The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2011, 07:43 AM   #1
blackmsport
Banned

Car Servicing Costs

I had my BMW E90 serviced yesterday at BM Autowerks an independentt BMW service centre

at 26,000km it needs an oil service and microfilter change

BMW southbank quoted me $350+

BM Autowerks did oil service for $173 plus he sold me a a microfiletr for $50 and I am replacing it myself (10 min job)

all up $223 a saving from $350+

Last month I had my BMW e87 brake pads replaced, BMW dealer quoted me $700+, parts alone they quoted $550 (pads and sensors)

Bought pads and sensors through BMWpartsonline.com.au $269 plus $120 labour at BM Autowerks.... again $300+ saving

BMW dealership will rip you off everyway they can, if you must go to BM dealer use them for labour only (Union & Government regulated $80 per hour), buy parts somewhere else and bring your own parts
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 07:46 AM   #2
rolexpawn
Banned

Watch: my Rolex(s)
The economy is bad right now, I am having to do repairs on my own high maintenance vehicle that the dealer will not cover under the extended warranty.
rolexpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
I am having front pads/rotors and sensors replaced on my daily driver E38 tomorrow. Price pout the door is $630.00.

$173 for an oil service sounds a bit high without knowing what all they do. An oil service is more involved than just an "oil change".

If your E90 only has 26,000 km on it...shouldn't it be covered under the new car warranty and maintenance agreement? It's 4 years or 50,000 miles here in the USA.
Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 08:01 AM   #4
blackmsport
Banned

3 years 100,000km here

BMW oil... you can't buy their oil anywhere unless you buy 1 litre pack x 5 = $109 at BM dealership
Old 12 July 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Bmw's cost to much to maintain, My buddy has a 06 750il ,and just paid 450$ to get his left window fixed. The motor died in the door along with some wire that got tangled up . I am happy to have Lexus with parts I get at cost :D Bmw's are awesome cars just not when they are out of warranty.
Old 12 July 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I had a 1994 5 series a few years ago and I mostly used independent BMW mechanics to work on my car for the better hourly rates while getting the same type of work and OEM parts.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Newportkrieger
Banned

My observations after 25 years of BMW ownership;

1) Once the car is off warranty always take it to a reputable independent repair shop. This becomes more difficult as the cars become more computerized and technology driven ESP the idrive system.
2) All the new BMW's do not need mechanics anymore to fix them, the dealer repair bays are filled with "replacement parts technicians" who simply replace parts the car itself tells them are bad.
3) All these modular systems are very expensive to replace and can not simply be fixed any more.
4) Anyone around BMW over the years knows that the first year or two of a new model is part of BMW's "in the field" quality control as BMW releases the new models knowing all the bugs are not worked out the systems.
5) in talking to friends with high end Japanese and American cars, the cost of "part replacement" is not that different anymore as the other car makers have
increased the technology and sophistication in their products as well.
6) I personally would not own any BMW made after 2006 once it is off warranty and with the drive was never invented.
7) BMW's lifetime fill on transmissions and it's new dipstick less engines are a recipe for disaster. Anyone owning a "lifetime fill" automatic transmission needs to have it serviced between 75,000 and 90,000 mi if the do not want to replace the transmission before 130,000 mi.
8) it's interesting that the "lifetime fill" concept came about once BMW started offering free regular maintenance during the warranty period. Something that came about once BMW started owning all the cars as their high purchase prices resulted in a rapid growth in cars being leased from the dealer instead of outright purchased. This way BMW is able to be sure the cars they own as lessor are maintained by the book to preserve residual value once the car is turned in.
Old 12 July 2011, 10:35 AM   #8
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I do a mix of working on my BMW and taking it to the dealership. As a BMWCCA member, I get 10% off and I also have a good relationship with my service advisor and the dealership so pricing is about the same as an indy or better.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I had my Toyota Highlander Ltd. V6 AWD serviced last week, at the Toyota dealer, minor service....OFL, tires rotated, general check...etc., etc.
US$152.15 out the door.
Old 12 July 2011, 11:03 AM   #10
jasonclark

I would not own a German car if my brother didn't work at a dealership. Too hard to a lot of maintenance/repairs on yourself, and too expensive to pay for someone else to do it. I would certainly go Japanese if I didn't have a "hook up," but for now, I'm happy with what I've got. Unless the tranny or something similar goes out!
jasonclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 11:14 AM   #11
rainman_16
"TRF" Member

Watch: Al Jazeera English
I have never taken my Acura in for servicing since buying it new in '97 because like any other dealer, they rape you on labour and especially parts. Thankfully my Acura is relatively simple to work on especially with the factory service manual in hand.

I've taken my '02 Silverado in to the dealer for two things since I bought it new; replace water pump and a u-joint in the driveline. I couldn't be bothered doing them myself and figured I'd get the dealer to do it since I've already done all the engine oil and tranny fluid changes, replace two power windows, one power mirror, rear leaf springs and shocks and most recently replaced the serpentine and AC belts along with the f/r brake pads and rotors.

My motivation is knowing that the work is done correctly including proper torquing of all fasteners, and to save money for more important things like enjoying fine Cuban cigars after a job well done
rainman_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 11:21 AM   #12
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Back in the 90's I took my Lincoln (just out of warranty, of course!) to the dealer to see why the engine was running a little rough (I could actually tell it was running - lol).

$1,800 later, I had a new main gasket seal. They bent me over good. Now I carry lifetime drivetrain insurance.
Old 12 July 2011, 11:25 AM   #13
blackmsport
Banned

If you think BMW is difficult to service, try the French.... Conventional is not a word in French dictionary
Old 12 July 2011, 01:02 PM   #14
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
@Newportkrieger, interesting post. I went German for the first time with a 335i and my warranty is coming to an end soon. I will either trade the car or buy an extended warranty, either thru BMW or an independent product that my local Bavarian repair shop recommends. I love this car, but the cost of continuing to own concerns me more than a little.

Question: what did you mean by "I personally would not own any BMW made after 2006 once it is off warranty and with the drive was never invented?"
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 01:09 PM   #15
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmsport View Post
I had my BMW E90 serviced yesterday at BM Autowerks an independentt BMW service centre

BM Autowerks did oil service for $173 plus he sold me a a microfiletr for $50 and I am replacing it myself (10 min job)

Last month I had my BMW e87 brake pads replaced, BMW dealer quoted me $700+, parts alone they quoted $550 (pads and sensors)

Bought pads and sensors through BMWpartsonline.com.au $269 plus $120 labour at BM Autowerks.... again $300+ saving

BMW dealership will rip you off everyway they can, if you must go to BM dealer use them for labour only (Union & Government regulated $80 per hour), buy parts somewhere else and bring your own parts
I'm curious what oil was used? Sounds to cheap to have the correct type used. Not sure where you got your $80.00/hour figure from. Most dealer are around the $140-150 mark
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 02:05 PM   #16
blackmsport
Banned

Castrol LL01 for BMW
they can get a big barrell for $4-$5 a litre.... they can get one for me but.... what do I do with the barrel after one oil change.....

BMW will charge $250 for an oil service as they have to cover the cost of making you a coffee on arrival and drop you back at work in an X5
Old 12 July 2011, 03:10 PM   #17
PSG1 Nut
"TRF" Member

Close to 2.5k after parts and labor to change brake pads, flush fluid and replace the brake pad wear sensors on a 996.
Old 12 July 2011, 03:26 PM   #18
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Castrol LL01 for BMW
they can get a big barrell for $4-$5 a litre.... they can get one for me but.... what do I do with the barrel after one oil change.....

BMW will charge $250 for an oil service as they have to cover the cost of making you a coffee on arrival and drop you back at work in an X5
you should see that MBZ does and charges...
Old 12 July 2011, 06:03 PM   #19
colpol
"TRF" Member

About 10 years ago I got well & truely shafted on a kawasaki motorcycle service along with 2 tyres. It was so expensive I had to put a credit card down. Later I called & spoke to the manager saying the bill was astronomical & would he do something about it. He refused & I said I wouldn't darken his door again which I didn't. I'd been a "use the dealer" guy for anything up to that point but bought myself a Clymer workshop manual for £19.99 & 6 months later my local autoshop were doing a filter & oil deal for £20 !! Did the service myself for a fraction of the time. The funny thing was - in the garage, with some rock music playing, cup of tea, doing the work myself - actually enjoyed doing the work.

My current car - I got an intro to a mechanic a few years back who works in a mainline peugeot dealership who only stays 10 min's away from me. He does all my work now. Gets a discount on the parts plus does the work for "mates rates".
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I bring my e92 to BMW ,cost me a lot- specially I half the recommended service intervals- and I know exactly the sum I can save in case of using independent guys.But it s the cost of ownership and give me the peace of mind that these ppl are trained by BMW for BMW,using the the same tools and software as the manufacturer in Munchen.

3Litre biturbo

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 06:30 PM   #21
Passionata
"TRF" Member

i m with you in some points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
My observations after 25 years of BMW ownership;

1) Once the car is off warranty always take it to a reputable independent repair shop. This becomes more difficult as the cars become more computerized and technology driven ESP the idrive system.

TRUE
2) All the new BMW's do not need mechanics anymore to fix them, the dealer repair bays are filled with "replacement parts technicians" who simply replace parts the car itself tells them are bad.

Yes but also the parts are engineered so ,man can blame the factory rather the the mechanics
3) All these modular systems are very expensive to replace and can not simply be fixed any more.
comparing to other manufacturers the prices are doable,certain parts are much cheaper for my BMW335xi than my Mitsubishi Evo
4) Anyone around BMW over the years knows that the first year or two of a new model is part of BMW's "in the field" quality control as BMW releases the new models knowing all the bugs are not worked out the systems.
Well those cars are built for performance not for durablity.

6) I personally would not own any BMW made after 2006 once it is off warranty and with the drive was never invented.
?
7) BMW's lifetime fill on transmissions and it's new dipstick less engines are a recipe for disaster. Anyone owning a "lifetime fill" automatic transmission needs to have it serviced between 75,000 and 90,000 mi if the do not want to replace the transmission before 130,000 mi.
True ,lifetime fill is BS, you should change the fluid regularly in transmission ,transfer case,differential
best

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 12 July 2011, 09:26 PM   #22
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Castrol LL01 for BMW

LL01 costs me double that and I buy in bulk , 300-400 Lt at a time
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 09:45 PM   #23
93 Turbo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex.Tudor.PAM
A friend of ours dropped a ring down the centre consul of her Audi A5X soft road thingy. $390.00 AUS later they retrieved the ring.

Outside of leased periods my vehicles go to a trusted independent for servicing. Saves me big $.
93 Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 10:08 PM   #24
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Some one has to pay for all the HPFP recalls.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 11:10 PM   #25
Passionata
"TRF" Member

and all the other problems too , but let me to help in your sarcasm ,just write any carmaker and the word problem in google , you gonna surprised pal.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 12 July 2011, 11:14 PM   #26
ejell
"TRF" Member

I have found my Maserati Spyder to be the most efficient way for me to transfer all of my money to mechanics, even without going back to the dealership.
ejell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 11:43 PM   #27
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Ford F-150 oil change + filter=16.99USD,free labor at Raf's garage.

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2011, 11:54 PM   #28
BenDiem
"TRF" Member

Watch: out 4 motorcycles!
LOL...

Yep, would have to agree w/Newportkrieger.

I've owned several BMWs, and I've always traded them in b/4 the warranty period is up.

BMWs are great drivers (read:performance/handling) cars. I've always had electronic glitches with all of my Bimmers...

At the end of the day, I'd rather drive/own a great handling car over a more reliable, less dynamic automobile, than a Bimmer.

I coined the following term for my beloved Bimmers, Big Money Worries (BMW) Its all good though
BenDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 04:44 AM   #29
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Welcome to the world of European vehicle ownership !! You wanna play ? You will definitely pay !!
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2011, 05:42 AM   #30
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Official Porsche Centre oil/filter/brake fluid service for Boxster GB£650 (US$1,000). Indy Porsche specialist less than half that.
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote