The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2022, 05:46 AM   #31
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

The GS lineup has some stunning watches. I’m not a fan of their diver watches but the OP watch is very nice. I’m not sure I love the Spring Drive meter. Kind of ruins the dial IMO. I have seen a watch with that on the back and that makes great sense. Enjoy!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 06:44 AM   #32
mfserge
Banned

Watch: YM40 Rhodium
This is equivalent to being in the market for a five bedroom home with a full finished basement and a built in pool on a cul de sac and settling for a ranch on a postage stamp size lot with a flooding basement, a slip in slide in the yard along a major thru-street. No thanks.
mfserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2022, 08:38 AM   #33
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Whatever you say baller…

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfserge View Post
This is equivalent to being in the market for a five bedroom home with a full finished basement and a built in pool on a cul de sac and settling for a ranch on a postage stamp size lot with a flooding basement, a slip in slide in the yard along a major thru-street. No thanks.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:01 AM   #34
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I like that dial.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:14 AM   #35
bp1000
"TRF" Member

GS GMT is out of this world nice

As is yours OP.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:19 AM   #36
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch, but I find that if you're truly seeking something specific, buying an alternate is only a temporary fix.
Rolexforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:23 AM   #37
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In your opinion. The finishing on these watches is better than every rolex. Frankly they are on par with patek and possibly close to Lange on the case, dial and hands. Look at them under a loupe and you’ll see.

A grand seiko is virtually flawless up close and completely free of distortion.

They are bargain watches for what they are. But I suspect you don’t appreciate the finer intrinsic details, like your house analogy you just want to be seen with the obvious big house and luxury brand on the wrist.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:35 AM   #38
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations!

Great dial color, texture.

Outstanding mirror polished finish on the hands and markers.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 01:39 AM   #39
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Not to be antagonistic, but since when are we entitled to own everything when we want it. Is that a milennial thing, an American thing, a baby boomer things or what. We all think that since we have th emoney to purchase whatever we want, that it will automatically be there when we want it. I personally do not have a problem with waiting for what I want. I do own a Grand Seiko, and appreciated getting it when I wanted to, but I also appreciate the waiting game - getting on the list and having to wait. In light of what is happening in Ukraine, (not to turn this political) I sense we have gotten skewed expectations.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 02:03 AM   #40
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
Not to be antagonistic, but since when are we entitled to own everything when we want it. Is that a milennial thing, an American thing, a baby boomer things or what. We all think that since we have th emoney to purchase whatever we want, that it will automatically be there when we want it. I personally do not have a problem with waiting for what I want. I do own a Grand Seiko, and appreciated getting it when I wanted to, but I also appreciate the waiting game - getting on the list and having to wait. In light of what is happening in Ukraine, (not to turn this political) I sense we have gotten skewed expectations.

It’s definitely not a baby boomer or America thing. That’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 05:54 AM   #41
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Very Nice
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 06:39 AM   #42
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post

Just venture out and find another brand to love! My first Grand Seiko but definitely not my last! I spent some time looking at it under a loupe and comparing it to my 116500, and let’s just say that everything I’ve read about the quality of finishing that GS has is beyond my expectation. There are a lot of excellent watches out there that you can just walk into a store, fall in love with, and take home the same day. Isn’t that what this hobby should really be about?
glad for you, but I wouldn’t put any money on a GS.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 06:47 AM   #43
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
One of my favorite GS watches. Congrats! Beautiful watch
Old 7 March 2022, 06:51 AM   #44
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Veruca was a boomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Veruca.jpeg (77.2 KB, 83 views)
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2022, 07:34 AM   #45
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Very nice.
Old 7 March 2022, 08:26 AM   #46
ArtieFufkinPolymer
"TRF" Member

Why is this post in the GS / Seiko section when it should be in the Rolex section!
ArtieFufkinPolymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2022, 04:44 AM   #47
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No sense in trying to debate with this type of opinion. Their minds made up and that is totally fine. Many people buy for the brand name written on the watch and that is just fine too.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2022, 05:01 AM   #48
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It’s definitely not a baby boomer or America thing. That’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a people thing, every generation and every country that I have met people from. People want what they want.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2022, 10:59 AM   #49
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

"Looks nice but doesn’t scratch the itch for Rolex if that’s what you want, IMO."

Where I live we can have a Seiko and a Rolex. My Day Date is a fine watch but I have to be careful where I wear it. Gold is a soft metal but some people will do not nice thing to get their hands on it.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2022, 11:25 AM   #50
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I see what you did there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieFufkinPolymer View Post
Why is this post in the GS / Seiko section when it should be in the Rolex section!
Old 10 March 2022, 11:30 AM   #51
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Good point and oddly exactly why I bought it. I’m going to a former even in Mexico City in a few weeks and the only truly formal piece I have is a DD36. I’m guessing running around MX City wearing that is a suicide mission and I’m not going to leave it in my hotel. Rolex is just far too obvious a target, and even a Tudor is risky simply because they look so much like a Rolex. It gave me a great excuse to get a new watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochronous View Post
"Looks nice but doesn’t scratch the itch for Rolex if that’s what you want, IMO."

Where I live we can have a Seiko and a Rolex. My Day Date is a fine watch but I have to be careful where I wear it. Gold is a soft metal but some people will do not nice thing to get their hands on it.