. At each half-turn, the polarity of the magnetism at any given point changed direction. By alternatively moving the magnetized object towards the horseshoe and then away from it, the article could be demagnetized. (This same principle is used today except that the horseshoe has been replaced by a powerful coil connected to an alternating current.)

Early preventive measures

In the 19th Century, the regulating organs of watches were made essentially of steel thus making them highly susceptible to the effects of magnetic fields. The first measures to prevent this problem consisted of placing pocket watches in empty waxed white iron boxes which conducted the magnetic forces. While these waxed boxes were very efficient in protecting the watches, their main drawback was that they had to be opened to tell the time.

The first quarter of the 20th Century brought about significant changes in this domain. The 1920 Nobel prize winner, Charles-Edouard Guillaume of Fleurier, Switzerland invented a nickel-iron alloy which replaced the earlier steel alloy in making balance springs. This greatly improved the reliability of watches for three reasons:

· They were less sensitive to magnetism.

· They were less sensitive to rust due to humidity.

· They were less sensitive to thermal changes (which was the principal aim of Guillaume's research).

With this alloy and the invention of stainless steel used in making cases, watches were no longer susceptible to the effects of magnetism in the home or in normal industrial workplaces.

And gold?

Unlike their steel cousins, watch cases made from gold do not protect the watch from the effects of magnetism. It is therefore advisable to equip the movements of these timekeepers with a para-magnetic screen made of iron, mu-metal or permalloy. This precaution is usually not taken for esthetic reasons. A gold watch with a protective screen is not very elegant, making it more difficult to sell. Perhaps one day, manufacturers will look more closely at this problem. In the meantime, wearers of gold watches should be careful not to expose their timepieces to magnetic fields.

Magnetic fields in the home

So where are the risks of these forces in the home? Non-negligible magnetic fields are found near loudspeakers, stereo systems, televisions and radios. Therefore, one should avoid setting a gold watch on top of any of these items. Less obvious, but posing an even greater danger for a gold watch are the magnets found in refrigerator doors or other cabinets. Even a brief contact with these items is enough to magnetize a gold watch. Caution is the byword when wearing one of these timekeepers in the kitchen. Although a magnetized watch can be demagnetized as mentioned above, the procedure is tedious. To do a good job, the watch must be dismantled and each steel part demagnetized separately.
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:41 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Some great info there, Fernando; but why does the entire watch have to be dismantled to demagnetize it? Can't it just be run through a special demagnetizing device?

JJ

Old 14 November 2008, 04:48 AM   #7
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Some great info there, Fernando; but why does the entire watch have to be dismantled to demagnetize it? Can't it just be run through a special demagnetizing device?

JJ
Correct JJ, the watch can be passed through a degaussing machine, about a 30 second procedure from what I am told.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 04:49 AM   #8
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

In a typical automatic watch this has to be done because multiple parts of the watch get magnetized. Rolex has fought this problem by the following:

Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona

GUILLAUME — THE ROOTS OF ACCURACY Due to temperature changes, the elasticity of the hairspring actually varies depending on the ambient temperature. If temperature increases, a carbon steel hairspring (the type used prior to Guillaume) will lose its elasticity, resulting in a tendency for the watch to start to lose on its rate. A decrease in temperature will have the opposite effect. Cut, bimetallic compensation balances partially canceled out temperature error, but imperfectly; and in addition, carbon steel hairsprings are extremely prone to becoming magnetized. Guillaume’s invention of a form of nickel steel, known as Invar, resulted in the ability to create so called “self compensating” hairsprings, in which temperature error is almost completely eliminated, and the descendants of such hairsprings are still in use today.

A NEW ERA OF ACCURACY INTRODUCED BY ROLEX All that changed in the 1990s when Rolex discovered and patented a new alloy they named Parachrom that they would use to create hairsprings capable of unprecedented levels of performance. But what makes Parachrom superior to Invar hairsprings? For one, Invar hairsprings are easily susceptible to magnetic influence. Place your watch too close to a stereo speaker and it can easily become magnetized. The coils of the spring attract each other and no longer breathe regularly or concentrically, resulting in major loss of accuracy. Watches becoming magnetized are, to this day, one of the most prevalent service problems. While many manufactures make anti-magnetic watches with soft-iron inner cases, it is only Rolex that has decided to “treat the disease” and not simply alleviate the symptoms of magnetic influence on the hairspring.

The second marked superiority of Parachrom to Invar is its greater suppleness, resulting in hairsprings that are ten times more shock-resistant. The real-world application to a watch equipped with Rolex’s Parachrom hairspring is that you can go through life confident that your watch will not be affected by the vast majority of magnetic fields; that you can wear your Rolex for the most rugged sport without fear that shocks will cause loss of accuracy or, even worse, permanent damage.

Enjoy...:_)
Old 14 November 2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I'll continue this latter....I have to go see patients...
Old 14 November 2008, 04:51 AM   #10
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Here is some info I found on another site:
Credit James Elsener.

Watches are made of metals like steel, nickle, aluminium and others. Most metals' molecular structure is influenced by magnets. There are materials with a natural magnetism like iron (steel), nickle, cobalt or alumina. These naturally ocuring magnetic fields are usually of no concern.

It is the much stronger magnetic fields created with electricity which is adversely influencing the benign natural magnetism of the mentioned materials.

What creates these magnetic fields?
Most items like mobile phones, microwave ovens, computer screens, TV sets, radios, cars, etc. create various and often frequency hopping magnetic fields during operation. Some of them more than others. Some of them create stronger fields than others. Especially strong fields are for instance created by mobile phones and computer screens / flat screen TVs. Another 'high-risk' place are the radiation tunnels at airports' check-in and boarding facilities.

What happens inside the watch?
Metal parts are prompted by the magnetic to align themselves with the magnetic fields. Much like you can influence most mechanical watches with a simple hand-held magnet. The metal parts' natural magnetism is influenced by the magnetic fields in such a way that the south-facing ones in the metal start pulling south and the north-facing ones pulling north. Depending on the magnetic fields property. The part affected by the magnetic field pulls then in the direction of the polarization of the magnetic field. And the influenced part's molecular structure stays that way till it gets in touch with a stronger magnetic field. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field).

If the magnetic field influences the escapement, the barrel spring or part of the geartrain unduly the watch either stops working or runs very fast. Sometimes the stopping is preceded by the watch loosing time very much. Stoppages are more frequent than fast-running.

What can be done to prevent the undue influence of magnetic fields?
The best prevention is to keep mechanical watches as best as one can away from too close contact with items emitting stronger magnetic fields. Granted this might not always be feasible in daily life. But, just for instance not wearing your mobile phone on your belt helps a lot. Keeping the watch away from a micro wave oven when operating the oven is another sound idea.

What to do when the watch is magnetized?
Take it to your local watch maker. By taking it through a demagnetizer the watch's ill-affected components get straightened out so to speak.

Are quartz movements influenced by magnetism as well?
To our knowledge quartz movements do not react to magnetism. The reason being that they have a lot less metal parts and that they create a magnetic field themselves. This is created by the oscillation of the quartz. So for those spending their time constantly in an environment prone to magnetic fields emitted by the various cited sources a quartz watch might prove the ideal watch companion.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 06:03 AM   #11
Randy Marsh
Banned

Old 14 November 2008, 06:06 AM   #12
Randy Marsh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

JJ
Look JJ....those are what I call an answers........!!!!! Goddam'....shut up and listen or I'm going to fill up your mail with Swatches on Natos pics....how does that sound big boy ???
Old 14 November 2008, 06:08 AM   #13
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
The best answers ever on TRF.
Old 14 November 2008, 08:30 AM   #14
flwrtears

Watch: Rolexes
a good info..learn another new things from here..
flwrtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Jeez you guys know some stuff!!!!
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 08:49 AM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Excellent answer.

Now, how does a Rolex get magnetizeded?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Watch Fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Of course, the ultimate answer to concern about magnetic fields would be to get a Milgauss! Having said that, I feel much better about having my GV to wear.
Watch Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2008, 10:41 AM   #18
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
What creates these magnetic fields?
Some of them create stronger fields than others. Especially strong fields are for instance created by mobile phones and computer screens / flat screen TVs.
So does all this time on TRF mean we are damaging our watches
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 05:16 AM   #19
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I've got three watches sent to RSC for regulation and two of them came back after RSC stated "demagnetized movement" on the service paper.
Is there cheap demagnetizer from places like RadioShack I can buy? it'll save $$ on the postage
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 05:39 AM   #20
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I love this thread!!!!!!
Old 28 February 2009, 03:43 PM   #21
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

In my experience watches most commonly get magnetized by money-clips, purses and X-ray machines.

The money clips and purses with magnetic closings of course. The magnets are very strong, and the watch passes by there sometimes several times a day.

I wouldn't recommend demagnetising your own watch since you wouldn't know for sure if it's magnetized before you'd run it through the coil, and as a result you could magnetize your watch by doing it incorrectly. It's not rocket-science, but you should leave it to a professional.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 04:05 PM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
You mentioned X-Ray Machines Vanessa and my heart skipped a beat... I usually put my Daytona in my briefcase when going through security at airports (If I wear it through the security point, it sets off the metal detector about half the time), am I damaging my watch by puting it through that lousy TSA X-ray machine?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 01:48 AM   #23
bradleyb
"TRF" Member

haven't seen laptop computers mentioned

There are all sorts of sources for magnetization in this modern world.

I have had a watch magnetized by going through a security screening in a government building. As far as computer monitors and flat screens, I doubt that I get my watch close enough for those to make a difference.

BUT, I finally figured out that the recurring source for magnetizing my watches was a laptop computer with speakers mounted at the front, where my wrists rest when I am typing. The watch would build up a magnetic field gradually, until I would notice it running fast. When the watch could "grab" the needle of a compass where the needle would follow the watch 360° around the compass, I would say that was an unequivocal indication that the watch was holding a magnetic field.

Using a compass, I have found where the two laptops that I use have strong magnetic fields and keep my watches away from them.

With all due respect to Vanessa (you rock!), I bought the cheap Swiss de-gausser that Ofrei sells and it works great. Found it needed a 220 volt source to be really effective. And, yea, some people use it to re-magnetize parts, so you've got to know what you're doing. But, for my two cents, and the Milgauss or a Sinn is not in my future, there are so many ways for a watch to be affected by magnetism these days that my little blue job has paid for itself--even though my jeweler does it for free. With just the travel, time, and parking to get there I would say that my de-gausser has paid for itself.

Cheers,

Bradley
Omega GMT 2538.20 - emeritus
bradleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 02:55 AM   #24
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

I tried to demagnetize the balance a a vintage Elgin I was restoring. I used the same demagnetizer I use for my small engraving tools, and when I passed the balance through it, the pull of the demagnetizer deformed the hairspring. Not sure what type of demagnetizer would be better, but I won't try this one again.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote