The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 July 2015, 02:29 AM   #31
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
One could make the point that the sound led to the decline of unlimited hydroplane racing when the WW2 fighter plane engines injected with nitrous oxide were replaced with helicopter jet engines.

Last edited by sparky; 5 July 2015 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: spelling
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 04:48 PM   #32
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
As a lifelong car-nut and F1 fan, I really don't care about the sound at all. If they were totally silent it might bother me. At trackside they were deafening - painful.
I don't get the 'sound' issue. I value my hearing.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 06:47 PM   #33
Malak
"TRF" Member

1. Jim Clark
2. A. Senna
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2015, 01:20 PM   #34
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
The greatest?

Well in terms of adversity overcome, possibly Lauda?

The most beautiful mind? Probably Jack Brabham, as the only one who won a championship in a car of his own design.

The greatest, by sheer numbers? Schumacher, no question.

But the best?
Fangio? Jim Clark?

My vote is Senna.

When the county declares 3 days of mourning, sends the Prime Minister's DC-10 back for the body, and holds what is estimated to be the largest state funeral every attended in history (in person by an estimated one million, on global TV by tens of millions), and 20 years AFTER his death the current gladiators STILL call him the greatest there ever was, and his former team still carries his image on every car they race...

When 20 years AFTER his passing museums are breaking attendance records because people want to stand in line for hours just to be in a room with a car he drove and his old briefcase...

When the film that sweeps all the awards at Sundance and Cannes is a documentary about his life (with no input from him!) that consists of nothing but old footage and a few interviews...

When his rivals still come every year to pay their respects quietly...

When for the second time since his passing readers the world over still vote him the greatest of all time (at the millennium Sports Illustrated ran the same pole, across all of motorsport)...

When current gladiators use the theme from his weekly TV show as their ringtone...

But only after he gave given away tens of millions of his personal fortune, anonymously, to help underprivileged kids in his home country.
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2015, 07:16 PM   #35
harshad4005
"TRF" Member

Senna senna senna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harshad4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2015, 07:50 PM   #36
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
The greatest?

The most beautiful mind? Probably Jack Brabham, as the only one who won a championship in a car of his own design.

But the best?
Fangio? Jim Clark?

My vote is Senna.

When the county declares 3 days of mourning, sends the Prime Minister's DC-10 back for the body, and holds what is estimated to be the largest state funeral every attended in history (in person by an estimated one million, on global TV by tens of millions), and 20 years AFTER his death the current gladiators STILL call him the greatest there ever was, and his former team still carries his image on every car they race...

When 20 years AFTER his passing museums are breaking attendance records because people want to stand in line for hours just to be in a room with a car he drove and his old briefcase...

When the film that sweeps all the awards at Sundance and Cannes is a documentary about his life (with no input from him!) that consists of nothing but old footage and a few interviews...

When for the second time since his passing readers the world over still vote him the greatest of all time (at the millennium Sports Illustrated ran the same pole, across all of motorsport)...

When current gladiators use the theme from his weekly TV show as their ringtone...

But only after he gave given away tens of millions of his personal fortune, anonymously, to help underprivileged kids in his home country.
A good perspective and in using that logic which is not a bad approach there are bonus points for Fangio and Jack for surviving the most dangerous period of F1.

It remains a great debate which keeps are interested. The difference between F1 and many sports is not just the evolution of cars, but the fact that certain cars suit some drivers more than others.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 02:04 PM   #37
lavaman
Banned

I should add:

Greatest as far as influence?

Probably Sir Jackie Stewart (safety) and perhaps Schumi (fitness and legal aspects, global branding)
Old 12 July 2015, 12:16 AM   #38
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
lavaman, excellent synopsis. Thank you

roadsterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2015, 12:18 AM   #39
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

The sound again...I read Will Buxton's blog today and he brought it up:

"Just yesterday I was having a chat with my girlfriend’s Father about the sport and he asked me to explain why people were making a fuss about the sound of modern engines. Did it really make a difference?

I played him a video of an onboard lap from 2015 with Jenson Button’s McLaren Honda, and then Jenson Button’s 2004 Imola pole lap in the BAR Honda. His face visibly lit up with the sound of that screaming V10.

“Oh,” he smiled. “Now I understand.”"

https://willthef1journo.wordpress.co...10/rebel-yell/

Old 14 July 2015, 11:35 AM   #40
lavaman
Banned

HA!

I met Wil last year at COTA. He was a SUPER nice guy. Had a pint with him and we chatted for a moment.

Glad he is doing well since the divorce.

And thanks for kind words. At end of the day, we are all fans.

I have had privledge of seeing Senna and Schumi both race, along with Rossi (MotoGP). So, I am blessed to have seen some of the best we will ever know. Would have been something though, to see a sheep farmer from Scotland kicking everyone's ass (Clark) with an engine so dominant that the manufacturer sold it to the rest of the field so they could catch up.

Or see John Surtees go from two wheeled world champ to champ on four.

Or watch Rene and Gilles battle it out like madmen....for 2nd! And back in the days of the open paddock, to see James Hunt terrorizing the ladies, or watch him and Fittipaldi trying to get Lauda all wound up while he was giving an interview. All kinds of stuff, before it became the Circus Bernius that it is now. (Met him too, actually).

And Fangio? Great story I heard about him and Senna. The two of them were attending some F1 function, Senna had by then won his 1st or 2nd championship. They got into an elevator in Brazil or Argentina or somewhere. As the elevator (lift) is rising, it stops on a floor to pick someone up. The guy walks in, does a double take, then a triple take, smiles, and then says "Senna AND Fangio? No one is EVER gonna believe this!"

He smiled, they smiled, and the doors closed as the thunderstruck bloke walked off.

Ahh, the days before selfies.

Cheers.
Old 14 July 2015, 06:02 PM   #41
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

Cool stories, lava. Will B seems a super nice guy, good to hear he is.

I don't have any good stories of direct brushes with F1 fame, but I did have a neat experience I'll attempt to describe. One of my patients, whom had been seeing me for over a year, was brought into a exam room that i call my "guy room." It has a few black & white framed photos of 1950s F1 cars in Monaco & Monza. When I walked in, she lit up excited and said:
"I like your photos, are you an F1 fan? I know that driver, his name is Fangio. He was my father's best friend. My father wrote a chapter in a book about him. We have a photo of me as a little girl sitting (unwillingly) in his race car. I used to play with a steering wheel my dad had from a world championship car."
I got an hour behind schedule just talking about Fangio and her early life experiences which were intimately intertwined with the legendary driver. Last Christmas she brought me the book and three Kodachrome slides of his red Maserati (1957 I think). I'm still blown away. By the way, the steering wheel she had as a child is in an Argentina museum now (I asked!).

I'll be at COTA, turn 15 again this year. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Chris
The Woodlands, TX

Old 15 July 2015, 12:23 AM   #42
lavaman
Banned

Great story!!

PM me and we'll have a pint at track or afterwards. I stay for entire weekend.
Old 15 July 2015, 12:59 AM   #43
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
The greatest?

But the best?
Fangio? Jim Clark?

My vote is Senna.

Quote:
I should add:

Greatest as far as influence?

Probably Sir Jackie Stewart (safety) and perhaps Schumi (fitness and legal aspects, global branding)
I agree with this excellent analysis. I also think it's important to factor in that in the early days of Grand Prix racing, the cars were metal tubes with wheels, and steel tanks filled with fuel. Seventeen drivers died in the 1960s and 70s. The five year mortality rate for an active driver was about 20%. It took a different mindset to strap into a car then. As good as today's drivers are, they aren't required to commit their lives to the sport with every race.

My favorite? Emerson Fittipaldi. I frequently watched him in the paddocks of Indy Car racing, and he had such a somber demeanor. I took this photo of him many years ago.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 01:34 AM   #44
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I don't know about the best.....but the most fun guy was James Hunt.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:44 AM   #45
Malak
"TRF" Member

Best list

1. Jim Clark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGq06rfj5dE
2. A. Senna
3. Fangio
4. M. Schumacher
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2015, 04:35 AM   #46
lavaman
Banned

With all due respect to Fangio...

Without Emerson, there would have never been a Piquet, a Senna, a Massa, or any other driver inspired to leave their native country and travel across an ocean or sea to a land where they didn't speak the language...just to "go around in circles."

Emerson is a giant. No question.

As for Hunt, probably no question there either. Wins world championship. Goes off and raises prize winning birds for rest of his life. While being the perfect foil to Murray Walker. Brilliant man gone too soon.
Old 15 July 2015, 09:40 AM   #47
lavaman
Banned

https://youtu.be/65sy4D8L-O8

GREAT F1 fan tribute. From "1" film
Old 18 July 2015, 01:30 PM   #48
lavaman
Banned

And sadly, no longer true.

Godspeed Jules.
Old 31 July 2015, 10:47 PM   #49
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And sadly, no longer true.

Godspeed Jules.

Indeed. Tragic loss of a talented young man who was loved and respected by all.

Old 3 August 2015, 09:43 AM   #50
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
The people who know say Senna

Awesome...!!
..and from other Champions to give the nod to Senna says Alot.
Ive watched them all go thru the ranks..since the 70s @ Watkins Glen, through to Silverstone and Monaco in the late 80s .. Senna still stands out....
...Many had great moments, Senna always made his great moments..!
A true champion.....!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2015, 08:02 AM   #51
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Awesome...!!
..and from other Champions to give the nod to Senna says Alot.
Ive watched them all go thru the ranks..since the 70s @ Watkins Glen, through to Silverstone and Monaco in the late 80s .. Senna still stands out....
...Many had great moments, Senna always made his great moments..!
A true champion.....!!
Top gear comes up trumps sometimes with some great segments and reviews.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote