The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 August 2020, 11:35 AM   #1
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Assistance with a Rolex 6536/1

Hey guys,

GMThomas posted these images on the Vintage Rolex facebook page, and I suggested he make an account here, as he may get some assistance.

I'll let him give the full back ground, but essentially he inherited this watch from his father, and whilst wearing it he has lost the insert. He would like to find a replacement insert or similar, so he can continue to enjoy it.

Anyway, over to Mr Thomas for the full story, I've just helped him with posting the pictures etc.

The watch is a 1956 6536/1

Full size images - https://imgur.com/a/D4EeYbl

interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:11 PM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I surely hope the insert wasnt the original otherwise he lost about $10,000 worth of insert but judging by all of the service parts on the watch, most likely it was a newer service insert.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:14 PM   #3
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It wasn't. It wasn't even right for the model. I think it was a cut down 16610 insert.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:25 PM   #4
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
It wasn't. It wasn't even right for the model. I think it was a cut down 16610 insert.

Yeah pretty sure you're right.
Old 4 August 2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
With a missing insert, wrong bracelet, later hands, and (perhaps most crucially) a later dial, is it really a 6536/1 at all? (I know, I know, cue story of the Ship of Theseus)
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:09 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Ship of theseus, nice reference. Boyd coddington got into some legal trouble for this issue. It’s a good topic that helps you appreciate originality.
For the OP, it’s a nice watch for what it is. I would go with an aftermarket insert that fits the bezel and enjoy it for what it is.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:31 PM   #7
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Ship of theseus, nice reference. Boyd coddington got into some legal trouble for this issue. It’s a good topic that helps you appreciate originality.
For the OP, it’s a nice watch for what it is. I would go with an aftermarket insert that fits the bezel and enjoy it for what it is.
I like this idea - I'm just waiting for the actual owner to chime in. To him it seems that it's his dads watch, and that's what makes it special, not the bezel or the dial etc.
Old 5 August 2020, 12:41 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I really enjoy watches that are beatup. There is never concern for damage, so they add an element of enjoyment lost on rare original models. Yay, my 1675 is now super valuable and she sits in a bank. This is what I said when I turned the key in vault.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 12:55 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Great looking watch, I'd wear it.

Can't help with the insert though.
Old 6 August 2020, 04:06 AM   #10
GMThomas
"TRF" Member

My Dad got this 1956 Rolex Submariner after almost dying in a diving incident while in the Navy in the South Pacific. Mom went to the Navel dispensary and bought it for $150.00. Dad wore this til the day he died in 2016. The watch went to me and unfortunately I wore it in memory of Dad and boom, lost the bezel/ Insert! I have been heart broken over it and am very motivated to find a vintage Bezel/ Insert. If anyone can give suggestions on how to fond the missing parts to my Dads watch I would be so thankful!!
However after hearing how unoriginal the watch is sounds like I should just enjoy it as is! The bracelet is the same one Dad always had since I was young. (I'm 61.) The watch was worn by him as plus the insert for almost 60 years. Good enough for me!
GMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 12:32 AM   #11
Woody
"TRF" Member

I think it is a really nice watch, the fact that it is not all "original" makes little difference to me - the sentimental attachment is the key. If this was mine then I would likely have the bracelet refurbished (if you search on this forum you will find some options to consider) and have the watch serviced by an independent watchmaker in your locality (there should be some good options in Australia). Whilst having the watch serviced I would ask them to source and fit a suitable bezel ring and insert (it doesn't have to be "period correct" which will cost you small fortune.....if you can locate one). You could then wear this on a NATO band until you receive your bracelet back. All then good to go for many years to come
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 02:07 PM   #12
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMThomas View Post
My Dad got this 1956 Rolex Submariner after almost dying in a diving incident while in the Navy in the South Pacific. Mom went to the Navel dispensary and bought it for $150.00. Dad wore this til the day he died in 2016. The watch went to me and unfortunately I wore it in memory of Dad and boom, lost the bezel/ Insert! I have been heart broken over it and am very motivated to find a vintage Bezel/ Insert. If anyone can give suggestions on how to fond the missing parts to my Dads watch I would be so thankful!!
However after hearing how unoriginal the watch is sounds like I should just enjoy it as is! The bracelet is the same one Dad always had since I was young. (I'm 61.) The watch was worn by him as plus the insert for almost 60 years. Good enough for me!
I would suggest you join Vintage Rolex Forum , owned by Eric Ku they have a market place for parts the inserts do come along but they are very few and far between
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote