The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 June 2017, 11:22 PM   #1
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Travelling to Italy

Hi guys, next month I will be travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks, mainly I shall be in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, Bay of Naples.

I've recently acquired my first Rolex, the new Sea Dweller (SD43), it's insured but I am wary of taking it on my travels with me, particularly wearing it around Rome and also to get to the Amalfi Coast I have to go through Naples train station. I know that Naples is a hot bed for thieves and pick pockets and that these guys can whip your watch off your wrist without you even noticing.

Just wondering if you guys have experience of wearing a Rolex in these places?

Thanks
Luchi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:25 PM   #2
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I went to all three places in April, included Naples and Rome train stations with my GMT II C.

No problems ANYWHERE.

Italy was a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 June 2017, 11:32 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I wear my watch in every country i have ever visited and always will including Italy (Rome and Naples).

Petty crime is an issue everywhere to some extent so its a non issue to me as the likelihood is probably the same you'll get it swiped wearing it in your own hometown.

If i was truly worried about getting robbed I would probably be less concerned about whether or not my watch should be making the trip and questioning if i should make the trip.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:41 PM   #4
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
You just have to be smart in crowds people we were traveling with got their wallet lifted in a crowd we were at Trevi Fountain in Rome.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:44 PM   #5
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD/RedSuB/COMEX
I would be EXTREMELY careful when wearing it around Naples, especially the train station! I would never wear it.
SUB: 16800 Ghost Bezel; 1680 200 RedSub; 16610LV FAT 4 (Y) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS / EXP: I 14270; I Freccione 1655; SD: 16660 Triple 6; 1665 Submariner 2000-DRSD; 1665 Great White MKI; 116600 SD4K NOS (2); 116660 DSSD MKI; 16600 Sommozzatori Polipetto NOS; 16600 NOS; (2) 126600 SD43 NOS; 16600 COMEX NOS / DAYTONA: 116500 NOS (4); 16520 Zenith (6) NOS; 116520 (5) NOS; P.P+++
anakyn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:47 PM   #6
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchi12 View Post
Hi guys, next month I will be travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks, mainly I shall be in Rome and the Amalfi Coast, Bay of Naples.

I've recently acquired my first Rolex, the new Sea Dweller (SD43), it's insured but I am wary of taking it on my travels with me, particularly wearing it around Rome and also to get to the Amalfi Coast I have to go through Naples train station. I know that Naples is a hot bed for thieves and pick pockets and that these guys can whip your watch off your wrist without you even noticing.

Just wondering if you guys have experience of wearing a Rolex in these places?

Thanks
Insure it, and wear it.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl View Post
Insure it, and wear it.
It's insured but would be major hassle making a claim, particularly as it's a new watch with a fairly long waiting list, there's only one AD in the whole country here so would take months to get a replacement.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:08 AM   #8
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
So. Do you really think that no one in Italy ever wears a Rolex. That people in Europe keep their watches in safe deposit boxes until they come over to visit the "safe" USA.

I was thinking of going to Walmart today, was unsure if it would be safe to wear my watch because I am going through the frozen foods section.

Yes, you will be the ONLY Rolex in all of Rome and thieves will be sending messages to each other to all gang up on the one and only Rolex to ever come through Italy.

Really....
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:12 AM   #9
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post
So. Do you really think that no one in Italy ever wears a Rolex. That people in Europe keep their watches in safe deposit boxes until they come over to visit the "safe" USA.

I was thinking of going to Walmart today, was unsure if it would be safe to wear my watch because I am going through the frozen foods section.

Yes, you will be the ONLY Rolex in all of Rome and thieves will be sending messages to each other to all gang up on the one and only Rolex to ever come through Italy.

Really....
Awesome
SUB: 16800 Ghost Bezel; 1680 200 RedSub; 16610LV FAT 4 (Y) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS; 16610LV FAT 4 (F) NOS / EXP: I 14270; I Freccione 1655; SD: 16660 Triple 6; 1665 Submariner 2000-DRSD; 1665 Great White MKI; 116600 SD4K NOS (2); 116660 DSSD MKI; 16600 Sommozzatori Polipetto NOS; 16600 NOS; (2) 126600 SD43 NOS; 16600 COMEX NOS / DAYTONA: 116500 NOS (4); 16520 Zenith (6) NOS; 116520 (5) NOS; P.P+++
Old 23 June 2017, 12:14 AM   #10
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
OP, you already know your answer. Keep the watch at home and spare yourself the agony.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:19 AM   #11
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
You just have to be smart in crowds people we were traveling with got their wallet lifted in a crowd we were at Trevi Fountain in Rome.

Never thought about risk at the fountain even though it was MOBBED from every which direction. Still wore my Rolex and had my wallet before and after the visit.

People wear Rolex in Italy daily. In fact there are Rolex ADs in Italy. It is safe to wear your Rolex in Italy.

Common sense is all that is needed. No need to pack the paranoia for the vacation.

Old 23 June 2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
I spent 45 minutes wondering around the Trevi last month wearing a Freccione on my wrist and a wallet in my pocket. I came to no harm and during my 3 week tour of Italy saw nothing to worry me one little bit. I saw more Rolex in Rome than I have ever seen in my entire life, so a Rolex wearer is nothing special.

If you are genuinely about wearing a Rolex then sell it. It does not make sense to wear something that gives you concern.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #13
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really....
To be honest it's not really Rome that I'm worried about, it's Naples, my family are from Naples and my father always used to make sure we were carrying no jewelry when we visited.
Old 23 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #14
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I'm heading there Saturday. Ischia and sorrento with a lot of stops in between- Rome, Vatican etc. planning on bringing my 16610. It's fully insured so I'm not too worried.
Have a fun trip!
Old 23 June 2017, 12:28 AM   #15
jdpny
Banned

Have traveled all throughout Italy with a Rolex on my wrist without incident.
jdpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:28 AM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

If you are worried , just leave it at home. Not worth stressing over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:29 AM   #17
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakyn101 View Post
I would be EXTREMELY careful when wearing it around Naples, especially the train station! I would never wear it.
Yeah, my dad is from Naples and lived there 30 years of his life and thinks I would be mad to wear expensive jewelry, watches around Naples but thought it would be best to get other opinions as you know what parents are like!
Old 23 June 2017, 12:31 AM   #18
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I'm heading there Saturday. Ischia and sorrento with a lot of stops in between- Rome, Vatican etc. planning on bringing my 16610. It's fully insured so I'm not too worried.
Have a fun trip!
Nice, sounds similar to my trip. Rome then Naples, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Capri for me. Have a good one!
Old 23 June 2017, 12:32 AM   #19
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice, sounds similar to my trip. Rome then Naples, Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Capri for me. Have a good one!
Old 23 June 2017, 12:39 AM   #20
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Capri is safe, too. Very wealthy island, loaded with Rolex new and vintage.

Took this photo at the Rolex AD in Capri. All the vintage Rolex were owned by a local who liked to display his watches. None were for sale.

Old 23 June 2017, 12:40 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really....
my list of places i am mildly worried about wearing an expensive watch although i still would wear it.
chicago
detroit
LA
Atlanta
Oakland
St. Louis
Baltimore
NYC

Naples
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:41 AM   #22
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Rule of thumb from our security people where I used to work was to never wear anything while traveling that might draw attention. Expensive watches do draw attention. Clothing that shouts "I am a tourist" draws attention.

The fact that some people don't get robbed, mugged, or harmed does not mean that no one will get robbed, mugged, or harmed. Getting your watch stolen is not the worst thing that can happen if you get mugged.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:49 AM   #23
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Capri is safe, too. Very wealthy island, loaded with Rolex new and vintage.

Took this photo at the Rolex AD in Capri. All the vintage Rolex were owned by a local who liked to display his watches. None were for sale.

Yeah I've been to Capri many times before as I have Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, I know a Rolex will not draw attention in those places as like you say there are a lot of wealthy people there.

It's more the City of Naples that I'm worried about and I guess Rome at night as we plan to do a lot of exploring on foot. Thing is my dad was born and raised in Naples and is very old school about making sure not to wear any jewelry in Naples so just thought it would be good to hear other people's recent experiences of travelling in these places :)
Old 23 June 2017, 12:52 AM   #24
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

I never had a problem in Italy, but you do have to be careful.
Alex Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:53 AM   #25
anakyn101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, my dad is from Naples and lived there 30 years of his life and thinks I would be mad to wear expensive jewelry, watches around Naples but thought it would be best to get other opinions as you know what parents are like!
Regardless of what you decide to wear, have a great trip!
Old 23 June 2017, 01:32 AM   #26
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Buongiorno! I've been all over Italy including the places you've mentioned with my 116710. I've never had a problem. Rome at night is very safe. Naples has some bad parts but easily avoided just like in every other big city. Persoanlly I'd wear it and enjoy. Italy is a great place. Have fun and enjoy your stay. I'll be back there again in late August and early September once again proving it's safe to wear one in the Alps, Dolomites, and wandering the streets and canals of Venezia.
Ciao.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 01:36 AM   #27
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I wear my watch in every country i have ever visited and always will including Italy (Rome and Naples).

Petty crime is an issue everywhere to some extent so its a non issue to me as the likelihood is probably the same you'll get it swiped wearing it in your own hometown.

If i was truly worried about getting robbed I would probably be less concerned about whether or not my watch should be making the trip and questioning if i should make the trip.
My sentiments, exactly. I have only driven though Naples on my way to the Amalfi Coast from Rome and have always worn my GMT-II when travelling with no problem ever.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 03:09 AM   #28
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention while in Naples, I saw a Russian tourist in a sweat suit strolling about with a Platinum Glacier Blue Day Date.

Not a care in the world.

Old 23 June 2017, 03:27 AM   #29
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Forgot to mention while in Naples, I saw a Russian tourist in a sweat suit strolling about with a Platinum Glacier Blue Day Date.

Not a care in the world.

Maybe connected?

OP, since I'm going before you I'll let you know if I get robbed
Old 23 June 2017, 03:48 AM   #30
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Traveled to both, in Rome, there will be plenty much more expensive watches around you. Naples is a different story, I would advise against wearing even a Swatch watch there.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote