The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 June 2017, 10:59 PM   #1
jah313
"TRF" Member

Questions about my watch

Hi All,

As you can see, I am new here and have some questions. I have a Submariner (1680 I believe) manufactured in 1967. I have had the watch for several years and worn it only a few times. It has been to Rolex twice (while I have owned it) for checkups and minor repairs. I have the original box, anchor, receipt, papers, booklet etc. I have it all. When I wear it, I use an aftermarket band as not to damage the original.

So, about a year or so ago just after having it serviced, I look down and the bezel is GONE!!!

I need to replace it, so I can sell the watch. I want an actual Rolex bezel and NOT aftermarket. How do I do that? If I send to Rolex how much is it? If I buy on the internet, how do I know the part is legit? What should I expect to pay for the bezel?

Thank you vey much!
jah313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 01:38 AM   #2
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Welcome to the forum,

Knowing what year of your watch will tell you by looking between the lugs and finding your serial number.

By knowing your getting authentic Rolex parts in your case is by going to Rolex service center. By doing this it insurer's your getting original Rolex parts.

Now Rolex does not make the exact parts for your watch. So in doing so they will provide you with a service bezel, This will have impact of resale value.

Good luck with your sale of your watch.

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
A picture would be nice. Also are you talking about the bezel or just the insert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2017, 06:49 AM   #4
jah313
"TRF" Member

Thanks all,

I will have pics next week.

The whole bezel. So frustrating because they replaced the whole thing which I did NOT want them to do. Then it fell off the following week.

SO upset with the jeweler that I went to. AND they were a Rolex place.
Old 10 June 2017, 08:32 AM   #5
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah313 View Post
Thanks all,

I will have pics next week.

The whole bezel. So frustrating because they replaced the whole thing which I did NOT want them to do. Then it fell off the following week.

SO upset with the jeweler that I went to. AND they were a Rolex place.
So they replaced the entire bezel assembly, which you didn't want them to do...but you must have not specified clearly what you did or did not want done otherwise they wouldn't have done that...also, if the whole bezel was just replaced and it has already fallen off, something clearly wasn't seated properly or you really gave it a good whack...assuming that didn't happen (hit it on something), I'd suggest letting them know what has since happened. If, of course, you haven't done so already....
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 09:03 AM   #6
LnL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 Daytona
^ I agree, I would have a SERIOUS talk with that business.

I lost the bezel and insert off of my Submariner several years ago, and it was a bit of a pain to replace. After not finding ANY source locally, I put out an S.O.S. on here and one of the bigger named dealers on here contacted me, and got me fixed up. I ended up doing a lot of business with that dealer after that.

At one time I would have suggested that you to contact him, but he had some problems, and I recently heard that he is deceased.

Hopefully another vendor on here will step up and help you out.

Oh, a few years later I was changing some things up at my house, and moved my bed away from the wall - and my original bezel and insert were resting against the baseboard! I must have worn the watch to bed, and whacked the bezel against the windowsill while rolling over in my sleep, knocking it off.
LnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Paul
"TRF" Member

Something to watch with second hand bezels ...

Twenty years into this hobby and I've concluded that's it's really hit and miss when buying a used sports bezel. Nice to think that old bezels that come up for sale were swapped off the original watch simply cos they were a bit scratched up. Reality is, many of the bezels that come up for sale were swapped off watches cos they've got baggy and don't fit up firmly to a retaining ring any more.

I've been caught twice with baggy second-hand bezels, with no confidence at all once fitted that they'd still be on my watch in a weeks time. Not a problem when an old bezel traded for $100 ..... a different story now when a used 5513 bezel runs at about $1000 .... and your favourite insert might be worth $2000.

A baggy bezel can be tightened by an RSC or you'd need to find an independent technician that has this clever '1006' tool. Going forward though, if I buy a used bezel I'm gonna always ask the seller for an assurance that it does fit up firmly to a retaining ring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-ORIGIN...-/201728415631
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_1006_tool.jpg (11.2 KB, 207 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 02:27 AM   #8
jah313
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the information. At this point I don't know what to do. I have fought with the jeweler over and its now been 2 years because he said I had to pay for the second repair. UGH
Old 15 June 2017, 03:24 AM   #9
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah313 View Post
Thank you all for the information. At this point I don't know what to do. I have fought with the jeweler over and its now been 2 years because he said I had to pay for the second repair. UGH
It's been 2 years since you lost the bezel?
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:04 AM   #10
jah313
"TRF" Member

Yep! And then I put it in the safe and didn't think about it.