The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2017, 04:25 AM   #31
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2, BLNR, PO, Nav
I've had two PO's, a 2500 and an 8500, I sold both of them. The only Omega that really sings to me is the speedy, I bought a speedy pro and that is one that is not going to leave the collection.
KeepTicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2017, 05:40 AM   #32
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Omega you referenced. I prefer the applied number fonts from the previous generations, but otherwise it's a stellar watch in my opinion. The downfall of the Planet Ocean line compared to Rolex sport watches is the thickness of the display back cases, and the overall weight.

I own a Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300 and a Rolex Explorer 214720 (with white gold non-lume numerals and short minute hand, not the current one). Fit and finish is nearly a wash. Case finishing was better on the Omega out of the box. The bracelet fit to the case is a bit tighter on the Rolex. The stock Rolex clasp is better. However the movement is better in the Omega. The timekeeping is less affected by position and remaining power reserve, and I love the jumping hour for time zone changes and changing the date. It's one of the few chronos that doesn't have screw down pushers and can be used underwater. I prefer the date window as well on Omegas compared to the Rolex with cyclops. The lume on the Omega, while not fair to compare to my Explorer, is amazing. It starts out very bright, stays bright enough to read for hours, and I love that the pip and minute hand lume are different colors from the rest of the watch.

I replaced my stock clasp with a newer micro-adjustable clasp for under $100 at a boutique. It's now fantastic on bracelet in the summer or winter, no need to fiddle with links to get the right fit.

So I say go with the Omega so long as you plan to either keep it for a long time, or assure you pay 70% of MSRP. That will make it flippable with minimal pain.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 06:03 AM   #33
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Tough call
Have a SD4k and a PO. I wore the PO pretty much every day for 5 years but since I bought the Rolex.......it's all about choices
If you go PO do yourself a favour and dont buy new they bomb in value
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 09:14 AM   #34
drfaulkner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expl II, TT DJII
this is the Omega Seamaster I have. I love it. Smaller and thinner than the PO and very comfortable. I have taken it diving to 28m with no problems. The black dial looks great too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6426-1.jpg (82.8 KB, 73 views)
drfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 11:20 AM   #35
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

I have both a Seamaster and a Sub. I will never sell either.

The Sub gets worn all the time. Both are great watches. However, if I got the Seamaster first, I would always be itching for the Sub. Both good watches, but you will not regret the Sub.

I dont think Omega quality is a level below the Rolex. But when I wear the Sub, it is a great feeling.

Omega was my favorite brand for a while, but after getting the Sub, Rolex has edged out Omega for my no 1 spot.

Thats just me, and everyone is different.

I do really like the Seamaster 300 master co ax which is not the one I have, but all my watch dollars will probably go towards Rolex from now on. Well, I might get an Omega squeezed in.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 04:19 AM   #36
AlpinweissM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/ExplorerII
I love my PO but I hate the bracelet. I purchased the Omega rubber strap and it's a lot more comfortable and honestly I think it looks better. If you were originally set on the Sub I would still go that route and look at getting a preowned PO later down the line.
AlpinweissM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2017, 04:57 AM   #37
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
If you're going to compare Omega and Rolex, you really need to figure the prices into your calculations. I have been wearing a Seamaster 600 PO for years. I have the rubber strap (looks more like leather than rubber) with the deployment clasp and it's perhaps the most comfortable watch I've ever worn. I have long coveted some Rolexes but the smaller faces on the Rolexes were an issue. 42mm for the Omega vs 40mm for Rolex doesn't seem like much, but it makes a difference for me. I'm trading my Rolex DSSD right now for something else. My Seamaster keeps AMAZING time too. I think both brands offer premium experience and style, but they're different. Rolex has more cachet but it comes down to personal preference. We're not comparing Casio to Patek Phillipe here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro