The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 July 2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
'60s Gruen Curvex transition

Here is a Gruen Curvex from the mid-'60s. Gruen ceased producing automatic and manual movements in about 1958 and tried to catch up with the Quartz rage taking over the watch market. I bought this one in ~1967 so it is about 40 years old.
Curvex was actually the copyrighted name for the movement which was stacked on each side to "curve" with the case., but it became associated with these very popular watch models.

Gruen was making these transition movements and fitting new and new-old-stock cases from 1958 until 1976 when it went out of business as a watch manufacturer (they also held the Waterman Pen rights for a short time);they sold the rights to market the name after 1976 to MZ Berger and Co., NY.

Beautiful yet simple design look:

Curved crystal, case, and movement:

Good and comfortable wrist fit:

Original leather strap:

10 micron gold plated back:

Gruen was a "split" company with precision works for movements and cases in Switzerland and assembly and repair works in the US, therefore, by law, they could not say Swiss Made on the dial:

Gruen watches can still be found with a modern quartz movement, but I don't believe they have ever matched the quality of the fine timepieces made from 1874 through 1958, or the equally fine transition pieces from 1958 through 1976:
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 05:40 PM   #2
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Hi!

Nice watch, super pics. I like Gruens also. Here is a link for a site that has extensive info about their history. Tis a pity they went under and destroyed all their records.

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/

and a link for a discussion site for Gruen - but not much discussing going on!!

http://timehill.proboards59.com/index.cgi

Regards

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote