The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2017, 07:35 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Are they sourcing it from a reseller for you and not from HSWA. If so, I guess they can charge whatever they want. But you can buy directly from the grey marketers and I believe this watch can be bought "unworn" cheaper than 10K over from what I see advertised.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:40 AM   #32
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
So some updates. I do actually like my AD a lot. They told me if they sourced one now it would be 8k over retail. Im in no rush, so I put my name down on the list (i was assured i am high on the list) and hopefully I will receive it within the year, no deposit and at retail price. My AD also told me to contact my other AD that I used to go to before them and order it with them so I have a shot at getting it sooner. I called an no one else from them has it on order, so I am #1 on their list....so we shall see what happens.
drmovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:08 AM   #33
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmovement View Post
So some updates. I do actually like my AD a lot. They told me if they sourced one now it would be 8k over retail. Im in no rush, so I put my name down on the list (i was assured i am high on the list) and hopefully I will receive it within the year, no deposit and at retail price. My AD also told me to contact my other AD that I used to go to before them and order it with them so I have a shot at getting it sooner. I called an no one else from them has it on order, so I am #1 on their list....so we shall see what happens.
This seems very reasonable. The 5524G has been under tight supply because it is a new movement (or significantly modified from a base movement) and it takes Patek a while to start cranking out the reference in large numbers. I know current owners will not like it when Patek starts ramping up production, but Patek never said this would be a limited production watch, so you have to expect it will be produced in larger quantities sooner or later. And when that happens, we will see the pre-owned price dip below retail price.

For an AD to source a watch from the secondary market for you, of course they will charge the market price and then a slight premium. However if you can get it new from another AD, then why not? There is nothing wrong with being on multiple wait lists for a regular production watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 12:44 PM   #34
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Well now I think your AD sounds awesome! I think 8k extra for the watch now is more than reasonable. I'll be checking with a few ADs this week to see about getting on a list myself, keep us posted on your acquisition!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 08:39 PM   #35
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Well now I think your AD sounds awesome! I think 8k extra for the watch now is more than reasonable. I'll be checking with a few ADs this week to see about getting on a list myself, keep us posted on your acquisition!
Absolutely!
drmovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 09:37 PM   #36
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
This seems very reasonable. The 5524G has been under tight supply because it is a new movement (or significantly modified from a base movement) and it takes Patek a while to start cranking out the reference in large numbers. I know current owners will not like it when Patek starts ramping up production, but Patek never said this would be a limited production watch, so you have to expect it will be produced in larger quantities sooner or later. And when that happens, we will see the pre-owned price dip below retail price.

For an AD to source a watch from the secondary market for you, of course they will charge the market price and then a slight premium. However if you can get it new from another AD, then why not? There is nothing wrong with being on multiple wait lists for a regular production watch.
Hi Jon
Thus is interesting as I thought it was the bulk standard movement used in the 5164 and hence the smaller unit in a larger case. Actually my gut tells me production is less about movement versus case. When they didn't know Huw successful thecwatch would be they did a first production run of cases. As you are aware production runs are booked long in advance and are for limited predetermined production times. Yes this will increase and yes some owners will be miffed when more if them appear but to be honest you need more to get the demand up for preowned prices. Many people never seen one so I am ok with an increase in numbers as long as we not talking about 5170 numbers. I bought the watch because I thought it was novel not too make a quick buck and owned it for iver 18 months now. Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:43 AM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Hi Jon
Thus is interesting as I thought it was the bulk standard movement used in the 5164 and hence the smaller unit in a larger case. Actually my gut tells me production is less about movement versus case. When they didn't know Huw successful thecwatch would be they did a first production run of cases. As you are aware production runs are booked long in advance and are for limited predetermined production times. Yes this will increase and yes some owners will be miffed when more if them appear but to be honest you need more to get the demand up for preowned prices. Many people never seen one so I am ok with an increase in numbers as long as we not talking about 5170 numbers. I bought the watch because I thought it was novel not too make a quick buck and owned it for iver 18 months now. Cheers
You are correct in that the 5524 uses the same movement as the 5164. For some reason, I was thinking about the 5990 movement, which is a different movement with the travel time + chronograph.

As you mentioned, it must be the larger case of the 5524 which is limiting Patek's production of the watch. Unfortunately it is difficult for a watch manufacturer to accurately match the production numbers with the actual demand for a specific watch . With a regular production watch, Patek does not intentionally limit production and discontinue a reference prematurely unless it is an extremely unpopular watch. Although some would say Patek is limiting the production of the 5711/1A and 5712/1A, in the long run it will be a good thing for a brand not to overproduce any one specific reference.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote