The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 June 2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Valkyrie31
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 6542
Rolex GMT Master model 6542

Hello all,
Being new to this forum, please forgive my errors, this is the first forum I've ever posted to. My wifes Dad who was career military(38 yrs), had a GMT Master 6542 that his wife bought him. He wore it daily throughout his military days & then on to farming/ranching in Texas. He gave me the watch about 30 years ago. It had a missing band, cracked crystal, & looked every bit a daily worn, working watch. He said it was the best watch he ever had, & if I got the crystal & band replaced, I would never need another watch. We put the watch away, saying "one day" we would restore it. Fast forward to 2017 & I think its time to get started. Heres the specifics, The serial # is 3973XX (Had to get a magnifying headset to see), model # 6542. From what we found online, it's a 1958 vintage. "Somewhere" we have the original receipt from when her mom bought it on Base, & a couple of papers. The box had seen way better days, not even sure if we kept it. Not a clue at the moment where any of the papers are, they'll turn up one day. I think the "crystal" is acrylic, hard to tell since I am definitely no expert. The bezel seems to be Bakelite, doesn't look cracked, but it is worn. Boy, do we have questions! First off, how can we tell what kind of band was originally on it, (my wife said she thinks it was the oyster). I would like to get a replacement but what model number of band do we look for, what numbers should be on it, & where is a good place to look?
I would love to take the back off to get a definite date, but have no idea how, & am not brave enough to chance it myself & just not sure who to take it to for any servicing etc. We live in the middle of nowhere Texas, not to mention the horror stories of unscrupulous jewelers & watch repairs we've been told...
I would like to get this watch restored, Even if we have to do a little at a time. Her Dad passed away in the late 90's, so it means even more to us to do this. I will try to post pictures if I can figure how to get them off my phone & on the computer in the right size. Any help, advice, comments are welcomed & greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed.
Valkyrie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Hi Ed welcome to TRF, quite a first post you've got here. Pictures would certainly help us let you know what you've got, but until then I would recommend you contact @springer through this forum. He is based in Texas and is the most knowledgeable member here regarding the GMT-Master.
With the serial number you provided, the watch you have is very valuable these days and must be treated well by a qualified independent watchmaker. If you do want a correct Oyster bracelet then you need to look for a 7206 with 58 end links. They come up for sale here from time to time for around $2k or so for a good one.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 09:53 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The 6542 used the 7206 Oyster bracelet with 80 end links. While the 58 end links might fit, they were utilized later on the 1675 GMTs. The early 7206 bracelets were not stamped with their model number until around 1963. If you find a 7206 bracelet pre-1963, it should be dated on the clasp and not have a model number stamped on the center section of the the last link.

There is another Oyster bracelet that will work - model 6636. It is basically the same bracelet as the 7206 except that it is
a stretch bracelet (with springs inside the links).

If you are unfamiliar with these bracelets, below is a link to help you identify them.

https://rolexvintageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=240

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 09:58 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
58 ends will fit.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 02:24 AM   #5
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Actually, if you really want to be correct you are going to want an Oyster band with 65 ends, but those are particularly rare (as they were only originally fitted to the models 6542, 6538, 5510 and 6200, all of which were, and are, extremely scarce). These bands command a fairly high price, when they are matched with an original 1950s clasp.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:05 AM   #6
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum Ed. As you are already aware, who you choose to service the watch is critically important.

I'm in Corpus, if I can do anything to help just PM me. I look forward to pictures of what sounds like a great heirloom.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:09 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Love these posts. Please post some photographs and let no one touch it until the guys here put you in touch with people that won't help 'destroy' the watch offering newer parts etc.
Old 19 June 2017, 04:50 AM   #8
1675-David
"TRF" Member

welcome to the Forum Ed, really looking forward to seeing some images, both before during and after...
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 05:34 AM   #9
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Just a thought , If the Bracelet is still the original , What about having it rebuilt by Michael Young ?

I can't wait for pictures how exciting
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 05:39 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Actually, if you really want to be correct you are going to want an Oyster band with 65 ends, but those are particularly rare (as they were only originally fitted to the models 6542, 6538, 5510 and 6200, all of which were, and are, extremely scarce). These bands command a fairly high price, when they are matched with an original 1950s clasp.

Michael

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

The later 6542s utilized 80 end links, others will fit.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:36 AM   #11
MikeB2620
"TRF" Member

I have a similar story to yours. My Dad purchase a 6542 at a base exchange in Saudi Arabia in 1960. Wore it every day through 1987 or 88. I had Bob Ridley restore it and he did a great job. It is the subject of a "Watch of the Month" post on this forum by his son, Phil.
MikeB2620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:52 AM   #12
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Just a thought , If the Bracelet is still the original , What about having it rebuilt by Michael Young ?

I can't wait for pictures how exciting
OP states he doesn't have the bracelet...