The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 April 2017, 03:44 AM   #1
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Serial number engraving reference

Can anyone point me to a reference regarding serial number etching or engraving differences?

I was looking at a late 1803 - unfamiliar seller.

The serial number seemed odd - so i pulled a handful of similar dated watches from solid dealers for comparison.

The results were wildly different. Some images seemed to resemble those within a 100,000 serial number range - but similar, hardly exactly the same.

I'm sure this has been discussed - but I can't find any threads.

thanks
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 10:51 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You question is too general. Other than posting pictures of the watch or link in the Watchout section, I would recommend searching for the same model and very near serial range.. A good source with pics is the HQMilton site..
Good luck.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2017, 11:45 PM   #3
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
You question is too general. Other than posting pictures of the watch or link in the Watchout section, I would recommend searching for the same model and very near serial range.. A good source with pics is the HQMilton site..
Good luck.
Sorry - but that's what I did. I found similar watches from Eric Ku, HQ, Sheartime. The font and alignment of 1803 and REGISTERED DESIGN were not consistent. And I don't believe for a minute that any of the watches weren't genuine...just that the engraving back then was not as cookie-cutter as people seem to think.

I thought I had seen threads like this before...I was hoping someone else had the links
Old 29 April 2017, 11:54 PM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The best way to try to get an answer would be to post photos of the watch/engraving in question. Without that it's hard to comment.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 01:06 AM   #5
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The best way to try to get an answer would be to post photos of the watch/engraving in question. Without that it's hard to comment.
I'm not questioning the authenticity- I'm more interested in whether there are "official standards" regarding the engraving

I have trouble posting the correct photo formats from my phone - and I have a few pictures for comparison...so I'll try to put it together when I have more time
Old 30 April 2017, 06:28 AM   #6
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

I'm looking forward to the pics. There are I'm told, variation in engraving fonts. With even an AD in Manila known to re-engrave as normal service practice (source: VRF)

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 06:10 AM   #7
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Here are the 1803's I used for comparison - most in the early 5 million, but a few others thrown in as well

In order:

(1) 5,0xx,xxx
(2) 5,1xx,xxx
(3) 5,1xx,xxx buckley
(4) 5,2xx,xxx
(5) 5,25x,xxx
(6) 2,5xx,xxx
(7) 3,5xx,xxx
(8) 5,2xx,xxx

The first and the third are the most consistent, but the second is not considering the relatively close serial #s. The 4th+5th feel close as well - along with the last one - but the 1 starts later.

Mostly i just got very confused in trying to compare.

Again - these are from the top dealers - and the watches were all beautiful versions...and the thread is NOT AT ALL meant to cast doubts on the sellers.

The questions is all about whether they are CORRECT hard and fast rules about the case engravings going back to the 70s.

thanks.

[apologies for not being able to put the serial number near the photo]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5,0xx,xxx.jpg (36.4 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 5,1xx,xxx.jpg (27.9 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 5,1xx,xxx buckley.jpg (42.4 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg 5,2xx,xxx.jpg (42.4 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 5,25x,xxx.jpg (24.9 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg 2,5xx,xxx.jpg (25.1 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 3,5xx,xxx.jpg (29.9 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg 5,2xx,xxx rose.jpg (46.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 23 August 2017, 06:17 PM   #8
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
This is a great question that got no answer.

I have seen a lot of variations on fonts. I love how you posted them. This is a question that I have had for years. I have looked like a fool looking at serial numbers and thinking I knew what was real and what wasn't.

Facts are that for years rolex watchmakers would, on service, re etch the serial number after cleaning the cases and buffing. It was a practice I was told continued till recently. Now I hear that if they can't make out your serial number the put a service number on the back to ID the watch and then add it to their computer system. Don't know if that is true or just what my local Rolex dealer told me.

I brought a 16800 and I was convinced by looking at the serial number that it was fake. The 9's looked odd as hell and the 8's too. I went back, because it wasn't an authorized Rolex dealer that sold it to me and told them they sold me a fake because all the pictures I saw on the internet looked different. They told me to take it and get an appraisal for Rolex to add it to my insurance and that they would pay for it if it was a fake. I did just that. I walked into my local authorized Rolex dealer and told them I needed an appraisal of my watch to put on my home insurance. I had to leave the watch and a few days later got a call that it was done. They hit me over the head for $200 dollars for the time and inspection but they also as a courtesy, cleaned it and buffed out my band.

So again this is an amazing question and I would love for others to chime in. Why is there such a variety of fonts and looks to Rolex serial numbers. Is it because they are "Hand made". I know now they probably have some fancy laser printing the numbers now, but I can look at my 16613 from 2003 and and it looks better but still not what I would expect and see on some Rolexes where they look like they are machine done perfectly.
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:08 PM   #9
occb2
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Here is a great post showing what I should had read instead of accusing the poor guy of ripping me off. My serial number look so much like these.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...engraving+look
occb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:37 PM   #10
Charles Underwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occb2 View Post
Now I hear that if they can't make out your serial number the put a service number on the back to ID the watch and then add it to their computer system. Don't know if that is true or just what my local Rolex dealer told me.
Well i can back this up.
I have a old PCG GMT with the serial number completely worn off.
I told the family(second owners it belonged to their grandfather who passed away) that i wanted to buy it, but i was not happy with the serial all gone.
So the family decided, after a couple of letters with RSC, to get the watch authenticated by RSC.
RSC authenticated the watch in a very simple manner. On the caseback there is an engravement of the name of the grandfather and they use that name to officially identify the watch.
So on the official RSC paper is no serial number instead in its place the name of the engravement is filled in.
Charles Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 07:17 AM   #11
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Very interesting threads. Thank you for sharing!
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Funny nobody mentions that vintage Rolex's "hand engravings" were made by a pantograph, this according to my Official Rolex watchmaker.

Any minute slack on the pantograph linkages will be hugely amplified at the actual #.

That would explain why some numbers are not perfectly aligned on the case's engraving and might be different from each other.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote