The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Seamaster Deep Black

I'm not an Omega fan; my bestie at home has a few and I have to be honest and say that I don't really like any of the ones he has. However, since seeing Dave (DCheeta) sporting a Deep Black in this sub-forum a few months ago, I've been looking at it more and more. It's really blown my right skirt up.

I've read more times than I care to remember that Omegas are usually better bought pre-loved because the prices don't fare too well in the used market.

I can pick one up from an AD here, brand new, at 20% discount. Is that a good price or is it worth waiting for them to filter onto the used market?

I'm picking up another Panerai next month so I'm in no rush

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:05 PM   #2
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Like you Paul, I have been drawing to Omega as of late. I feel they are underrated and as a Rolex guy, I didn't truly appreciate them until having played around with a couple in the OB.

Can't really answer your question per say, but with even a 20% discount, I'm assuming it is already setting up to have a lower resale value. Regardless, the deep black is very cool and if you focus on the technical specs, it is quite amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Like you Paul, I have been drawing to Omega as of late. I feel they are underrated and as a Rolex guy, I didn't truly appreciate them until having played around with a couple in the OB.

Can't really answer your question per say, but with even a 20% discount, I'm assuming it is already setting up to have a lower resale value. Regardless, the deep black is very cool and if you focus on the technical specs, it is quite amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's a great looking piece and I'm unlikely to get bored of it, as I am with my BLNR. Thing is, as you say John, with a 20% discount straight off the bat it's almost certainly going to take a beating in the resale market. I can't help thinking it would make a more interesting replacement for my BLNR; as much as I love the SkyD, I'm concerned it might be too blingy for my taste

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 8 June 2017, 01:41 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Hey Paul,

It's a fantastic watch, as you've probably heard me say already. It's funny - I tend to think of it as being overpriced at full retail, but when you compare it to other ceramic sport watches on the market it is actually pretty fairly priced.

I know your penchant for Panerai, and I think you would feel right at home with the 45mm size of the Deep Black. It wears extremely comfortably. If you can get to an Omega boutique and strap one on I think you will love it.

Regarding resale pricing, I haven't seen any on the used market yet, but like other ceramic Omegas (e.g. DSOTM) I think it will be available at quite a discount on the secondary market. In fact, I know you're not in the States and as such do not have easy access to the TRF sellers, but I have seen brand new ones for sale here for about a 35% off MSRP. I think you'll be able to pick one up for a decent price.

Happy hunting, and keep us posted!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Hey Paul,

It's a fantastic watch, as you've probably heard me say already. It's funny - I tend to think of it as being overpriced at full retail, but when you compare it to other ceramic sport watches on the market it is actually pretty fairly priced.

I know your penchant for Panerai, and I think you would feel right at home with the 45mm size of the Deep Black. It wears extremely comfortably. If you can get to an Omega boutique and strap one on I think you will love it.

Regarding resale pricing, I haven't seen any on the used market yet, but like other ceramic Omegas (e.g. DSOTM) I think it will be available at quite a discount on the secondary market. In fact, I know you're not in the States and as such do not have easy access to the TRF sellers, but I have seen brand new ones for sale here for about a 35% off MSRP. I think you'll be able to pick one up for a decent price.

Happy hunting, and keep us posted!
Hey Dave,

35% off MSRP? Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for the heads-up

As I live in Singapore, I could actually work with a TRF trusted seller because the Singapore $ to the US $ is fairly steady and I wouldn't get hammered like I would if I was back in the UK. I've actually been in contact with a TS on a prospective purchase so the transaction could be easily done.

What's the US MSRP on this, can you remember?

Food for thought, my friend, food for thought

Old 8 June 2017, 02:30 PM   #6
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Hey Dave,

35% off MSRP? Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for the heads-up

As I live in Singapore, I could actually work with a TRF trusted seller because the Singapore $ to the US $ is fairly steady and I wouldn't get hammered like I would if I was back in the UK. I've actually been in contact with a TS on a prospective purchase so the transaction could be easily done.

What's the US MSRP on this, can you remember?

Food for thought, my friend, food for thought
I think MSRP here in the US is $12,000. I'll send you a PM regarding a trusted seller here who I think might be able to hook you up.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote