The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 July 2016, 10:01 PM   #1
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Considering This 5513 Maxi - Could use some opinions

I am strongly considering acquiring this 1983 Submariner 5513 Maxi. It is in straight, unpolished and excellent condition.

Obviously the seller is long trusted in this forum so no doubts about the seller.

My question is on the long term value / collectibility of the patina. Overall, the patina is pretty even and the watch is 100% original. Does anyone see anything about the watch (or patina) that would warrant pause from purchasing?

Additionally, does the uneven wear on the 4 o clock marker do anything value wise?

Thank you kindly TRF

http://www.matthewbaininc.com/watch-details/2126
brockburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 10:31 PM   #2
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Looks like a nice example...I don't think the dark spot on the 4 o'clock market would hurt the value too much...it doesn't list the price but seeing who it's coming from I can't imagine it has a cheap price tag on it....with that being said there are other very reputable vintage dealers that have just as nice or nicer examples available (dial) if you haven't already looked...probably save a bit also
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 10:43 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Taking your last question first...
That blemish isn't just a dark spot. It is a canary in the coal mine value wise.
It could be slight damage from some previous watchmaker who slightly touched the lume spot during a service. And may continue to erode from oxidation.
Or perhaps an original fabrication flaw.
Or a mold spore that landed there while the watch was open for servicing.

And those thoughts would dance in the heads of any future buyer if you tried to sell it onward. So IMHO that would lower value.

If this is a lifetime keeper for you, then turn that point to your benefit in your negotiations.

Otherwise it looks very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 10:45 PM   #4
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

I have actually been in the market for 4 months for a 1982-1984 matte dial sub with box and papers and truthfully this is really the only one out there. I have 12 dealer tabs open including chrono24 and check all everyday.

This watch is at $13,500 which seems to be around what other examples are listed at with box and papers.
Old 1 July 2016, 10:58 PM   #5
fizz
"TRF" Member

I went through months and months of searching before finding the Maxi 3 5513 that i now own so I say this with some experience - it will always seem like the watch you have just found is "the only one", but there are always others. This is not a very rare model or dial you are looking for but yes, with box and papers is not easy to find. You have to determine how important watch and papers are for you. Honestly the price you have quoted is very steep. The going rate for a Maxi is between 9 and 10.5k with Maxi 1 and 3 commanding those prices. That dial you have linked is a Maxi 4. Box and papers should add 2k at the most, so yeah, the price is pretty high.

Also, that blemish is probably really tiny in real life - the pictures show them as larger than they would seem. However, personally, it would bother me. Clean dials and strong thick cases seem to be what buyers prefer. If you can bargain with these points and bring the price to under 12k, that would be ideal.
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 11:53 PM   #6
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

That watch is not unpolished imho. Seems premium pricing for an 80 to 85% example. For that money i want nice patina and unpolished. Also the papers look hand written....which was fairly common for non cosc watches back them but also not much of a value boost. Also the booklet is too early for the model...not a deal killer actually a little more valuable.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 12:09 AM   #7
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I don't think the seller is claiming that it's unpolished. Looks bloody expensive to me but I'm thinking I might now be out of touch with where the market is at.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 12:13 AM   #8
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
On HQ Milton he has a gilt 1675 for that same price..and it's pretty damn nice...yes....i'm aware it isn't a 5513 but i'm just saying....
http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1966...ssy-gilt-dial5
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 12:45 AM   #9
brockburst
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you everyone for their input. If you don't ask the forum, then you really take a risk! Like many, I enjoy the art of collecting and much of that comes with the hunt.

While I am sure these will be lifetime keepers there is no way to say that for sure and I am adamant about box and papers just because I don't have a massive collection so I am curating specific examples over time.

I will pass on this one, I greatly appreciate the expertise of everyone here.
Old 5 July 2016, 04:11 AM   #10
Oren
"TRF" Member

Check out metersfirst.com. He has nice ones. I got mk1 from him at a fair price. Perfect dial and overall great shape. $13.5k is not worth it. One will come around just have to be ready.
Oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 04:30 AM   #11
Rameez-Q
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Date,
I wouldn't say the watch is unpolished, the seller doesn't state it either..
Old 5 July 2016, 06:59 AM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Doubt it's available anyway....that site isn't updated very often.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 01:04 PM   #13
oldLeatherNeck
"TRF" Member

It's probably sold.

These MAXI 3, 4, or 5 are commanding higher prices. Particularly MAXI 5, which was the last matte 5513. There aren't many of these type 5 around, hence, the highest selling prices, even higher than the meters first.

The case has definitely been polished, no doubt...
oldLeatherNeck is offline   Reply With Quote