The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 March 2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Qtip.416
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/1016/5513
Price of GMT 1675/16710 inserts?

Hi guys,
I'm starting to explore the exciting and crazy world of vintage Rolex. So much to learn and I've read dozens of threads here over the months. Thanks to all who have contributed to this great forum, especially in the GMT Master domain.

I'm starting to look at used Pepsi inserts and quite confused at the huge range of prices. I gather that anything that has faded to a nice fuchsia colour will command a huge premium and anything in the blueberry colour will be astronomical due to its scarcity.

My question is how is one to judge where a preowned bezel is worth $200 or $2000? Are some more desirable than others? They are all over the place in price and hard judge what is the correct price. Perhaps there is no correct price, and it depends on how much one is willing to pay?

How do you judge what to pay when you purchase?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.
Q
Old 14 March 2017, 10:00 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER

It's very much like buying the watch. Not all GMT 1675s or 16750s are the same price. Price spreads can go from a few thousand to five figures plus for a watch.

Insert pricing, like watches, is based on condition - and for inserts it would also include fading, the type of fade and the era of the insert. Scratched and damaged inserts obviously do not demand a premium when compared to nicer ones. For a nice, correct insert from around 1970, expect to pay $1,000-$1500 for one with some nice patina or fading with minimal to no scratches. Mint condition vintage inserts are not found that often - just like the watches.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtip.416 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm starting to explore the exciting and crazy world of vintage Rolex. So much to learn and I've read dozens of threads here over the months. Thanks to all who have contributed to this great forum, especially in the GMT Master domain.

I'm starting to look at used Pepsi inserts and quite confused at the huge range of prices. I gather that anything that has faded to a nice fuchsia colour will command a huge premium and anything in the blueberry colour will be astronomical due to its scarcity.

My question is how is one to judge where a preowned bezel is worth $200 or $2000? Are some more desirable than others? They are all over the place in price and hard judge what is the correct price. Perhaps there is no correct price, and it depends on how much one is willing to pay?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.
Q
GMT Master Domain? Where is that?
Shichinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I've seen several recently for $2,000... $3,000 and even $4,000! Choose one that's period-correct for the watch, and good luck!
Old 14 March 2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichinin View Post
GMT Master Domain? Where is that?
All over the place.
Old 14 March 2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
All over the place.
Thought so. Thanks
Shichinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichinin View Post
Thought so. Thanks
Old 15 March 2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Qtip.416
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Have a great day.
Old 16 March 2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Paul
"TRF" Member

Just thinking out loud really ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtip.416 View Post
Hi guys,

My question is how is one to judge where a preowned bezel (insert) is worth $200 or $2000? .........

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers.
Q

It's getting harder to source good vintage parts and I think value is starting to become a very personal thing. A particular part may have enormous value to me but a lot less to you, or vice-versa.

Ten years back, plenty of spares were coming to the market. 60s' inserts all traded for a similar price, 70s' inserts had their general price, and a similar thing applied for dials, hands and bracelets. Fast forward to today and we are seeing a lot less interesting items come up for sale. This means a stubborn seller can now market a rare part at a truly silly price, sit back and wait a few months if necessary and someone will buy it. Simply put, if the part is rare enough, there'll be someone out there who will want it and be prepared to pay for it. Sometimes a buyer will conclude that $1k spent will add $2k value to their prized watch ..... other times they're simply tired of waiting for what they need and fear that it may be 5 years til another one comes available. This is especially true for early dials - just so hard to find now

And back to inserts. I badly wanted a 5F insert ( Fantastic Faded Fat Font ) that a good forum friend had closing on eBay today. It sold at a reasonable $1.5k and would easily add more value than that to one of my early Subs. The bids went past my budget so I missed out .... and what's the bet I'll have to pay $2.5k for something similar next year. And five years back, something similar could be picked up for about $300

Why does this make me think of tulips ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Orig...vip=true&rt=nc
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 05:49 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
5F insert ( Fantastic Faded Fat Font )

Why does this make me think of tulips ?

That's 4F my friend!

Tulips?
Old 16 March 2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Paul
"TRF" Member

Tulip mania .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
That's 4F my friend!

Tulips?

Tulip Mania .... a metaphor for when the trading value of an asset bears no relation to its intrinsic value. Goes back to the mid 1600s' when the value of certain tulip bulbs rapidly climbed to stratospheric levels. At its peak, folk were offering up sizeable tracts of land (up to 12 acres Wiki tells me) in exchange for a single tulip bulb. Spectacular growth in value was followed by a spectacular fall and lots of folk lost lots of money. Go figure.

A vintage Rolex example circa 2017 ... some might say a bakelite 6542 insert would fit under the metaphorical 'Tulip Mania' umbrella. A piece of primitive plastic produced back in the day for perhaps $2 ( just a guess ) .... trading at anything up to $20k sixty years later.

In reality, we're a long way from Tulip Mania but IMHO asking prices for certain vintage Rolex spares really are getting silly. Like I said though, I'm just thinking out loud really - I may be completely off track.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 05:19 AM   #12
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
If you can, find the watch you want with the right insert already on included....

Quote:
I may be completely off track.
Nahh - you were only off by one F
Old 17 March 2017, 06:20 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tulip Mania .... a metaphor for when the trading value of an asset bears no relation to its intrinsic value. Goes back to the mid 1600s' when the value of certain tulip bulbs rapidly climbed to stratospheric levels. At its peak, folk were offering up sizeable tracts of land (up to 12 acres Wiki tells me) in exchange for a single tulip bulb. Spectacular growth in value was followed by a spectacular fall and lots of folk lost lots of money. Go figure.

A vintage Rolex example circa 2017 ... some might say a bakelite 6542 insert would fit under the metaphorical 'Tulip Mania' umbrella. A piece of primitive plastic produced back in the day for perhaps $2 ( just a guess ) .... trading at anything up to $20k sixty years later.

In reality, we're a long way from Tulip Mania but IMHO asking prices for certain vintage Rolex spares really are getting silly. Like I said though, I'm just thinking out loud really - I may be completely off track.
I don't think you're off track and it has gotten far above that mark (the trading value of an asset bears no relation to its intrinsic value)....but I think the sky's the limit for these pieces now. It amazes me how fast and consistent nice pieces/parts sell at astronomical prices sell daily (like vultures fighting over dead meat)....so we're definitely nowhere near the peak of most of the pieces IMO.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Qtip.416
"TRF" Member

Some interesting discussions here.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this 16750 bezel that I'm considering.

Does it look correct and what is the market price for one? Too much wear on the bezel? Thank you.