The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 February 2017, 06:04 PM   #151
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

to me the most suspicious thing is that he has an article right on hand explaining away this situation he says never happens. He wouldn't have that if he didn't need it on a regular basis to fend off customers who he refuses to respond to. This guy is more full of poop than a Christmas turkey.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 12:44 AM   #152
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

You need to post a pic of a pristine watch running within cosc when this saga concludes. What's clear is you will outlive us all given your balanced deamenor. I guess it's just a watch after all.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 12:51 AM   #153
woodsworth
"TRF" Member

Those memes, though... dying of laughter
woodsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 12:54 AM   #154
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
You need to post a pic of a pristine watch running within cosc when this saga concludes. What's clear is you will outlive us all given your balanced deamenor. I guess it's just a watch after all.
I certainly hope I'm still alive when this happens.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 02:56 AM   #155
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

The suspense is killing me
Tarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 05:00 AM   #156
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
The OP is far kinder than I. After 5 or 6 months and no returned phone calls I would have been outta there with my watch.. never to set foot in that establishment again. Being super busy and a huge backlog is no excuse for poor customer service. It sounds like *IF* he gets your watch done.. perhaps it will turn into a rush job and won't be done correctly.

For me.. I'll stick to RSC, thanks.
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 05:02 AM   #157
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
to me the most suspicious thing is that he has an article right on hand explaining away this situation he says never happens. He wouldn't have that if he didn't need it on a regular basis to fend off customers who he refuses to respond to.
this has me laughing.

look at this article from 1993, you see that is what the problem is.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 05:04 AM   #158
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
this is all i need to steer clear:

"Second update. (May 6th 2014)
First a few corrections, the Glashutte service was 700 dollars, not 500. Also, Kent's assistant and Kent contacted me today about my negative review.

First, Kent denied having worked on the Glashutte but anyone who wants can PM me their email and I'll forward them the email thread of our correspondence regarding that watch. Then Kent went on to describe his credentials in a private message (I know his credentials very well, which was the reason I'd gone to Kent in the first place).

After explaining to Kent that I'm simply describing the negative experience I had, he proceeded to complain that he had "not been given a second chance" with the watches. This is simply untrue for both cases. For the first watch, I had called Kent to complain about the abnormal rate after the overhaul as well as screw heads which had their slots slightly deformed but Kent said it was normal. For the MIH I'd sent Kent an email saying the issue had returned but it was never replied to.

Kent then went on to declare that "if" he had been given a second chance he would have corrected the issue and/or given me a refund. So I offered to provide evidence that the watches indeed weren't repaired properly, but then he reverted to complain that he wasn't given a second chance so it would be unfair to give me any refund. It seemed quite strange that initially he offered to correct the issue/give a refund but declared I had no evidence, but when evidence was available, he complained that he didn't get a chance to fix the watches again. I'm not sure about other collectors, but I wouldn't let someone who mucked up a repair by marring parts of the watch touch that watch again...

Regarding the strap which I was promised in 2 weeks but didn't hear about for a month and a half, Kent declared he was "too busy" to call. While that is perhaps a relevant and real reason, being busy is a very poor excuse for poor service.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to come to a resolution despite him asking me to remove this review so here it is. I'll be glad to give more details along with photos and email threads to anyone who may be curious or skeptical about my experience.

Update to my previous review:
I used to take my jobs to Kent for work, but I've stopped going altogether and here's why. I'll admit Kent is a really nice guy but his work does not seem to be up to par. First I had him service a Glashutte for over 500 (it was 700 dollars) dollars (full overhaul), when I got the watch back it was running fine if worn daily but if left for one day the rate would deviate greatly. I eventually got access to a timing machine and found the amplitude to be wildly below spec. I ended up trading the watch in and the watch had to be overhauled by a more competent watchmaker.

Thinking this may have been an isolated incident, I had a Valjoux 7750 based chronograph that wasn't resetting. So I gave it to kent who said he could "overhaul the Valjoux 7750's blindfolded." 3 hours and 100 dollars later the watch seemed to work again but a few days after the chronograph had the same issue. Additionally, there was dust on the dial and the seconds hand was marred (brass showing through the black coating). Since it was still under warranty the watch had to be sent back to Switzerland for a full overhaul.

Perhaps stupidly again I decided to order a strap through Kent (what could possibly go wrong, right?) I paid on the spot but three weeks later I had neither heard from Kent nor gotten the strap. I went back and got my money back, Kent was quite good about giving the refund.

I really want to like FSWR but with these three continuous poor and overpriced experiences over the course of 2 years I can't recommend the service. Sorry Kent...

My previous 4 star review from 11/24/2012

First of all Kent's a great guy and a certified master watchmaker as well as a Rolex certified technician which means he can get genuine Rolex parts. I wouldn't hesitate to have him service watches Rolex and below but I would highly recommend that you use manufacturer services for high end watches (VC, JLC, PP, AP).

His rates for mechanical service are reasonable but definitely not cheap like others have described. His location is very convenient and I continue to go to him for smaller jobs.

Cash and cheque only!"

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2017, 06:08 AM   #159
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
this is all i need to steer clear
Oy. In light of that, it seems another six months of Kent ignoring the OP's watch might indeed be the preferred outcome.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 12:09 PM   #160
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4467.jpg (23.4 KB, 622 views)
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2017, 12:19 PM   #161
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Crazy
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:17 AM   #162
marmalade1
"TRF" Member

Wow. A lively thread!

I realize I've been very generous in continuing to trust him to follow through.

Yes, I'd rather have gone to the RSC/AD 1st time; but that's easy to say now.

He seemed appropriately shocked to see that it had been that long, and I knew he'd prioritize after it being brought to his attention.

I'm obviously not going back though, and a now find myself believing the bad reviews regarding inpunctuality and I'm now seeing his indignant responses in a new light.

Him showing me the newspaper article defending his untimely sercice simply made me smile; pathetic.

It's Monday of the "promised" week... the suspense mounts.

I'll keep you posted.

PD
marmalade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:20 AM   #163
blue16613
Banned

Trust us...we'll be waiting! Eagerly!!
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:20 AM   #164
mactruck
"TRF" Member

mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 10:22 AM   #165
blue16613
Banned

OMG, you're killing me Mac!
Old 16 February 2017, 06:38 AM   #166
Bmorelli11
"TRF" Member

Any updates??
Bmorelli11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 11:14 PM   #167
mactruck
"TRF" Member

9th day

mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 11:29 PM   #168
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
So....let's say that what this proprietor says is true and he doesn't do watches out of order. He must have a GIGANTIC safe and a HUGE insurance policy if he is sitting on, say, six months of Rolex intakes.

I wonder how much of this is true?
Old 17 February 2017, 01:03 AM   #169
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Woah, what a thread! Having to wait 6 months is a lifetime...I have to agree with everyone, there is no way in hell that I would have left my watch with this guy. In fact I'd only ever use RSC when it comes to servicing time.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 02:30 AM   #170
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
9th day

Geeze Mac, I'm still laughing my tail off over the last one. You are KILLING me!!
Old 17 February 2017, 02:48 AM   #171
JacksonStone
Banned

Seinfeld Latex Salesman Meme.jpg
Old 17 February 2017, 02:57 AM   #172
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Seriously, I don't want this thread to end! I've not laughed so hard in years!
Thanks guys!

BTW, did I miss any updates from the OP? He's kind of become the "side show" but I'd still like to know how this folly ends.
Old 17 February 2017, 03:03 AM   #173
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
BTW, did I miss any updates from the OP? He's kind of become the "side show" but I'd still like to know how this folly ends.
No. Last we heard, he's still waiting. It was supposed to be done some time this week, and Kent is shipping it to OP. Assuming Kent has through tomorrow to fulfill his promise, assuming OP won't get any tracking sent to him via email, and assuming Kent won't answer his phone in the event OP calls to find out what is going on, OP wouldn't know for sure Kent hasn't made good until early next week, when there continues to be no watch on his doorstep. (And the can of worms that scenario opens promises to keep this thread going for quite a while.)
Old 17 February 2017, 03:05 AM   #174
blue16613
Banned

Quote:
No. Last we heard, he's still waiting. It was supposed to be done some time this week, and Kent is shipping it to OP. Assuming Kent has through tomorrow to fulfill his promise, assuming OP won't get any tracking sent to him via email, and assuming Kent won't answer his phone in the event OP calls to find out what is going on, OP wouldn't know for sure Kent hasn't made good until early next week, when there continues to be no watch on his doorstep. (And the can of worms that scenario opens promises to keep this thread going for quite a while.)
You just can't make this stuff up!!

Old 17 February 2017, 03:16 AM   #175
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Old 17 February 2017, 03:22 AM   #176
MonBK
Banned

MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:48 AM   #177
ugazag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Should this thread be moved to general discussion under "The Neverending Story"? Kidding. I really want to know what happens.
ugazag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 03:50 AM   #178
Yurigs
"TRF" Member

What's the update on this dudes watch?
Yurigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 04:13 AM   #179
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I believe it's been a week since the last "promise to complete" the service and return it to OP..........I need to know how this ends.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 06:12 AM   #180
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Anyone else want some popcorn?
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote