The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2017, 04:07 AM   #31
themast
"TRF" Member

Short story.
Amalfi coast and Capri are very safe. Rome is like any other large city in the world. Naples is a bit more complicated. I come from the area and I am extremely cautious when I go to Naples.

Anecdote.
A few years ago I was flying to Naples and I was pondering whether to take my watch off before boarding the flight. While I was in line, waiting for boarding, I noticed that a guy in front of me was wearing a DateJust and another one a Submariner. So I felt quite silly to have thought about removing the watch.
As the line moved forward I realized that the guy wearing the DJ (who turned out to be a local) slipped off the watch off his wrist and put it in his pocket before boarding!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:15 AM   #32
thedukewatch
"TRF" Member

I am curious - How does one insure a watch for a trip to Italy?
thedukewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:18 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukewatch View Post
my insurance on my watches covers anywhere in the world for any trip up to 60 days in length.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:25 AM   #34
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Worldwide cover as an extension on house contents insurance
Luchi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:27 AM   #35
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My watches are scheduled under the home insurance and they are covered worldwide.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:27 AM   #36
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Short story.
Amalfi coast and Capri are very safe. Rome is like any other large city in the world. Naples is a bit more complicated. I come from the area and I am extremely cautious when I go to Naples.

Anecdote.
A few years ago I was flying to Naples and I was pondering whether to take my watch off before boarding the flight. While I was in line, waiting for boarding, I noticed that a guy in front of me was wearing a DateJust and another one a Submariner. So I felt quite silly to have thought about removing the watch.
As the line moved forward I realized that the guy wearing the DJ (who turned out to be a local) slipped off the watch off his wrist and put it in his pocket before boarding!
Yeah, it's Naples that is the worry, particularly the train station. I'll probably just leave the Rolex at home to be honest and give the much less expensive Tag some wrist time. My dad is also from Naples, having been born there and lived there 30 years and he always used to be strict with none of us wearing any jewelry whilst in Naples.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:28 AM   #37
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
my insurance on my watches covers anywhere in the world for any trip up to 60 days in length.
tyler

I suspect (which means I am right) that your UK based insurance only covers your Rolex whilst you are wearing it. So if you are mugged or your wrist gets crushed under a bus, then you will receive compensation.

If you keep your Rolex in your room safe, it is only covered whilst you are in the room. If you pop out for whatever reason, you are not covered.

Also if the hotel staff steal the watch, you are not covered.

So the advice is take just one watch and wear it 24/7.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:32 AM   #38
thedukewatch
"TRF" Member

how about the train ride from rome to florence and then Florence to Cinque Terra?
thedukewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:38 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
tyler

I suspect (which means I am right) that your UK based insurance only covers your Rolex whilst you are wearing it. So if you are mugged or your wrist gets crushed under a bus, then you will receive compensation.

If you keep your Rolex in your room safe, it is only covered whilst you are in the room. If you pop out for whatever reason, you are not covered.

Also if the hotel staff steal the watch, you are not covered.

So the advice is take just one watch and wear it 24/7.

Regards

Mick
My US insurance. Ive moved most of my collection to the US insurance because of the UK restrictions on coverage. But, my UK insurance did cover worldwide travel too. Only if i was wearing it or if it was in the room safe when a loss occurs. My US insurance does not have any such restrictions. UK insurance is tricky to put it mildly. The wearing/safe restriction only applies if either you have 2 watches insured or one watch over £10,000. Insuring one DSSD for example, you would not need to wear it or keep it in a safe to be covered. So if someone breaks in and steals it off the counter you are covered.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:40 AM   #40
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchi12 View Post
Yeah, it's Naples that is the worry, particularly the train station. I'll probably just leave the Rolex at home to be honest and give the much less expensive Tag some wrist time. My dad is also from Naples, having been born there and lived there 30 years and he always used to be strict with none of us wearing any jewelry whilst in Naples.
You can always slip it in your pocket while you go through the station. Just make sure not to attract too much attention. If you have to spend many days in the city I would consider leaving it at home otherwise I think you will be missing it in Capri...

Quote:
how about the train ride from rome to florence and then Florence to Cinque Terra?
I would not worry.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:40 AM   #41
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Stopped reading at "it's insured".
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:47 AM   #42
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Stopped reading at "it's insured".
I don't want to be a target or risk injury to myself or my partner just because I am wearing a Rolex hence asking for personal experiences, particularly in Naples, notorious for being one of the crime capitals of Europe. Also there is a long waiting list for this watch here with only 1 AD in the whole country so getting a replacement from insurance would not be easy.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:51 AM   #43
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
A couple of google searches, and here are some info that might help:

2017 crime and safety report for Naples

If your dad who was born and raised there, tells you to avoid doing something, then I would listen to him.

If you are asking about Moscow, then your dad's advise might not be relevant and asking forum is a good idea. But his advise about the city he was born and raised in?

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:53 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't want to be a target or risk injury to myself or my partner just because I am wearing a Rolex hence asking for personal experiences, particularly in Naples, notorious for being one of the crime capitals of Europe. Also there is a long waiting list for this watch here with only 1 AD in the whole country so getting a replacement from insurance would not be easy.
the same logic applies to any watch right? They are not going to not rob you because you are wearing what is perceived to be a "lesser" watch. They are not picky. If your not wearing a watch they will steal your wallet. Thats what insurance is for. The watch itself is not going to be the reason you get mugged it would be because of very bad luck.

Also, WOW... thats some serious WIS stuff. imagining a mugging scenario and a major concern is where you would be on the waitlist for your replacement watch....
Old 23 June 2017, 04:53 AM   #45
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was in Hamilton a few weeks ago and I stopped by the Rolex AD and inquired on the SD43. The salesman (who was wearing a BLNR) told me that they had received only one and it was gone before reaching the display case.
Did you buy it?
Old 23 June 2017, 04:55 AM   #46
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
A couple of google searches, and here are some info that might help:

2017 crime and safety report for Naples

If your dad who was born and raised there, tells you to avoid doing something, then I would listen to him.

If you are asking about Moscow, then your dad's advise might not be relevant and asking forum is a good idea. But his advise about the city he was born and raised in?
Thanks.

My dad hasn't been there for over 10 years now and also has never had the opportunity to own expensive material items so has no experience of wearing such an item in the city/station so just thought it would be useful to ask people that actually own Rolex's that may have had personal experience with wearing one in this particular city/station.

I shall delete the post if this is an issue.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:56 AM   #47
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was in Hamilton a few weeks ago and I stopped by the Rolex AD and inquired on the SD43. The salesman (who was wearing a BLNR) told me that they had received only one and it was gone before reaching the display case.
Did you buy it?
Small world, yes that was me! The guy wearing the BLNR is an asian guy right? He was the one that sold it me, I got it just over a month ago.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:58 AM   #48
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
If it helps, I wore my 116619 during my 15 day honeymoon to Italy, and we were all over the place (Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena, Tuscany in general, Verona, Venice, Lake Como, Milan...). A steel diver will hardly get you in trouble if you practice some self-awareness and mind the tougher neighborhoods. Enjoy your trip.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:58 AM   #49
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Thanks.

My dad hasn't been there for over 10 years now and also has never had the opportunity to own expensive material items so has no experience of wearing such an item in the city/station so just thought it would be useful to ask people that actually own Rolex's that may have had personal experience with wearing one in this particular city/station.

I shall delete the post if this is an issue.
No issue whatsoever, I am a nobody!

I was just wondering why you wouldn't take his advise, that is all.

Regardless of whether he has been fortunate enough to own a Rolex or not, the dynamics of the city he was born and raised in, he is familiar with. And in 10 years no city changes that much, and not for the better usually.

Enjoy your trip. I would leave the watch home and have a fantastic time in this scenario.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:59 AM   #50
Tanner
Banned

Lots and lots of italians have rolexes, trust me, im italian and i know.
You wont have a problem.
You will be fine.
(Just dont go waving it around in the air)
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:01 AM   #51
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's like a parallel universe here. I was in Naples two nights, walked around at dark, took cabs driven by locals, walked around during the day, spent a solid hour waiting for a train in Naples to the Rome train station (gasp!) and......

NOTHING BAD HAPPENED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 June 2017, 05:04 AM   #52
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Small world, yes that was me! The guy wearing the BLNR is an asian guy right? He was the one that sold it me, I got it just over a month ago.
Small world indeed!

Yes it was an Asian guy. I actually asked him to check out his BLNR because I have never seen one at an AD. He was extremely kind and he allowed me to try it on. We ended up chatting watches for a few minutes.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:12 AM   #53
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Small world indeed!

Yes it was an Asian guy. I actually I asked him to check out his BLNR because I have never seen one at an AD. He was extremely kind and he allowed me to try it on. We ended up chatting watches for a few minutes.
Yeah they usually have a very good selection of SS watches in there. When I got the SD43, there was a DSSD blue in the case along with a BLNR, a sub date and a no date sub, a friend of mine just picked up a Hulk from there a couple of months ago as well with no waiting list.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:20 AM   #54
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
....politically correct or not
...do not wear your $15,000 (yes they pay that) "trophy" new SD there
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:20 AM   #55
run23
"TRF" Member

Travelling to Italy

I've travelled to Italy countless time and have lived there for a short period, and it never occurred to me to be worried about my watch. Pickpockets however can be a real problem, so worry more about your wallet and camera equipment, especially in crowded tourist areas.

You'll see lots of Rolexes in Italy worn by Italians.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:23 AM   #56
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I've been all over Italy and never had a problem.

I think if you are aware of your surroundings you're as safe there as you are in your own back yard.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:32 AM   #57
Clasper
"TRF" Member

It's quite interesting reading everyone's different stories and advice.

I originate from a working class town in the North East and used to go to some seriously rough pubs, I never had a problem with any of them although of course some people would avoid them like the plague thinking they would be glassed as soon as they walked in the door whereas in reality they probably would have had fun, its all down to someone's perception.

It's like every town in the world, there are good parts and bad parts and no matter where you are you have to use a bit common sense. Now I've wore my Rolex in numerous parts of the world but still in certain places would think twice.

A prime example would be walking down las Ramblas in Barcelona at 1am before going to F1 the next day, now I know it has a seriously bad pickpocket problem and these guys/girls are really pro's at finding watches, wallets, phones etc so I didn't take my watch out purely to avoid hassle. One of my friends who was well aware of this and still managed to get his iphone stolen (for all the use it was being permanently locked after this) and he still doesn't know yet how they got it.

So like I said just some common sense, if your out for a drink late at night in Naples and walking around then should you wear it with short sleeves or a t-shirt? however during the day you might feel more comfortable?

Just make sure it's insured and if you feel comfortable then wear it, if it feels wrong to you don't or it will spoil your day thinking about it.
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:29 AM   #58
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

I just got back from Italy, I landed in Milan, travelled to Florence and then down through Rome to the Amalfi coast and ended up in Capri.

I wore my trustee 116618LN the whole time and never once felt worried or stalked. I even went to a local pizzeria in Naples (shock horror!).

Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:38 AM   #59
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_lie View Post
I just got back from Italy, I landed in Milan, travelled to Florence and then down through Rome to the Amalfi coast and ended up in Capri.

I wore my trustee 116618LN the whole time and never once felt worried or stalked. I even went to a local pizzeria in Naples (shock horror!).

I guess that'll end this, "is it safe?" Thread can't miss that puppy

I always planned on bringing my sub, but now I feel even more comfortable about it
Old 23 June 2017, 07:17 AM   #60
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
I'd say leave the YG DD at home in the safe.. but a sea dweller?
If you have it doesn't mean you have to flaunt it.. just wear it, enjoy it and don't run seven locks simultaneously.. have a nice trip and enjoy your new Rolex!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote