The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23 September 2022, 03:10 AM   #121
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M. View Post
Climate Science.

The science that sells carbon credits and bloated bureaucrats line their pockets with the proceeds.
Science sells nothing, and pointing and laughing is not going to make global heating go away.

Nature cannot be fooled by PR, as Feynman observed.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:15 AM   #122
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
In 50 years you’ll be dead? What a shame. And you accuse me of supporting third world slavery and destroying the planet, because I am buying an EV. Of course, you are a perfect human and the race is grateful for your existence (I literally laughed out loud). I don’t need to argue with something like you, it’s a waste of time. Inevitably EVs (or Hydrogen, or ?) WILL replace gasoline cars, time will prove me right. What will you say then? You will blame EV drivers for… oh, I don’t know, sun spots? Probably. What a waste of oxygen.
Ill be 100. If I'm not dead I'll likely wish I was.

You obviously do not know anything about where or how cobalt is mined. Do some research if you actually care.

The largest lithium mine is being opened in Texas. They are going to strip mine and pump in the most toxic chemicals known to man into the ground literally turning a part of Texas into a superfund ( ie toxic wasteland ) site.

Nobody is " taking up " for gasoline powered cars. Nobody.

What I posted in context to you is you are not helping at all. I will continuously argue that you in fact are hurting much, much worse. I do not have the answer to this whole problem but I am against EV's on so many levels.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:16 AM   #123
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Science sells nothing, and pointing and laughing is not going to make global heating go away.

Careful what you wish for. The next ice age will solve the warming problem, though Europe was not a fun place for people during the last one (I'm sure the ski resorts will be happy).
Old 23 September 2022, 03:23 AM   #124
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

This is worth a look, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1E8SQde5rk
Old 23 September 2022, 03:23 AM   #125
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

What ever happened to live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse?

----

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

-- Hunter S. Thompson
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:38 AM   #126
Vince M.
Banned

Quote:

I think we first need to break down which science we are believing in.

Are we listening to the same science that says a man can be a woman ?

I live on a glacier lake. About 250,000 years ago my house was under a slab of ice a mile thick and a thousand miles long. Literally carved a 100' deep lake out of the earth. Now, its a beautiful green paradise that often see's 100* in the summer time.

Damn you global warming thousands of years ago !

The Earth is at least a million years old but likely a few billion years old ( we can only guess )

Since creation, the earth has cooled and warmed, flooded and dried, thousands of times. We DO know that by core samplings, carbon dating, etc.

Humans have accurately recorded the earths temperature for how long ? Maybe 100 years ?

How much warmer has the earth gotten in that time ? 1/1000th of a degree ?

If Mount St. Helens erupted it is speculated by scientists it will billow out more toxic pollution than a thousand years of the worst pollution mankind could ever dream to emit.

How many volcanoes have erupted in our planets history ?

How come the earth is not a toxic wasteland because of this ?

The earth knows how to deal with pollution.

Humble yourself in front of this planet.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:51 AM   #127
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
What ever happened to live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse?

----

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

-- Hunter S. Thompson

I’m out here doing my part.

Old 23 September 2022, 03:57 AM   #128
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Ill be 100. If I'm not dead I'll likely wish I was.

You obviously do not know anything about where or how cobalt is mined. Do some research if you actually care.

The largest lithium mine is being opened in Texas. They are going to strip mine and pump in the most toxic chemicals known to man into the ground literally turning a part of Texas into a superfund ( ie toxic wasteland ) site.

Nobody is " taking up " for gasoline powered cars. Nobody.

What I posted in context to you is you are not helping at all. I will continuously argue that you in fact are hurting much, much worse. I do not have the answer to this whole problem but I am against EV's on so many levels.
Well then don’t buy one. I am, in the next couple months. I’ll be sure to post pics in a thread on here so you can congratulate me. By the way, more Americans are buying EVs, the number is still small, around 5%, but that number is accelerating and according to Bloomberg at a “tipping point” where they will become mainstream. Welcome to the future, it is EVs. I’ll drive mine because I believe it is hurting the planet less then that diesel truck you do. There are a lot smarter people then me or you that say it is, and since it will be the norm soon, I choose to accept it (granted, there ARE issues to be overcome). Tell me again how I am promoting slavery again? Do you own any clothes created in a third world country? Yeah, probably.
Attached Images
File Type: png FF9806FD-48B9-42AF-BC77-6EE6827C58E6.png (224.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 23 September 2022, 04:03 AM   #129
binArt
Banned

Quote:

What I posted in context to you is you are not helping at all.... .
Quote:

I’ll be sure to post pics in a thread on here so you can congratulate me....
So, how long have you two been married?
Old 23 September 2022, 04:17 AM   #130
binArt
Banned

The science of the grid:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-022-01105-7
Old 23 September 2022, 04:22 AM   #131
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The issue many have is that climate science is often conflated with climate opinion.

Objective data that measures temperatures, sea levels, etc is clearly science. This is indisputable.

The extent to which humans are responsible is not science, it's opinion. It's impossible to measure with any scientific validity.

Predictions about what will happen in the future is not even remotely science, it's also opinion. These predictions have been wrong far more often than they have been right. This issue is why many, including myself, are more than skeptical.

Suggested courses of action to take to alleviate the issue is also opinion.

There are also other issues that I can't discuss due to forum rules, but they are also present.

Just as there are groups out there spouting propaganda about climate change denial, there are also groups with a vested interest (financial and otherwise) that spout propaganda supporting climate change. Asking a climate scientist if it's a crisis is like asking a bartender if it's time to drink. The answer will always be yes.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:23 AM   #132
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by binArt View Post
I have to admit, that one made me chuckle
Old 23 September 2022, 04:28 AM   #133
Vince M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by binArt View Post
Long enough that neither of us are getting any.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:30 AM   #134
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
The issue many have is that climate science is often conflated with climate opinion.

Objective data that measures temperatures, sea levels, etc is clearly science. This is indisputable.

The extent to which humans are responsible is not science, it's opinion. It's impossible to measure with any scientific validity.

Predictions about what will happen in the future is not even remotely science, it's also opinion. These predictions have been wrong far more often than they have been right. This issue is why many, including myself, are more than skeptical.

There are also other issues that I can't discuss due to forum rules, but they are also present.

Just as there are groups out there spouting propaganda about climate change denial, there are also groups with a vested interest (financial and otherwise) that spout propaganda supporting climate change. Asking a climate scientist if it's a crisis is like asking a bartender if it's time to drink. The answer will always be yes.
Best post....
Old 23 September 2022, 04:33 AM   #135
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post

Very well stated, and no one can argue with this logic. My only (semi) counter point would be why I choose to believe we humans are accelerating the process. It is the Rate at which the climate is warming. I think that first reliable temperature records were started in the middle of the 19th century(?), let’s say 1850 ish. The rate at which the climate has warmed seems to be speeding up concurrent with the increased CO2 we are putting in the atmosphere. Could this be coincidence? And the warming process be exactly the same if we were not and had not pumped CO2 in to the air? I guess it is possible, I am not a scientist so can’t give an informed decision, but from what I do know, the span of 150-200 years in a planet’s lifetime is not even a blink of an eye. I think that if this were a completely natural process, the transition of warming would take a lot longer, like a thousand or thousands of years, not a couple centuries. The ice age took thousands (maybe tens of thousands?) of years to form and withdraw, it seems rather incredible that such a drastic change as we have seen over the last couple hundred years could be 100% natural.

Anyway, that is why I choose to believe it, but you are correct, there is no way to know for 100% certainty and with the exception of the facts that temperatures are climbing, everything else is conjecture.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:34 AM   #136
Vince M.
Banned

Quote:
Tell me again how I am promoting slavery again?
https://blog.strive2thrive.earth/chi...-mining-congo/

One of the main ingredients to building an EV battery is cobalt. Yes, you in fact buying a Tesla does help perpetuate slavery. Fun fact, Elon Musk is opening a cobalt quarry in South America that will likely use slave labor for its dangerous and toxic procurement.

Quote:
Do you own any clothes created in a third world country? Yeah, probably.
No.

I also am not advocating to be " helping " either.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:42 AM   #137
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
https://blog.strive2thrive.earth/chi...-mining-congo/

One of the main ingredients to building an EV battery is cobalt. Yes, you in fact buying a Tesla does help perpetuate slavery. Fun fact, Elon Musk is opening a cobalt quarry in South America that will likely use slave labor for its dangerous and toxic procurement.

No.

I also am not advocating to be " helping " either.
Well, if it will make you sleep better tonight… I am not buying a Tesla. I am buying another manufacture EV. Which one? You’ll see when I post the thread.

Now that must make you feel better.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:44 AM   #138
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m out here doing my part.
Where's the popcorn!!!
Old 23 September 2022, 04:45 AM   #139
Vince M.
Banned

Quote:

Anyway, that is why I choose to believe it, but you are correct, there is no way to know for 100% certainty and with the exception of the facts that temperatures are climbing, everything else is conjecture.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/wo...ecadaltemp.php

1940 - Now looks like 0.5 degrees. What is the accuracy of that ?

The graphs make it look quite alarming. I am sure they spent a lot of time on that.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:49 AM   #140
Vince M.
Banned

Quote:
Well, if it will make you sleep better tonight… I am not buying a Tesla. I am buying another manufacture EV. Which one? You’ll see when I post the thread.

Sorry, I have been using Tesla when talking about EV's like someone uses Kleenex when talking about tissues.

Again, I really don't care about what's going on in Africa or anywhere else in general. I just wanted to let you know that you're hurting the earth and kids on other continents.

Good news is you'll save some money on transportation. More Rolex money !

Old 23 September 2022, 05:03 AM   #141
binArt
Banned

Quote:

You have heard of blood diamonds? The metals for our current EV technology are often mined in regions where human life is meaningless in the face of the cash value of the minerals. You will have blood on your hands buying and promoting current EV technology, just as you would a blood diamond.

I hope you feel better.
Closed Thread