The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 March 2017, 05:43 AM   #1
kat100
"TRF" Member

4768 and 6605

My husband inherited these two Rolexes from his father a couple of years ago, lucky guy. We're not sure of the full provenance, our impression is that he has had them for decades and might have picked them up in Switzerland while he was periodically there on business from 1958-1960.

The 4768 has serial #: 584xxx, likely 1960?
The 6605 has serial #: 266xxx, likely 1957?

We don't know what servicing has been done in the past while his father owned them. My husband had the 6605 recently serviced by a local guy(old Armenian jeweler) and the 4768 should be serviced and fully appraised. The 4768 works and keeps accurate time. Neither one of us are Rolex enthusiasts, I got involved in doing research for these watches as he's not interested in the technical aspects and I'm the tech person in the house. Plus I had to set up a Wolf winder for him that I gave him for Christmas. This forum has been a great resource for information. Thanks to everyone.

So I have a couple of questions. From what I've read, it would seem that parts are difficult to procure for both models. My husband has started wearing the 6605 almost daily, his job is pretty sedentary as a scientist but he is somewhat careless. Our concern would be the daily wear and tear and whether it would make sense to have a different daily wearer and to keep the others as special occasion/infrequent wearers. The other question is who should we send the 4768 to for servicing? LA Watchworks, ABC, Rik? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex4768_1.jpg (88.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6605_1.jpg (204.2 KB, 107 views)
kat100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 06:59 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The 6605 is fine for daily wear especially if it has been serviced. Parts are not terribly difficult for the 1065 movement. I would agree 1957. A very nice example!

Serial number lists are of no value on non oyster watches like your chronograph...which is...absolutely phenomenal....
It is 1940's most likely.

Unless you plan on wearing the Chronograph regularly....I probably wouldn't spend the money servicing it. I'd just leave it and marvel at how wonderful it is.

Or just mail it to me and I'll give it a nice home :-)
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2017, 01:24 PM   #3
kat100
"TRF" Member

"The 6605 is fine for daily wear especially if it has been serviced. Parts are not terribly difficult for the 1065 movement. I would agree 1957. A very nice example! "

Good to know about the daily wear.

"Serial number lists are of no value on non oyster watches like your chronograph...which is...absolutely phenomenal....
It is 1940's most likely."

Phenomenal... yes, I was very pleased about its condition, particularly after seeing many other examples on the internet that have tarnished. It's been worn but not that much wear. Lightly used. Lugs are in great condition vs the welding that I've seen on others. What distinguishes which year it is? Hands, dial, other? If the back was opened, would there be an indicator for year?

"Unless you plan on wearing the Chronograph regularly....I probably wouldn't spend the money servicing it. I'd just leave it and marvel at how wonderful it is.

Or just mail it to me and I'll give it a nice home :-)"

LOL. It's probably destined for the safe deposit box until my teen son finishes grad school. :-) I have a funny story about the chronograph. My husband has a brother and they were divying up the various watches that were available as part of the estate. Neither one knew the real value of Rolexes. Well, his brother chose a Seiko chronograph over the 4768. Go figure.
kat100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 03:12 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I'd die to own that Chrono.

It's superb really.

There really isn't going to be much of an indicator on that watch year wise.

Assuming and it looks to be, that the dial is original and not refinished you know it's pre 1953 because it says SWISS MADE instead of SWISS.

I have catalogues from 48 that show that almost exact watch....it's just screaming 40's to me.

I hope said teenage son...has some appreciation for what it is...most kids today...would rather have an Apple Watch...

:-/
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote