The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 April 2017, 05:47 PM   #61
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Not sure I agree with all of this. Rolex releasing an updated model, fair enough, I get that.

As for used values? No, not having that. Have you seen how much the new 671 is going for?

Also, DavidSW has a P series 372, which is either 3 or 4 years old (I don't know if there was a Q serial). He's knocking it out at US$5,975, which I would think is not that much of a saving over a new one considering it's at least three years old. Ok, so it hasn't retained the value of something like, say, a Sub or BLNR but it's probably on par with an Explorer II and better than a DJ. None of the Rolexes would come close to a PP Nautilus but who cares? I personally do not buy watches with an eye on future value. I buy to wear, to love and to enjoy. Unless you can afford pieces that cost similar money to a small Caribbean island, then buying watches as an investment is a mug's game.

Panerai might not be for everyone but then it never was. You get a Panerai for the love of the design and the brand. No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy one.

x1,000,000!

Great post.

This is a watch forum to share what we love. Yet it's amazing how many people lose sight of this and get negative.

There's a watch out there for everyone and life is too short.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:00 PM   #62
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Love Panerai but I totally stop buying anymore after I bought my 372. Love my 372 to bits and totally avoid using it as much as I can since it will totally screw up my rotation schedule. I can wear the 372 for a month with out any need to change to other watches. It is that good!

HAGWE!
James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:10 PM   #63
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have bought +100 watches over the years and have NEVER flipped one.

My 231 will always be a favourite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06683.JPG (157.0 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01797.jpg (30.2 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0457.jpg (79.6 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01783a.JPG (108.9 KB, 593 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:12 PM   #64
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I have bought +100 watches over the years and have NEVER flipped one.

My 231 will always be a favourite.
You currently own over 100 watches?

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 08:52 PM   #65
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
x1,000,000!

Great post.

This is a watch forum to share what we love. Yet it's amazing how many people lose sight of this and get negative.

There's a watch out there for everyone and life is too short.

Thank you kindly, my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post

He's never flipped but that doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't given them away to his kids, mates, family and/or colleagues or something

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 11:34 PM   #66
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quite simply, no.
Old 23 April 2017, 03:09 AM   #67
nick c
Banned

This for all the haters that saying Panerai is fading it's still kicking strong 💪
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5197.jpg (50.1 KB, 562 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 03:46 AM   #68
mike_hk2ksk
"TRF" Member

1st post

Hi, I am new to PAMs, but this post motivated me to share some thoughts. I'm a one and a half watch guy, don't need too many. Had a DJ since 2000, when I 1st time could afford a quality watch. Then got the Sub in the 201x. DJ by that time was forgotten in a safe. Aslo got a daily wear watch - B&M for times when Sub was inapropriate. Sure once in a while I would discover a new instrument to admire - some Breget or IWC or Zenith models or a lesser known AeroWatch Chrono, but was never inspired to the point of ownership. Then recently I discovered Panerai. I was wowed - enough said. I started a research but to me - there were so many minor or major show-stoppers with older models - size, thickness, long-term maintenance, fakes out there. So not until I ran into 1312, was I absolutely sure that I found my PAM. Size is perfect, blue hand is an attractive feature for me. It has a new movement. And since I am a newcomer, I have no alliegance to historic DNA footprint. I got it at a price point I am happy with and also managed to get a favorable trade-in value for old unused DJ. So my point is that Panerai is not dead. They are experimenting with new models, sometime sucessfuly. I would not be a PAM owner now if they didn't experiment and produced 1312 model that I fell in love with. They are attracting new dudes like me. I am now contemplating something like PAM 689 longer term. And hopefuly they will keep enough models in the line-up to make the legacy crowd happy. Peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020971.jpg (92.3 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg P1020969.jpg (76.1 KB, 565 views)
mike_hk2ksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 03:46 AM   #69
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
This for all the haters that saying Panerai is fading it's still kicking strong 💪
Gorgeous photo. The Pam fits in just perfectly with the rest of the group
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 05:07 AM   #70
Time Collector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/Panerai
For those of us that purchased the watch because we the brand, Panerai will never fade. But if you like to chase fads, then sure it will fade in your mind, because you will have to go with what someone else is considering trendy or whats in at the moment.

I truly the strap game when it comes to Panerai watches. My 233 holds its own with my AP and Rolex watches, because of the different straps I wear, it gets the lions share of wrist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP 233 2.jpg (142.5 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg Sub 233 1.jpg (227.3 KB, 572 views)

"You can never buy back Time, so spend it wisely."
Time Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 07:08 AM   #71
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome photo!

Not to get off-topic, but did you drive the Nürburgring?
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 07:16 AM   #72
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk View Post
Gorgeous photo. The Pam fits in just perfectly with the rest of the group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Awesome photo!

Not to get off-topic, but did you drive the Nürburgring?

Thanks gents I didn't get there yet
Old 23 April 2017, 07:26 AM   #73
nick c
Banned

We all Paneristi for life 🤘🏻
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5196.JPG (201.7 KB, 539 views)
Old 23 April 2017, 10:58 AM   #74
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_hk2ksk View Post
Hi, I am new to PAMs, but this post motivated me to share some thoughts. I'm a one and a half watch guy, don't need too many. Had a DJ since 2000, when I 1st time could afford a quality watch. Then got the Sub in the 201x. DJ by that time was forgotten in a safe. Aslo got a daily wear watch - B&M for times when Sub was inapropriate. Sure once in a while I would discover a new instrument to admire - some Breget or IWC or Zenith models or a lesser known AeroWatch Chrono, but was never inspired to the point of ownership. Then recently I discovered Panerai. I was wowed - enough said. I started a research but to me - there were so many minor or major show-stoppers with older models - size, thickness, long-term maintenance, fakes out there. So not until I ran into 1312, was I absolutely sure that I found my PAM. Size is perfect, blue hand is an attractive feature for me. It has a new movement. And since I am a newcomer, I have no alliegance to historic DNA footprint. I got it at a price point I am happy with and also managed to get a favorable trade-in value for old unused DJ. So my point is that Panerai is not dead. They are experimenting with new models, sometime sucessfuly. I would not be a PAM owner now if they didn't experiment and produced 1312 model that I fell in love with. They are attracting new dudes like me. I am now contemplating something like PAM 689 longer term. And hopefuly they will keep enough models in the line-up to make the legacy crowd happy. Peace.
Did someone say 689?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8398.jpg (127.5 KB, 528 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1763.jpg (130.8 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7187.jpg (43.1 KB, 534 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 23 April 2017, 12:15 PM   #75
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Did someone say 689?
Last shot is a killer. Awesome.

This what make Pams great.

They are sporty watches but with the right strap you have wear them with suits no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 01:52 PM   #76
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Did someone say 689?
Beautiful pics Paul well done
Old 23 April 2017, 03:56 PM   #77
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post

Your reading skills haven't improved.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 09:55 AM   #78
lt114
"TRF" Member

One thing I don't care for with Pam are all of the limited editions. Is there a reason they do this?
lt114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 11:02 AM   #79
zaratewl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt114 View Post
One thing I don't care for with Pam are all of the limited editions. Is there a reason they do this?
$$$

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
zaratewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 12:22 PM   #80
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
Last shot is a killer. Awesome.

This what make Pams great.

They are sporty watches but with the right strap you have wear them with suits no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Beautiful pics Paul well done
Thank you kindly, gents

Old 25 April 2017, 03:26 AM   #81
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I think your looking celebrity status to influence your decision making. Buy what speaks to you
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 08:10 AM   #82
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I still love Panerai, but I don't currently own one. I have owned about a dozen of them over the years, enjoyed them when I had them.

I currently think the big watch fad is fading, and that will affect Panerai. I am getting older I guess, and I want something around 40mm and comfortable on my wrist these days.

Another thought, I used to pay about $3500-$4000 for a nice Pam. Once they started to go main stream and the prices went up, you have to really think about what you are buying. $6000 for a 111 is just silly, base ETA and a strap. Panerai started to price themselves into a range were you can get much more for your money with another brand.
Old 25 April 2017, 11:35 AM   #83
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I still love Panerai, but I don't currently own one. I have owned about a dozen of them over the years, enjoyed them when I had them.

I currently think the big watch fad is fading, and that will affect Panerai. I am getting older I guess, and I want something around 40mm and comfortable on my wrist these days.

Another thought, I used to pay about $3500-$4000 for a nice Pam. Once they started to go main stream and the prices went up, you have to really think about what you are buying. $6000 for a 111 is just silly, base ETA and a strap. Panerai started to price themselves into a range were you can get much more for your money with another brand.
I'm curious to know how you come to the conclusion that you can get more for your money with another brand?

Old 25 April 2017, 12:07 PM   #84
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post

I currently think the big watch fad is fading, and that will affect Panerai. I am getting older I guess, and I want something around 40mm and comfortable on my wrist these
FYI Panerai is not fading stores and boutique opening all over the places people still buying from 40mm to 47mm including me yes I'm also getting older 44 years old and loving them yes I also made lots of money before selling for a profit like you did selling your dozen for a profit I'm sure about it and other companies selling eta movement for over 10k so for Panerai 111 for 6k it's not so bad have a great day
Old 25 April 2017, 04:23 PM   #85
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Panerai ain't dead but it certainly ain't what it used to be.
I bought my 005 from gray dealer at almost full MSRP, and now they can be had for much friendly prices.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 07:16 PM   #86
yaku
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM. 88 rolex..
Still like the Panerai that I have. Resale price has dropped but as everyone says, who cares what others say as long as you love the watch!
yaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 09:03 AM   #87
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
It's interesting to watch where Panerai will go with the big watch trend gradually ending. Also, they're quite restricted in their range - it's either Radiomir or Luminor - so how will they keep public interest going?

I've owned two - a 372 and a 590 - and they're nice to own and wear but I can't see me buying any more, with the possible exception of a 425.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 11:04 PM   #88
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm curious to know how you come to the conclusion that you can get more for your money with another brand?
You have been around a while, how do I need to explain anything to you? Compare a new Omega with a 8500 for the same price as the base Panerai. Compare a new Tudor with inhouse movement and a 70 hour power reserve against the new joke of a watch base Pams. Panerai makes some great watches, I still like them a lot. I just personally lost interest in larger watches and I have come to realize that I can get much more bang for my buck in the $5000-$6000 range than a Panerai.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:05 PM   #89
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FYI Panerai is not fading stores and boutique opening all over the places people still buying from 40mm to 47mm including me yes I'm also getting older 44 years old and loving them yes I also made lots of money before selling for a profit like you did selling your dozen for a profit I'm sure about it and other companies selling eta movement for over 10k so for Panerai 111 for 6k it's not so bad have a great day
Longest sentence ever.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:39 PM   #90
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool pic
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote