The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 May 2020, 03:15 AM   #1
yoast
"TRF" Member

Independant Dress Watch: Ophion vs Lundis Bleus vs Sartory Billard

Ok so I'm looking to add a dress or semi dress watch to my collection. I never really wear dress watches but I think they are beautiful and would like to add something that doesn't break the bank and still is a bit special.

I have narrowed it down to the following 3 brands:
Ophion
Sartory Billard
Lundis Bleus

All of them are more or less priced similar and between 2500 and 4000 usd.
The models I am looking at are -

Ophion:
Ophion OPH 786 Vélos Blue Guilloche (EUR 2950,-)
http://www.ophion-watches.com/order-...-plus-shipping

What I like: Dial, Dial color, Breguet numerals, lugs, Case made by Voutilainen

Lundis Bleus:
Royal blue with enamel dial (CHF 4092,-)
https://lundis-bleus.com/en/produit/...al-blue-black/

What I like: Dial made of enamel mostly. Not too keen on the large outer track and the sellita movement at this price range

Sartory Billard:
SB04 with Meteorite Dial (EUR 2500,-)
https://sartory-billard.com/en/sb04-...-lume-indexes/

What I like: Dial made of meteorite - never owned a meteorite dial watch before and feels sorta special. Also like the case.

SB04 with blue Titanium dial (EUR 2700,-)
https://sartory-billard.com/en/sb04-...titanium-dial/
The company is mostly known for this dial and apparently has to be appreciated in person. Is said to be like FP Journe chronometre bleu.

What I like: the blue dial. Not too keen on the numerals but can be customized so would change those to the same as above meteorite watch.
https://sartory-billard.com/en/sb04-...titanium-dial/

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 23 May 2020, 04:04 AM   #2
christianj
Banned

I've been following Sartory Billard recently on IG and the watches are intriguing. Might be a bit demure for you based on the ones you posted but have you looked at Staudt out of the Netherlands? https://www.staudt-twenthe.com/
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 09:43 PM   #3
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I have the Ophion on order, and should arrive soon. So that was my first choice. I made the choice mostly because of the look, but also because I think it has everything - dial, movement, case, all the best quality at the price point. Both the lundis bleus and sartory are beautiful watches, but with slightly boring movements.

That said I'm really eyeing the sartory billard. I think the dial is really good looking, and I enjoy how Armand is very open about his work and lets you customize a good amount of the dial. I'd definitely go for the blued titanium dial though. If a meteorite dial is what you're after you can pick up a Zelos for a lot less money.

Lundis bleus seem like really quality watches too, with true grand feu enamel that is only rivaled by anOrdain at the price point. I just don't think the watches have that special something that the sartory and ophion has, so this would be last on my list.

It's all up to personal taste though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those watches. They are all really high up there in the independant/micro market, and really above most smaller brands if you ask me.
En_nissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:00 AM   #4
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I have the Ophion on order, and should arrive soon. So that was my first choice. I made the choice mostly because of the look, but also because I think it has everything - dial, movement, case, all the best quality at the price point. Both the lundis bleus and sartory are beautiful watches, but with slightly boring movements.

That said I'm really eyeing the sartory billard. I think the dial is really good looking, and I enjoy how Armand is very open about his work and lets you customize a good amount of the dial. I'd definitely go for the blued titanium dial though. If a meteorite dial is what you're after you can pick up a Zelos for a lot less money.

Lundis bleus seem like really quality watches too, with true grand feu enamel that is only rivaled by anOrdain at the price point. I just don't think the watches have that special something that the sartory and ophion has, so this would be last on my list.

It's all up to personal taste though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those watches. They are all really high up there in the independant/micro market, and really above most smaller brands if you ask me.
Old 26 May 2020, 02:32 AM   #5
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I've been following Sartory Billard recently on IG and the watches are intriguing. Might be a bit demure for you based on the ones you posted but have you looked at Staudt out of the Netherlands? https://www.staudt-twenthe.com/
Yes, I know of them, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post

I agree and am very curious about the ophion. Please post some pics when you get it!
Thanks
Old 26 May 2020, 05:58 AM   #6
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this thread. I've been looking at Ophion and Sartory myself but hadn't heard of Lundis Bleus. Their watches look amazing.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #7
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I tried on the Lundis and was very impressed.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=Lundis
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #8
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I tried on the Lundis and was very impressed.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ghlight=Lundis
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:48 PM   #9
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I'll be sure to post pictures and opinions on the Ophion once I get it! Should be in about a week or so.
Old 11 June 2020, 08:16 PM   #10
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

I finally got the Ophion yesterday, and I am really loving it. It's definitely worth the price, and it has so much attention to detail. It seems like everything has been thought of, and I can't find any elements that aren't completely exceptional.
... That is except for the buckle on the strap. It's a very very standard tang buckle without even branding on. A bit of a shame to spare money on such a detail at this price point, even if it is a minor thing. I'm being told the founder is working on a proper buckle, so hopefully that will be available (and standard) soon.

I'm more of a lurker on this forum, so I can't figure out how to share pictures. I've made a mini review of the watch on an appropriately titled thread on the watchuseek forum, with plenty of pictures.
Old 12 June 2020, 01:24 AM   #11
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I finally got the Ophion yesterday, and I am really loving it. It's definitely worth the price, and it has so much attention to detail. It seems like everything has been thought of, and I can't find any elements that aren't completely exceptional.
... That is except for the buckle on the strap. It's a very very standard tang buckle without even branding on. A bit of a shame to spare money on such a detail at this price point, even if it is a minor thing. I'm being told the founder is working on a proper buckle, so hopefully that will be available (and standard) soon.

I'm more of a lurker on this forum, so I can't figure out how to share pictures. I've made a mini review of the watch on an appropriately titled thread on the watchuseek forum, with plenty of pictures.
Thanks for the update! You can add pics with the Tapatalk app. I’ll have a look at the other forum. Tnx
Old 4 July 2020, 09:15 PM   #12
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

Anyone made the jump to the sartory billard? Each time I see that lovely blued titanium dial, I'm so tempted to get it. It looks very good, and I like how all of the dial components are hand made/finished.
Old 4 July 2020, 09:30 PM   #13
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Based purely on aesthetics, the Sartory by a mile.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 02:04 AM   #14
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone made the jump to the sartory billard? Each time I see that lovely blued titanium dial, I'm so tempted to get it. It looks very good, and I like how all of the dial components are hand made/finished.
I haven't been able to buy anything yet as I am still stuck on an island.
Old 5 July 2020, 04:39 PM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Based purely on aesthetics, the Sartory by a mile.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:26 PM   #16
En_nissen
"TRF" Member

Sartory Billard is coming out with a tantalum case, which is pretty cool and rare to see.

There aren't any pictures of the finished case yet, but this is the case outline rough cut.
Old 6 August 2020, 12:00 AM   #17
monsters
"TRF" Member

My vote goes to the Ophion. Best looking movement with a case from Kari's factory.

The SB04 reminds me a little bit of the Ming 17 series, but not as well executed.
monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 07:10 PM   #18
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Incoming

Ophion Velos
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCA88B06-30E5-44C6-9A10-4953262009F1.jpeg (68.9 KB, 158 views)
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2020, 05:37 PM   #19
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sartory Billard is coming out with a tantalum case, which is pretty cool and rare to see.

There aren't any pictures of the finished case yet, but this is the case outline rough cut.
I'm curious to see the end result..

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsters View Post
My vote goes to the Ophion. Best looking movement with a case from Kari's factory.

The SB04 reminds me a little bit of the Ming 17 series, but not as well executed.
I'm also gravitating towards the Ophion, but decided to wait it out for the Ming Mosaic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Ophion Velos
Awesome! Congrats!
Old 28 August 2020, 05:43 PM   #20
dunedc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Ophion Velos
This is a nice Option
dunedc is offline   Reply With Quote