The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 June 2017, 06:01 AM   #1
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Trying to learn more about my new 1016...

I wouldn't say I am a collector, but definitely a watch enthusiast. I am very knowledgeable with Panerai, rolex GMT's and Sub's., but know nothing about explorer's.

Recently my Mom gave me her Rolex explorer. She got it as a gift from my Dad in 1972, I actually remember that day ( I was 5). I guess getting a Rolex then was as much of a big deal as it is now... I actually never realized her Rolex was an explorer, I always assumed it was either an Airking or an Oyster Perpetual...

So here it is, I am now the owner of a 1016 serial# 298XXXX circa 1972 and I am trying to asses the value and condition for this type of watch ( I am not selling it by the way). The value I have seen run in the $9500 and up, but I haven't seen one example with such a well preserved dial, the numbers are very sharp (the photos do not do it justice). I asked my Mom if the watch had ever been serviced and she doesn't remember having ever serviced it. I asked her because the hands are so much whiter than the numbers on the dial. However I have seen example of subs with similar features (Original hands being whiter). The bracelet shows very little stretch as well, and I doubt it has ever been polished ( I know it's taboo to say that...) but being a family heirloom I have direct insider knowledge.

So my question are:
Is it as fine of an example for a circa 1972 as I believe it is, or is it average?
Anyone knows where or whom could give me what the value is? As I would like to insure it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer-1.jpg (118.5 KB, 120 views)
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:11 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Those hands gotta be replaced @ one point in time.....sometimes you get uneven aging but this is almost black and white IMO. Dial looks to have taken a nice patina....can't tell about the lugs/how polished it is with these shots....needs to be @ an angle to show how thick/sharp the lugs are. I'll let the pros churn in further.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Those hands gotta be replaced @ one point in time.....sometimes you get uneven aging but this is almost black and white IMO. Dial looks to have taken a nice patina....can't tell about the lugs/how polished it is with these shots....needs to be @ an angle to show how thick/sharp the lugs are. I'll let the pros churn in further.
That's what I first suspected and the first question I ask my Mom, but she can 't remember ever servicing it.... and as I mentioned I have seen many subs with original hands that were very similar to this explorer. Also the hands are definitely lighter, but they are not white, more like a light cream ( the photo doesn't really reflect that : (... I will post a pict of the side later, but the tips of the spring bars are about 1mm+ in, so it's pretty thick.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Definitely need more pics to assess properly. These are very valuable if all original, and even if the hands are newer they may still be tritium and eventually develop patina as well.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote