The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 March 2017, 12:05 PM   #1
pierson
"TRF" Member

Looking for vintage Rolex - Newbie - sort of....

Ok, so maybe I'm in the wrong place (please tell me if so), but I looking for some help.

I'd love to buy a vintage sea dweller (1665), but don't really know where to go, who to trust ,what to pay... I see watched at Bobswatches, which seem well priced, but see they have been refurbished (new dial).....I go here and see prices all over.....same with eBay.

I mean, right now, the best i can think of is looking at eBay auctions and buy something others are at least bidding on (i know that is nuts).

just don't want to end up being the sucker....

i have no issue buying a watch that has real wear or even some replacement parts (heck, i can't afford mint), but just don't want to get taken.

any advice? i've done a lot of research, but am realizing more and more that i know nothing like you guys!
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 12:34 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I would keep an eye on usual suspects like hqmilton, lunaroyster, iconicwatches (Michael Morgan's site), 10past10, ciani etc.... Also keep eye open on vrf classified and classified here. While you hunt, research the reference on dial variances etc to be prepared. I wouldn't buy on eBay unless you had the opportunity to examine in person with a watchmaker. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 01:22 PM   #3
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I would keep an eye on usual suspects like hqmilton, lunaroyster, iconicwatches (Michael Morgan's site), 10past10, ciani etc.... Also keep eye open on vrf classified and classified here. While you hunt, research the reference on dial variances etc to be prepared. I wouldn't buy on eBay unless you had the opportunity to examine in person with a watchmaker. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
THANK YOU! really appreciate it.
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 02:58 PM   #4
The moose
Banned

You might be able to get some useful info here:

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/double-red-seadweller/
The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:54 PM   #5
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I purchased from Kirill at lunaroyster.com, and Cameron at craftandtailored.com...both great condition at reasonable (retail) prices.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
It takes a very long time to find a good vintage watch, especially such as a seadweller because less were manufactured than let's say the explorer or the sub. Lot's of them aren't in good condition, because they were used by real divers and no matter how great Rolex steel might be, salt water is corrosive...Most people who bought watches 50 years ago didn't keep the box or papers and were delighted to get their Rolex polished when servicing their watche....You really need to be very knowledgeable to recognized a good specimen... Frankly I see a lot of "junk" and I am often amazed by what people buy. Sellers, even very reputable sellers will usually give you very little info up-front / in the watch description. They will answer all the questions you ask, but you need to know what to precisely ask. The best thing you can do is to study,ask lot's of questions, buy books and be patient, patience is your friend. Also reputable sellers, and some are mentioned already, will give you a couple of days to send the watch back should you not like it. It's also not a bad idea to travel to see the watch. If I buy a $30-60k watch, you bet I am going to buy the $300 airline ticket and go check it out in person before handing that much money to someone I may not know.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:42 AM   #7
soweis101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal oak 38mm
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ler-1665-A1129
I bought a few watches from them. They are one of the best. You can trust them and know exactly what you are buying.
soweis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 11:13 AM   #8
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

x2

Do as much research as you can (e.g., reading up on DRSD.com and reviewing all past FS listings and photos here on TRF and on the sites listed in Sensui's post, reading seller feedback on "Who's who") and I recommend getting the best condition you can based on what you can afford (e.g., unpolished, patina, etc. as per your personal preference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote