The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21 September 2022, 08:12 AM   #61
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
This thread has gone WAY off the rails but here is my take on the current state of the human race discussion it has become.

At times, I am disgusted and dejected about our future. Take your pick on subjects, global warming, pollution, social degradation. Seriously, I think: “Boy am I glad I am going to die (relatively) soon.”

At others though, I am encourage by man’s resourcefulness and ability to strive for a better future. I read an article about China and other countries reclaiming desert by planting trees and making the soil viable again. There are others about breakthroughs in nuclear fusion, which (in my opinion) is the holy grail about our energy needs, and others about renewable energy advances that offer a clean power future.

So…. Is the glass half empty or half full?
Hear hear
Old 21 September 2022, 11:41 AM   #62
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Godzilla?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 21 September 2022, 12:38 PM   #63
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Don't know, but my father used to say way back many decades ago when the earth gets tired of us, it will shake us off to protect itself. Increasingly I think he may be onto something.
Old 21 September 2022, 10:39 PM   #64
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Russia?
Old 21 September 2022, 11:41 PM   #65
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Is it impossible for these "folks" to be correct?

Anyway, I'd rather trust science than folklore....
What science is that ? Political science ? LOL

Core earth science is only speculative science. We as humans only actually know what the earth is like 40,000 feet down ( well the Russians do ) which is nothing. 70% of our oceans are un explored. We emit CO2 and the Earth has never been greener.

This rock has been moving and shaking for billions of years. Long before a pickup truck farted out the tailpipe. Its going to continue to to move and shake long after every human perishes from this planet as well.
Old 21 September 2022, 11:49 PM   #66
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
If you’re worried about CO2 plant more trees. Many many more. The reason there seems to be so much earthquake activity is there haven’t been significant (at least newsworthy) big quakes in a while.
We are one super volcano eruption or nuclear war away from complete annihilation.

Meanwhile the greenies are about to turn half the state of Texas into a toxic waste superfund site strip mining for lithium. If you drive an electric car, punch yourself in the face.
Old 22 September 2022, 12:14 AM   #67
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by binArt View Post
You say franks and beans, I say brats and beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
darn. thats a good one.
It's tough to beat brats and beer. Especially with some mustard and kraut.
Old 22 September 2022, 02:46 AM   #68
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Gojira?
FINALLY... a post that absolutely makes perfect sense!
Old 22 September 2022, 03:19 AM   #69
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M. View Post
We are one super volcano eruption or nuclear war away from complete annihilation.

Meanwhile the greenies are about to turn half the state of Texas into a toxic waste superfund site strip mining for lithium. If you drive an electric car, punch yourself in the face.
The “Greenies” ? Gee, I don’t think I have ever been referred to as a “Greeny” So, because I am buying an electric car I should punch myself in the face… Yeah, I’ll get right on that. Meanwhile, you just keep fooling yourself in thinking that big truck you drive that gets 6 miles to the gallon and spews out black smoke is NOT hurting the environment.
Old 22 September 2022, 03:39 AM   #70
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
The “Greenies” ? Gee, I don’t think I have ever been referred to as a “Greeny” So, because I am buying an electric car I should punch myself in the face… Yeah, I’ll get right on that. Meanwhile, you just keep fooling yourself in thinking that big truck you drive that gets 6 miles to the gallon and spews out black smoke is NOT hurting the environment.
And you don’t think that 747 that flew 15 minutes each way last week to vote a primary that could’ve been MAILED in doesn’t hurt the environment?
Old 22 September 2022, 03:48 AM   #71
binArt
Banned

Watch: 16600
Quote:
The big truck is probably getting about 15 mpg, a little better economy than some of the high end sports cars on the car thread.

The lithium metal production is not at all environmentally friendly. It's a nasty business. Trading one kind of nasty for another is not the solution. We need a better battery.
Old 22 September 2022, 04:04 AM   #72
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I remember when “global warming” as a concept, before the name was changed to climate change, first started to be a thing, around the time Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth came out in 2006 and was being discussed by the public.

The oil and gas industry hired the same PR firms that the Tobacco Industry had used to discredit the fact that their companies were manipulating their products to get people hooked and that they caused cancer.

Soon on all the talk shows came the stream of talking points about Global Warming was “incomplete science” not proven etc etc . There were seminars all over the country, teaching people how use the talking points.

Now 15 years later we are seeing the predictions Gore and others were talking about, coming true.

The same groups are attacking electric cars using the same tactics.

The bottom line is we have to start doing something and fast. We’ll make some mistakes, and we’ll have some great successes but allowing coal and oil to keep pushing the problem down the road to milk as much profit as they can will have dire consequences.
Old 22 September 2022, 04:31 AM   #73
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
And you don’t think that 747 that flew 15 minutes each way last week to vote a primary that could’ve been MAILED in doesn’t hurt the environment?
Of course it does! When did I say anything about a 747?

Here, you can have this back, I don’t want it n:
Old 22 September 2022, 04:43 AM   #74
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
It's tough to beat brats and beer. Especially with some mustard and kraut.
Yummy.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 22 September 2022, 04:44 AM   #75
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I wonder if it has anything to do with all the recent and coming asteroids. One of the asteroids will be the size equivalent to the Ha Penny Bridge in Ireland. The one that took out the dinosaurs was city-sized.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroid-wa...ive-approaches
Old 22 September 2022, 05:00 AM   #76
binArt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I remember when “global warming” as a concept, before the name was changed to climate change, first started to be a thing, around the time Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth came out in 2006 and was being discussed by the public.

The oil and gas industry hired the same PR firms that the Tobacco Industry had used to discredit the fact that their companies were manipulating their products to get people hooked and that they caused cancer.

Soon on all the talk shows came the stream of talking points about Global Warming was “incomplete science” not proven etc etc . There were seminars all over the country, teaching people how use the talking points.

Now 15 years later we are seeing the predictions Gore and others were talking about, coming true.

The same groups are attacking electric cars using the same tactics.

The bottom line is we have to start doing something and fast. We’ll make some mistakes, and we’ll have some great successes but allowing coal and oil to keep pushing the problem down the road to milk as much profit as they can will have dire consequences.
They stopped calling it global warming because not being in an ice age was not a good sell, whereas "climate crisis" sells. The planet has been warming since the last glacial maximum, about 20,000 years ago. It's been warming fast for about 11,000 years. Sea levels rose 400 feet before modern industrialization started pumping out CO2. The planet will stay much warmer than the last ice age until the next ice age.

I contend that anything that's been going on for over 10,000 years is not an emergency that we need to jump on right now.
Old 22 September 2022, 05:07 AM   #77
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
They stopped calling it global warming because not being in an ice age was not a good sell, whereas "climate crisis" sells. The planet has been warming since the last glacial maximum, about 20,000 years ago. It's been warming fast for about 11,000 years. Sea levels rose 400 feet before modern industrialization started pumping out CO2. The planet will stay much warmer than the last ice age until the next ice age.

I contend that anything that's been going on for over 10,000 years is not an emergency that we need to jump on right now.
So we should not invest in cleaner methods of obtaining energy, solar, wind, geothermal, etc. We should just continue to burn fossil fuels as our primary energy source, regardless of air pollution and other consequences. Is that what you’re saying?
Old 22 September 2022, 05:11 AM   #78
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it does! When did I say anything about a 747?

Here, you can have this back, I don’t want it n:
Isnt it all relative?
Old 22 September 2022, 05:15 AM   #79
binArt
Banned

Quote:
So we should not invest in cleaner methods of obtaining energy, solar, wind, geothermal, etc. We should just continue to burn fossil fuels as our primary energy source, regardless of air pollution and other consequences. Is that what you’re saying?
We should not cripple our economy to tilt at windmills. Replacing fossil fuels requires technology and infrastructure we do not have. The strategy to drive up the cost of energy to force a change increases the suffering of the poor without increasing the pace of improvements. It's an inhumane and unethical approach.

The US and Europe have very strict pollution control laws, and industry is very clean compared to the Asian continent. Shutting down industry here does not improve conditions there, it only imparts pain and suffering on the people who have invested and sacrificed the most to improve the environment.
Old 22 September 2022, 05:20 AM   #80
Mifune
Banned

here is your main protagonist... nothing else even comes close

Old 22 September 2022, 05:27 AM   #81
binArt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
here is your main protagonist... nothing else even comes close
If it's not the heat it's the gravity. The sun is a bad man.
Old 22 September 2022, 05:35 AM   #82
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I think the future is extremely efficient solar panels. They will be smart panels with microchips and convert energy at an exponential rate with highly efficient/lossless storage. I wonder how long it will take us to get there. We'll be disconnected at the electrical grid, but more connected in the technical grid with enough power to power any tech at the household level.

We'll move out of the age of using fuels/energy into the age of creating energy. It will be another industrial revolution.
Old 22 September 2022, 06:01 AM   #83
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
Isnt it all relative?
No…. What am I missing? I was defending my purchasing an electric vehicle, how does that equate to my support of the wasted use of a 747 and thousands of gallons of fuel?

Quote:
We should not cripple our economy to tilt at windmills. Replacing fossil fuels requires technology and infrastructure we do not have. The strategy to drive up the cost of energy to force a change increases the suffering of the poor without increasing the pace of improvements. It's an inhumane and unethical approach.

The US and Europe have very strict pollution control laws, and industry is very clean compared to the Asian continent. Shutting down industry here does not improve conditions there, it only imparts pain and suffering on the people who have invested and sacrificed the most to improve the environment.
Fair enough, and your point could be valid. I personally don’t believe that, my evidence is the rate of increasing planet average temperature since the mid 1800s, roughly equivalent to the industrial revolution. IMHO, the CO2 we have added to the atmosphere has accelerated the warming of the planet. I don’t disagree with you, that we are in a warming trend which is natural for the planet, but I believe we humans have accelerated and exasperated the process. So I believe it is necessary to stress the economy and break away from our oil-based energy as soon as possible, but I admit to not being a scientist. As to the economy, I have faith in our ability to adjust. For example, look at when we transitioned from Horses to automobiles, there was a plethora of problems to be overcome. There were a number of industries that suffered, the horse trade, the feed trade, the carriage and saddle trade, but we transitioned to an oil-based automobile. I believe we will do the same with EVs (or Hydrogen or other non-oil fuel). I am buying an EV. I expect to get about 100MPGE, which more then doubles my current Hybrid. I think I am helping, so, I am buying an EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I think the future is extremely efficient solar panels. They will be smart panels with microchips and convert energy at an exponential rate with highly efficient/lossless storage. I wonder how long it will take us to get there. We'll be disconnected at the electrical grid, but more connected in the technical grid with enough power to power any tech at the household level.

We'll move out of the age of using fuels/energy into the age of creating energy. It will be another industrial revolution.
You may very well be right, I look forward to this revolution!
Old 22 September 2022, 06:01 AM   #84
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Can't we just shove the moon a teeny tiny bit this or that way to reduce tides, etc? I mean, it's just a tiny little thing really.

As for the Minor Star we call the Sun... good luck there.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 22 September 2022, 06:03 AM   #85
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Can't we just shove the moon a teeny tiny bit this or that way to reduce tides, etc? I mean, it's just a tiny little thing really.
Remember the TV series from the 80s, “Space 1999?”
Old 22 September 2022, 06:04 AM   #86
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Remember the TV series from the 80s, “Space 1999?”
Remember???? I've been watching it recently.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 22 September 2022, 06:07 AM   #87
binArt
Banned

Quote:
. So I believe it is necessary to stress the economy and break away from our oil-based energy as soon as possible, but I admit to not being a scientist.
The rich never feel the impact. But this crushes the poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

As for the Minor Star we call the Sun... good luck there.
Patio umbrellas... millions of patio umbrellas floating between earth and sun.
Old 22 September 2022, 07:45 AM   #88
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No…. What am I missing? I was defending my purchasing an electric vehicle, how does that equate to my support of the wasted use of a 747 and thousands of gallons of fuel?

Fair enough, and your point could be valid. I personally don’t believe that, my evidence is the rate of increasing planet average temperature since the mid 1800s, roughly equivalent to the industrial revolution. IMHO, the CO2 we have added to the atmosphere has accelerated the warming of the planet. I don’t disagree with you, that we are in a warming trend which is natural for the planet, but I believe we humans have accelerated and exasperated the process. So I believe it is necessary to stress the economy and break away from our oil-based energy as soon as possible, but I admit to not being a scientist. As to the economy, I have faith in our ability to adjust. For example, look at when we transitioned from Horses to automobiles, there was a plethora of problems to be overcome. There were a number of industries that suffered, the horse trade, the feed trade, the carriage and saddle trade, but we transitioned to an oil-based automobile. I believe we will do the same with EVs (or Hydrogen or other non-oil fuel). I am buying an EV. I expect to get about 100MPGE, which more then doubles my current Hybrid. I think I am helping, so, I am buying an EV.

You may very well be right, I look forward to this revolution!
It’s relevant when you mention big trucks spewing black smoke.
Old 22 September 2022, 09:35 AM   #89
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Patio umbrellas... millions of patio umbrellas floating between earth and sun.
Didn't the Simpsons Burns stop the sun? Surely his idea worked.

Old 22 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #90
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
whats the deal with all the LARGE earthquakes recently

Quote:

I would love a Tesla and if I didn’t have a company car I’d probably own one. But I would own one for the tech features- I think it’s a cool techy car.

Is it really that better for the environment over a gas vehicle though? Serious question. Please educate me. For example, isn’t your electric vehicle battery built in China powered by coal? What happens to those batteries in 10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread