The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2023, 05:00 AM   #1
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Speedy Moonwatch cal 3861 configuration

Hesalite or Sapphire sandwich? Have seen both in person, but it has been a bit since I did. No chance to walk into a store that has Omega where I live, and I'm gathering intel prior to making purchase.

Picking up a MoonSwatch this summer is what has moved me to this. I've never been much of a chronograph person - have had three (Seamaster Pro Planet Ocean chrono - the huge 45.5 mm hunk, IWC 3717 Pilot Chrono silver dial Spitfire version, and IWC 3714 - the Portugieser with creamy white dial and YG hands and markers) and sold them all. Well, I got this MoonSwatch this summer, have worn it daily for a month and decided I needed a real Moonwatch. This watch fits and wears on my wrist as comfortably and appropriately on my 6.75"/170 mm wrist as any sports or tool watch I've ever had, even my 5-digit Rolex models and Tudor BB 58.

Wondering if there are any owners on here of the current iteration (cal. 3861 from 2021 and later) of either the Hesalite or Sapphire version willing to share thoughts on one vs the other? Don't really care about the price difference. Have seen both in person, and the only thing that gives me pause at all is the polished detail of the small side center links as opposed to the all brushed bracelet on the Hesalite version - I know it is to match the polished applied brand mark on the dial that is unique to the sapphire version - but not sure how long term I would like it. I don't really care about dealing with an acrylic crystal - not afraid of Polywatch and a polishing cloth, but I like the exhibition back on the sapphire and the sapphire is a hair less thick. Almost all of the watches I own have sapphire glass, so I'm used to that look and feel.

Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 06:38 AM   #2
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Me, I prefer the sapphire for the applied logo etc as well. I think it’s just slightly more interesting than the hesalite. I also prefer sapphire on my watches so there is that. I find the bracelet with a bit of polish nicer also. That would be the one for me.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 07:21 AM   #3
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Speedy Moonwatch cal 3861 configuration

A bit of bling is not a sin I own a sapphire, currently I wear it on an Omega Rally strap.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 12:44 PM   #4
JC316
"TRF" Member

Sapphire, for greater durability and open caseback.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

I was in the same boat, went for a sapphire and couldn't be happier.

With the previous generation hesalite had sense, being "flight qualified by NASA" but the new one is not.
Omega did the same tests, but not NASA, so you lose that romantic and historic advantage, then you might as well get the more durable one where you won't have to polish the crystal out every now and then.

I have a couple acrylic crystal watches and although they look cool, they REALLY scratch very easily, and sometimes that's annoying.

My Amphibia got to the point where it affected legibility and although yes, you can polish it out, you don't make it "like new"

Additional bonus is the view of the movement which is spectacular to look at, even under macro

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 12:57 AM   #6
zi464
"TRF" Member

I still love my 1861 with acrylic crystal which give me more vintage vibe , might get a 3861 with sapphire later on.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 03:19 AM   #7
john64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
I purchase a 3861 Speedy on Hesalite on 17th June. I had been looking and researching for a while but hadn’t made up my mind about Sapphire or Hesalite. Also the display back is a consideration.

I went with an open mind, and after trying on the SS on bracelet and the Hesalite on the nylon strap, I went for the Hesalite version. It felt right for me, but others may well come to a different choice.

Maybe that’s the only way to decide ?

Anyway, not regretted my choice one bit, and the truth is that it’s a fabulous watch whatever configuration you get.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2023-6-25-113101.jpeg (218.3 KB, 116 views)
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 3861 (Hesalite), Christopher Ward C60 #tide, 1964 Omega Seamaster Deville Automatic,Mathey-Tissot GMT Pepsi,Bremont Airco Mach 2, Rolex DateJust 41 Model : 126300 White Dial Roman Jubilee, Omega SeaMaster DIVER 300M Commander's Watch 212.32.41.20.04.001,Tudor Black Bay Blue 79220B, Omega SeaMaster Diver 300M 212.30.41.20.01.003, Rolex SubC 114060, Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Diver BN0100-51E
john64 is offline   Reply With Quote