The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2018, 07:58 AM   #1
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Precision
Help needed, 1952-53 Precision 6024, 866.xxx

Hello!

I was recently given this 36mm Rolex Precision (6024, 866.xxx) by my father, who inherited it from my late uncle a couple of years ago .

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me with some information :)
I love watches, Rolex in particular, but my knowledge of them is very limted. This is also my first Rolex.

Here is what I know about the watch:

I know with certainty that my uncle bought it new in the 1950s, and from what I can gather (knowing the serial number) I believe it was manufactured in 1952-53? Please correct me if I am wrong!

I was told by my father that it was serviced once during the late 1960s or early 1970s. My father has a vague memory of my uncle telling him that the crystal was replaced during service, but he is uncertain.
The bracelet doesn’t have any markings or logos, so I guess it is aftermarket? After that last service it has pretty much been lying in a drawer during the past decades. My father gave it to me because he knows I love it and that I will use it.

I have been looking at pictures online of different dials and from what I can see it looks like a ”honeycomb” dial, but I am hardly an expert so perhaps you guys could correct me if I am wrong? I also understand these are not the most common of dials?
From what I can tell, the hands seem to match the hour markers. The watch also has lugholes on one side only.

I am also a little curious about the crown. Did these originally come with a superoyster crown? In that case, I guess the crown was replaced during service aswell.

Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated. I am already in love with the watch and one thing is for certain, I will never sell it :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
A.Petersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:20 AM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is not a Rolex model.

There’s something very strange about the case. Not just the fact it has pierced lugs only on one side but the general dimensions and proportions relative to the bezel.

Can you remove the bracelet and post pictures of the numbers between the lugs?

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:43 PM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The case is absolutely correct, the 6024 only had lug holes on one side. It is a rare hen. They only made a few thousand 6024s from 51-53. Its a great watch with a 36mm case but with 19mm lugs and a manual wind movement.
That white "honeycomb" dial is absolutely stunning, wear that thing with pride! The dial actually looks more like wicker to me.
And yes, the bracelet is aftermarket. Trying to find a correct Rolex bracelet from 51-53 will cost you an absolute fortune. An aftermarket German mesh bracelet would look period correct on that piece and wont break the bank.
Old 20 July 2018, 03:36 PM   #4
pettai
"TRF" Member

As Matt said it is rare as hen's teeth! It is a keeper.....beautiful and rare dial and correct case. Two additional bits, it 2 piece case where in the bezel is integrated and crystal is pressed in....please do NOT service the watch with any independent and let them touch the dial.Give a shout out RWT who travels to UK often and can help you. Crown has been changed and serial and model numbers are between lugs @ 6 & 12 o'clock (for your reference only). I am intrigued by the bracelet...it could be Gay Freres(at least in style). Good luck and wear in great health. Best Dilip
pettai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 04:00 PM   #5
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The case is absolutely correct, the 6024 only had lug holes on one side. It is a rare hen. They only made a few thousand 6024s from 51-53. Its a great watch with a 36mm case but with 19mm lugs and a manual wind movement.
That white "honeycomb" dial is absolutely stunning, wear that thing with pride! The dial actually looks more like wicker to me.
And yes, the bracelet is aftermarket. Trying to find a correct Rolex bracelet from 51-53 will cost you an absolute fortune. An aftermarket German mesh bracelet would look period correct on that piece and wont break the bank.
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! Now that you mention it, it does look like wicker.

No intention on trying to find a correct rolex bracelet. Will probably buy a Hirsch strap or two, they have some real nice looking straps that I think will complement the watch nicely.

I will absolutely wear it with pride, looks amazing. It runs great btw.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:31 PM   #6
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettai View Post
As Matt said it is rare as hen's teeth! It is a keeper.....beautiful and rare dial and correct case. Two additional bits, it 2 piece case where in the bezel is integrated and crystal is pressed in....please do NOT service the watch with any independent and let them touch the dial.Give a shout out RWT who travels to UK often and can help you. Crown has been changed and serial and model numbers are between lugs @ 6 & 12 o'clock (for your reference only). I am intrigued by the bracelet...it could be Gay Freres(at least in style). Good luck and wear in great health. Best Dilip
Thank's for the info! I have all the numbers, they are readable even with the bracelet on. The bracelet is a mystery, considering there are no markings other than "stainless steel". I am guessing it is nothing special, doesn't "feel" like very high quality either.

I will be VERY careful when it comes to servicing the watch. Don't know if there is anyone here in Sweden with whom I can trust with servicing the watch?
Old 20 July 2018, 09:31 PM   #7
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The case is absolutely correct, the 6024 only had lug holes on one side. It is a rare hen. They only made a few thousand 6024s from 51-53. Its a great watch with a 36mm case but with 19mm lugs and a manual wind movement. .

Was there specific utility/purpose in piercing lugs only on one side?

It’s a very unusual looking case for sure but the waffle dial is beautiful

Old 20 July 2018, 09:36 PM   #8
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettai View Post
...it 2 piece case where in the bezel is integrated and crystal is pressed in

So the bezel and mid case are a single piece of steel and can not be separated?

Old 20 July 2018, 09:57 PM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Yes I prefer the term Waffle Dial for that one. The honey comb dials are really different than this. The waffle I would say is even rarer.

I am curious how anyone gets the "number of units produced" because Rolex has NEVER disclosed that information anywhere to my knowledge.

Yes the case is 2 piece. The bezel is machined out of the same as the case frame. It does not separate. The crystal is a BP 30.4.

They haven't been available genuine for decades. We generally replace with a GS if it is absolutely necessary. Yours looks fine.

In fact yours looks like a GS replacement.

I think the odd shape is due to the lens bowing. A further away straight on shot you should see a more realistic view.

It did originally have a SO crown. Many did get changed out by Rolex.

Calibre 710 Shock.

The 6024 really is kind of the early version of the 6424 if I'm not mistaken.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 10:09 PM   #10
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Yes I prefer the term Waffle Dial for that one. The honey comb dials are really different than this. The waffle I would say is even rarer.

I am curious how anyone gets the "number of units produced" because Rolex has NEVER disclosed that information anywhere to my knowledge.

Yes the case is 2 piece. The bezel is machined out of the same as the case frame. It does not separate. The crystal is a BP 30.4.

They haven't been available genuine for decades. We generally replace with a GS if it is absolutely necessary. Yours looks fine.

I think the odd shape is due to the lens bowing. A further away straight on shot you should see a more realistic view.

Calibre 710 Shock.

Many thanks, great info!

Old 20 July 2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Was there specific utility/purpose in piercing lugs only on one side?
Sure makes strap changes easier. I wish they'd continued the trend with the 6424, frankly! I've had springbars get stuck in there requiring them to be cut out, what a pain.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 11:23 PM   #12
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Calibre 710 Shock.

The number produced just came from old threads in multiple posts on a few different sites. It is either correct info or the same statistic regurgitated over and over.
Old 21 July 2018, 03:29 PM   #13
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Sure makes strap changes easier. I wish they'd continued the trend with the 6424, frankly! I've had springbars get stuck in there requiring them to be cut out, what a pain.
I agree. Generally they use shouldered spring bars when there are no holes...but then someone uses a regular one...and it's fonky.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I know if I ever manage to find that 36mm WG case and make my 1016 frankenwatch*, I'm going to drill the lugs. Left side anyway. Even though I'd be using shouldered gold bars for that, it just makes life easier. I change straps pretty frequently on my 101x watches, drilled lugs will permit me to avoid the otherwise-almost-inevitable scratches and gouges from having to pull the bars.

*The 1016 I usually wear was sold to me with a water-damaged dial which I could refit to the watch and if desired sell as I received it (I think it looks grotty but someone will call it tropical and love it); using the service dial and hands I currently have, I'd like to fit those into a WG case for a casual daily WG 1016 lookalike. I read about another member who did this, gave me the idea. I love my 1016 and I love gold
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:32 PM   #15
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Mine says hello!

They all start with the same three serial-number digits, hence the less than 1000 produced number. The odd thing is that most of them (that I’ve seen) have washed up in Sweden, so maybe a large batch was sent here back in the early 50’s, Sweden being relatively rich and untouched by the war? I absolutely love your white waffle dial (mine is a black waffle one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 850DB846-D6EC-48E6-8FD0-674102B60D05.jpeg (162.4 KB, 187 views)
NukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:35 PM   #16
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

A technical add on; yes a superoyster crown and lugholes on one side only.
Old 22 July 2018, 10:40 PM   #17
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMan View Post
They all start with the same three serial-number digits, hence the less than 1000 produced number. The odd thing is that most of them (that I’ve seen) have washed up in Sweden, so maybe a large batch was sent here back in the early 50’s, Sweden being relatively rich and untouched by the war? I absolutely love your white waffle dial (mine is a black waffle one).

Awesome watch! Wouldn’t mind having one with a black dial aswell to compliment my white one

Interesting that they turn up in Sweden of all places.

Have you serviced yours? In that case, where did you service it?

Old 22 July 2018, 10:48 PM   #18
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Wouldnt mind your white one as a great supplement (that was my first thought too)...

Nah, I havent serviced it, but it runs well. It too had its crown replaced so it would be great to bring it back to original. No good idea as of now though, who in Europe might be best suited to do it (dont want to send it overseas).
Old 22 July 2018, 10:59 PM   #19
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldnt mind your white one as a great supplement (that was my first thought too)...

Nah, I havent serviced it, but it runs well. It too had its crown replaced so it would be great to bring it back to original. No good idea as of now though, who in Europe might be best suited to do it (dont want to send it overseas).

Haha, yes this could turn into another addictive hobby I reckon.

Mine runs really well also, I’ve noticed.

Would be pretty cool to get them refitted with a SO crown :)

Old 25 July 2018, 01:52 AM   #20
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Came across this thread

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/lo...n-4026865.html

that claims "They were all built in 1 day and only 1000 of them were built. 1951 or 1952".

Anyone know if there's any substance to this claim?
Old 25 July 2018, 03:39 AM   #21
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

They all have the serial number 866xxx which ”validates” the <1000 number (well, until someone can display a 6024 with a different number. It is true for the 5-6 ones I’ve seen and I’ve been looking actively during five years now, all but one was in Sweden and only two had the waffle dial).
Old 25 July 2018, 05:10 AM   #22
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

Hi Anders, you need to clear some space on your inbox. It says you cant receive any messages due to limited space.
Old 25 July 2018, 05:12 AM   #23
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Anders, you need to clear some space on your inbox. It says you cant receive any messages due to limited space.

It’s been done, thank you :)

Old 4 January 2019, 12:37 AM   #24
O.E.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tommy, FYI

All 1000 pcs. 6024 in steel was produced in 1951 (July 11th);
all 12 pcs. 6024 in 18k YG and 12 pcs. in 14 k YG was produced in 1950 (July 15th);
all 40 pcs. 6024 in 10 k WG was produced in 1952 (August 29th);
and all 54 pcs. 6024 in 10 k YG with steel back was produced in 1952 (July 15th).

Hope it helps!
O.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 05:02 PM   #25
O.E.
"TRF" Member

BTW: mine was also found in Sweden....
O.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 07:35 AM   #26
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.E. View Post
Tommy, FYI

All 1000 pcs. 6024 in steel was produced in 1951 (July 11th);

all 12 pcs. 6024 in 18k YG and 12 pcs. in 14 k YG was produced in 1950 (July 15th);

all 40 pcs. 6024 in 10 k WG was produced in 1952 (August 29th);

and all 54 pcs. 6024 in 10 k YG with steel back was produced in 1952 (July 15th).

Hope it helps!

Great info, thanks!

Old 3 March 2019, 07:47 AM   #27
A.Petersson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.E. View Post
BTW: mine was also found in Sweden....

Find it very interesting that all, or at least close to all of them, turn up in Sweden.

Would be satisfying to know if there was a reason Rolex sent that perticular batch of watches to Sweden.