The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2017, 01:04 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
New 5960's

What do we think of the 2 new 5960's? I kinda like the bkue dial on strap, if I was looking for a cool chrono with AC I would definitely consider it. Anyone wanting to take the plunge on one?

Just wonder how will prices hold as we know they haven't been great on the other 5960's, but for an interesting Patek with complications, at a reasonable price, it is quite in a hard range to beat

IMG_0388.PNG

IMG_0389.PNG

IMG_0390.PNG
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like the blue one. The non stock photos online look much better
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 01:31 PM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

If I wanted a blue dialed 5960 I'd go with the 5960P. That release just baffles me by Patek; it's the equivalent of the steel skydweller with white dial...

The 5960 1a with black dial is a nice change of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2017, 04:42 PM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The blue dial of the 5960G looks lighter than the 5960P blue dial in pictures. It would be nice to know if the difference is noticeable in person. Someone mentioned the difference in the pushers and the crown between the G and P, which may be another way to distinguish the two. The chrono dials also look different as well as the red seconds hand and the seconds marker railroad track.

If you compare the 5146G slate dial and the 5146P, the dial color looks very similar, although there is enough of a difference noticed by an astute observer. However the different hour markers give away the difference.

Patek often makes similar WG and Platinum versions and it takes an astute observer to notice the different metal.

The pricing of the 5960G is competitive, although pre-owned 5960P blue dial prices are reasonable as well.

I have always felt the 5960 and 5905 were too thick for my wrist. However there is definitely a market for those who prefer a hefty watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 04:55 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Of course the blue 5960P is nicely priced, but I suppose the difference with this one once used will be very big, also I heard the 5960P was a little too top heavy, the WG is surely easier to wear, in any case it's a model I really appreciate
Old 5 April 2017, 05:48 PM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Its obvious that the 5524 is not selling as you cant see them anywhere. So they had hundreds of these straps around and no watches...voila....a new 5960.

A watch I never glanced at due to the bracelet but now I think is a huge improvement
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 10:42 PM   #7
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
In terms of bang per buck for complications on a Patek it's hard to beat the 5960, I love mine.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 12:42 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Its obvious that the 5524 is not selling as you cant see them anywhere. So they had hundreds of these straps around and no watches...voila....a new 5960.

A watch I never glanced at due to the bracelet but now I think is a huge improvement
Exactly my thoughts I was wondering where they were getting the brown straps, but you hit it on the head, they take the straps from the 5524's they can't sell and put them on the new 5960's

I am not in the market for a chrono with AC in WG, but if I was I think it would be a really hard piece not to look at, anyone know the pricing on that one? I would imagine around 55K? It looks really fresh and sporty, and I must say that I didn't look at the SS counterpart because of the bracelet, but the WG is really cool
Old 6 April 2017, 01:34 AM   #9
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I like the black one. And the platinums.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 03:27 AM   #10
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
I like the 5960 series in general - AC, chrono and power reserve. But, for this gold version, something wrong to me, maybe the strap color and/or red hands. I need to see it at a different strap and in person. The price point is good though.

archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 04:44 AM   #11
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I prefer my original white one...it's a great piece!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 05:02 AM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Not better than a Daytona -i obviously mean the old one not the ceramic-.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 09:41 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Not better than a Daytona -i obviously mean the old one not the ceramic-.
Really George? To be honest I am not a big fan of Daytonas, the one I am getting is the C but am giving it to my wife, but for me can't colpare the 2, here you have AC and PR, not to mention see through back, whole different league IMHO
Old 7 April 2017, 04:46 PM   #14
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Really George? To be honest I am not a big fan of Daytonas, the one I am getting is the C but am giving it to my wife, but for me can't colpare the 2, here you have AC and PR, not to mention see through back, whole different league IMHO

Best chrono ever made by PP?the 5070,no ac no pr just 2 subdials ,sometimes the less is more ,much much more.
I ve totally lost interest in Rolexes since they produce it with bathroom tiles ,the whole line reminding me for a low end seiko range in a Thailand souvenir shop.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 7 April 2017, 06:48 PM   #15
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
Best chrono ever made by PP?the 5070,no ac no pr just 2 subdials ,sometimes the less is more ,much much more.
I ve totally lost interest in Rolexes since they produce it with bathroom tiles ,the whole line reminding me for a low end seiko range in a Thailand souvenir shop.
Haha George I agree with you there...
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 07:22 PM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah that's quite true, I lost interest in Rolex since I started buying high end watches with unparalelled comfort, plus I can't say the idea of people seeing my watch and either thinking how to bash my head in or thinking "wow another guy who bought a fake Rolex" are 2 things I love. Much happier wearing watches where maybe 0,01% people will know what watch it is, you do pay for exclusivity, and AP and PP are clearly about that for a big part, if they were as recognizable as Rolex I'm not sure I would have one, but luckily it should take some time before people know what they look like
Old 7 April 2017, 07:31 PM   #17
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
yeah that's quite true, I lost interest in Rolex since I started buying high end watches with unparalelled comfort, plus I can't say the idea of people seeing my watch and either thinking how to bash my head in or thinking "wow another guy who bought a fake Rolex" are 2 things I love. Much happier wearing watches where maybe 0,01% people will know what watch it is, you do pay for exclusivity, and AP and PP are clearly about that for a big part, if they were as recognizable as Rolex I'm not sure I would have one, but luckily it should take some time before people know what they look like
well , I still enjoy my old babies the glorious five digit references and the marvelous 116520 with the 4130 , i think we all looking for different values on watches and considering different features as pro or cons but the most important that we all can discuss these matters in a friendly manner , which makes the athmosphere quite relaxing around.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 8 April 2017, 01:36 AM   #18
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I like the 5960 series in general - AC, chrono and power reserve. But, for this gold version, something wrong to me, maybe the strap color and/or red hands. I need to see it at a different strap and in person. The price point is good though.

I must admit seeing the actual photos of 5960g, it seems better. One thing I did not get though - the discountinued 5960r was retailing for usd 80k, if I am not wrong and this new white gold version is chf 58k. Why so much difference?
A pre-owned 5960r is usd 50 thereabouts and a new 5960g can be bought at usd 50-55k, I think same calible, slight difference at subdial layout and I prefer the latter, does it make sense to buy a 5960r in this case when u hv new g version?

Old 9 April 2017, 03:03 AM   #19
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I must admit seeing the actual photos of 5960g, it seems better. One thing I did not get though - the discountinued 5960r was retailing for usd 80k, if I am not wrong and this new white gold version is chf 58k. Why so much difference?
A pre-owned 5960r is usd 50 thereabouts and a new 5960g can be bought at usd 50-55k, I think same calible, slight difference at subdial layout and I prefer the latter, does it make sense to buy a 5960r in this case when u hv new g version?

Design is quite different. Sub dial arrangement, hands. I prefer the original models. Something too technical about the new WG version.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 10:46 AM   #20
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Patek waking up to market reality on pricing? The black dial 5960p had a much lower retail price than the blue and grey platinum versions in markets like HK so maybe the same approach applies with the G pricing vs the R pricing.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2017, 09:46 PM   #21
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Patek waking up to market reality on pricing? The black dial 5960p had a much lower retail price than the blue and grey platinum versions in markets like HK so maybe the same approach applies with the G pricing vs the R pricing.

I think this is the point.
Btw, I will be in HKG a month later and any suggestions on where to look around for some reliable shops - new and pre-owned are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
Design is quite different. Sub dial arrangement, hands. I prefer the original models. Something too technical about the new WG version.

I will compare side by side but more important I need to see the new one in flesh.

instagram kdrk75
Old 22 June 2017, 06:25 AM   #22
archer75
"TRF" Member

Has anyone had the white gold version with blue dial?