The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2017, 02:58 AM   #1
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Problem...

I have a problem with my Explorer 216570. It stops every couple of days completely, even with a full wind. I wear it all the time & I'm very active so it should be re-winding itself. When it stops I wind it again & after about 7 turns of the crown it begins running again. When I wind it the crown it feels a little rough on the turns.

Obviously it's time for a check-up, but does anyone know what this might be?
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:00 AM   #2
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
It could be a broken mainspring
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:29 AM   #3
Pharaoh_83
"TRF" Member

Was it ever dropped? Sounds like a mainspring
Pharaoh_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:30 AM   #4
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Sounds like a definite service how old is it?

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it runs for a couple of days after winding, then stops until wound again, it's the auto-wind mechanism.
Old 24 June 2017, 07:11 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Time to go to the spa
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Castor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
sounds like a definite service how old is it?
Old 24 June 2017, 10:46 PM   #8
Castor
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I think that Larry's right. I just hope that it's not too expensive a fix. I don't remember how long the warranty is good for...
Old 24 June 2017, 10:47 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
How many turns do you give it?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:12 PM   #10
Castor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
How many turns do you give it?
If you mean turns of the crown, I just gave it around 70. But it took at least 20 before the hands started moving.

It's funny. I just came back from a 2-week cruise on the Baltic Sea with my wife where my Explorer was my only watch & when I got back home I checked its accuracy & it was only 1 second fast after 2 weeks! Now I have this problem... Murphy's Law.
Old 24 June 2017, 11:32 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

as Larry said its the auto-wind that broken,
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Castor
"TRF" Member

OK, here's a secondary question, if someone doesn't mind answering. There are a lot of people here with a great deal more knowledge than me. I'm definitely out-of-warranty & I might not have the funds to easily do the repair in the short term. With a broken auto-wind will it do my watch any harm to simply wind it every day & wear it or should I let it wind down & put it in storage until I can get it repaired?

I THINK that the answer is that my watch will be fine, but I'd really like a knowledgable opinion. Thanks in advance!
Old 25 June 2017, 12:52 AM   #13
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Depends on what's wrong with it. There's no such thing as an "auto-wind" part. It's kind of stating the obvious to say your auto wind is broken, as we know that your watch is losing power in a couple days following a full wind, despite you wearing it normally. So yeah, any monkey can tell you your auto wind is broken. The mechanism that automatically winds your watch is comprised of several different parts that work together to auto wind your watch. You need a watchmaker to determine which part(s) is/are failing in order to tell you what specifically is wrong and what needs to be fixed.

I think Larry was being a little tongue-in-cheek.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:56 AM   #14
Castor
"TRF" Member

Well... that all became moot. Even after all the winding, it just stopped again. To the watch-maker (or AD) when I can.
Old 26 June 2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Castor
"TRF" Member

Went to my local AD. $150 just to have it sent to Toronto. Looking at spending huge bucks just for regular maintenance & painfully more to repair. I don't remember all the numbers he was throwing out, but my head was starting to spin. The AD took my watch to get an approximate evaluation as to what it would sell for as I've decided I need that ballpark value & then I'll begin to determine whether owning a Rolex is even worth the headache. I'll see in a few days & decide whether or not to keep it & use the proceeds to help fund a dive computer or a new regulator...

It's been a very long day & maybe I'm just tired... but I'm really wondering whether a Rolex is worth the expense & hassle. Get a cheap quartz anything or a Timex & if it gets destroyed or stolen on the streets of Manila, then so what?
Old 26 June 2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Went to my local AD. $150 just to have it sent to Toronto. Looking at spending huge bucks just for regular maintenance & painfully more to repair. I don't remember all the numbers he was throwing out, but my head was starting to spin. The AD took my watch to get an approximate evaluation as to what it would sell for as I've decided I need that ballpark value & then I'll begin to determine whether owning a Rolex is even worth the headache. I'll see in a few days & decide whether or not to keep it & use the proceeds to help fund a dive computer or a new regulator...

It's been a very long day & maybe I'm just tired... but I'm really wondering whether a Rolex is worth the expense & hassle. Get a cheap quartz anything or a Timex & if it gets destroyed or stolen on the streets of Manila, then so what?
OK, lets look at the reality of the situation.

Watch is broken and for whatever reason doesn't hold reserve.

Watch would go to Rolex through AD. Sounds like a broken mainspring. Will need that and a service, so after all the shipping and such, expect the bill to be around $800.00 US.

After that, the watch will be like new and carry a warranty.

If you don't want to spend the money to service, then you can EXIT Rolex now and sell the watch at a substantial loss.

Hard CASH BID from a pre-owned watch dealer on a nice, crisp and working 216570 is approx $4800 to $5000 US. That is with a no problems piece, box and papers. Present the watch and get the cash...

To cash out your watch its current state would be around $3000 US or maybe less...if you can find a buyer.

You could also get the watch fixed, then sell to get out of Rolex and the headache you are concerned about.

It just depends on how much of a hit you will take vs what you paid for the watch and also whether or not ownership of mechanical watches such as Rolex are for you....which it very well might not be...

There is no shame in punting and moving on...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 04:59 PM   #17
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Well... that all became moot. Even after all the winding, it just stopped again. To the watch-maker (or AD) when I can.
That's right.
It definitely needs a service.
Now to decide where to send it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 05:06 PM   #18
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
I'm sure you can have it fixed for less. Makes some call or send some emails.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=32666
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 07:43 PM   #19
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
OK, lets look at the reality of the situation.

Watch is broken and for whatever reason doesn't hold reserve.

Watch would go to Rolex through AD. Sounds like a broken mainspring. Will need that and a service, so after all the shipping and such, expect the bill to be around $800.00 US.

After that, the watch will be like new and carry a warranty.

If you don't want to spend the money to service, then you can EXIT Rolex now and sell the watch at a substantial loss.

Hard CASH BID from a pre-owned watch dealer on a nice, crisp and working 216570 is approx $4800 to $5000 US. That is with a no problems piece, box and papers. Present the watch and get the cash...

To cash out your watch its current state would be around $3000 US or maybe less...if you can find a buyer.

You could also get the watch fixed, then sell to get out of Rolex and the headache you are concerned about.

It just depends on how much of a hit you will take vs what you paid for the watch and also whether or not ownership of mechanical watches such as Rolex are for you....which it very well might not be...

There is no shame in punting and moving on...
I guess it comes down to how much you have in the watch already. But, I agree with Fleetlords post. It makes more sense to get the watch fixed and then decide if you want to sell it or not. Hope it all works out!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 09:33 PM   #20
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Service time.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:04 PM   #21
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
Service time.
Brilliant. Why is it people don't read the whole thread before "contributing"? This doesn't seem to happen on other forums, but it's rampant on TRF. Are Rolex owners prone to ADHD, in addition to OCD?

FYI, the OP is now wondering if he even wants to keep the watch, considering the likely service cost and cost of Rolex ownership in general.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:12 PM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It seems to me that your best way forward is getting the watch fixed, whether you decide to remain an owner or not.

$150 just to send the watch to RSC Toronto? I would contact them and see if I could just ship to them directly. Not sure how things work in Canada, but in the states that's an option.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:20 PM   #23
Pharaoh_83
"TRF" Member

Castor, I've sent you a pm with some useful info. Good luck
Pharaoh_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:52 PM   #24
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The difference in TCO (total cost of ownership) between (what I call) disposable watches and horology is significant. Each of us has to decide if it's worth it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:18 AM   #25
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . . It's been a very long day & maybe I'm just tired... but I'm really wondering whether a Rolex is worth the expense & hassle. Get a cheap quartz anything or a Timex & if it gets destroyed or stolen on the streets of Manila, then so what?
I wasn't tongue-in-cheek. The Auto-wind module is the counterbalance and reverser wheels that keep it wound. Could be it just became disconnected, which happens, or the axle or jewel is broken preventing it from turning, or the reverser wheels are jammed/broken.. But, somebody does need to look at it to determine the exact problem...

As to winding it every day, sure - no problem. A few decades ago is was not uncommon for watchmakers who didn't have parts to remove the module, turning it into a manual wind watch..
Old 27 June 2017, 04:30 AM   #26
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Most likely a broken main spring. This can happen with age as they are spring steel. Service time, either RSC or a good independent in your particular region with a parts account.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:34 AM   #27
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrist_watcher View Post
Most likely a broken main spring. This can happen with age as they are spring steel. Service time, either RSC or a good independent in your particular region with a parts account.
A side question since I have never used anyone other than RSC.
Does the independent have to provide the serial number and is then limited to parts for that watch per Rolex? In other words, if I want a different dial not part of that reference or date wheel as an example, does he have to provide serial number and Rolex tells him no on my requested change?
Old 27 June 2017, 04:37 AM   #28
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
It's a automatic watch so you should not wind it everyday. The threads at the crown and steam will be worn out quickly if
you wind it everyday, I will say fix it. If will not be cheaper to wait but maybe more expensive.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:39 AM   #29
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
A side question since I have never used anyone other than RSC.
Does the independent have to provide the serial number and is then limited to parts for that watch per Rolex? In other words, if I want a different dial not part of that reference or date wheel as an example, does he have to provide serial number and Rolex tells him no on my requested change?
I don't believe the independent have a Rolex account longer. About the dial so will Rolex trade in the old so they will only send
the same back.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:56 AM   #30
coleburns
"TRF" Member

To OP, please keep us posted on any progress. I would like to know what the fix was
coleburns is offline   Reply With Quote